Nicholls's Potential Bonus

rebusrankin

In the Sun today, Friessen had a column speculating on Nicholl's contract and Willy's. Essentially he stated that Nicholls has a potential $100,000 bonus and was wondering if the Bombers could afford to pay it and stay under the cap. My questions were:

1. How much of Willy's deal is based on bonuses?

I mean if he has $100,000 in bonuses, the contracts essentially cancel each other out. If its say $25,000, that's only a 75k difference not 100k.

2. If a player is on the 6 game IR, their contract does not count against the SMS, correct?

Thus for example, how much have we saved having Jeff Keeping on it for the entire year so far? Same question for the likely 6 games Neufeld is on. Do we save enough between the two to make up the bonus. For examkple, Keeping will be on for at least half the season. If he makes 80 k, that's a savings of 40k. Neufeld makes about 140k according to reports. 6 games would save 47k. Add the two together and that's 87k. 

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

1. I thought Willy's was straight up pay, not bonuses.

2. If they stay on the 6-game, the whole time, it does not count. If they come off the 6 game early, everything counts retroactively, including the games missed.

You are correct on #2.

As far as the amount of Willy's contract that is incentive based noboday seems to know. We just know from media reports from the time of the extension signing that the bonuses are based on playing time. It would be nice to know what his base salary is. Do any of you folks call into H&L? It would be a good question to ask.

20 minutes ago, MyDogHasScheifeles said:

As far as the amount of Willy's contract that is incentive based noboday seems to know. We just know from media reports from the time of the extension signing that the bonuses are based on playing time. It would be nice to know what his base salary is. Do any of you folks call into H&L? It would be a good question to ask.

You're right and I'm totally speculating....

It seems odd if Willy were to sign an incentive laden contract given that he's been banged up so much over the past few years and he came into the season as the Bombers starter. You would think that he could demand a "fixed" amount (no incentives), with bonuses being paid upfront and not based on performance.

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

You're right and I'm totally speculating....

It seems odd if Willy were to sign an incentive laden contract given that he's been banged up so much over the past few years and he came into the season as the Bombers starter. You would think that he could demand a "fixed" amount (no incentives), with bonuses being paid upfront and not based on performance.

I think due to his relatively small body of work at that point Walters must have pushed for the contract to be structured in such a way.

4 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Would trading/getting rid of the off injured high salary of Paddy Neufeld fix this problem down the road if it came to it?

could certainly help, but cant get rid of him /keeping with out some one who can stay healthy. Both have spent much/all of the season on the ir so i dont think they have counted against the cap for much. Maybe if both get healthy we could flip them to some one desperate for a younger/healthy ni ol body. Doesnt even have to be a very warm body. 

Lawless on the radio says Willys whole $400000 is garanteed after week 9.

If he is correct then everything I thought I knew about Willy's contract is false. For the record either he is correct and Penton is wrong. Willy could be cut by LB  or Lawless is wrong and Penton is right and Willy remains a Bomber till the end of the year.

10 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

could certainly help, but cant get rid of him /keeping with out some one who can stay healthy. Both have spent much/all of the season on the ir so i dont think they have counted against the cap for much. Maybe if both get healthy we could flip them to some one desperate for a younger/healthy ni ol body. Doesnt even have to be a very warm body. 

There's certainly enough new players that have came in and performed well this season for the bombers. Finding the cap space by releasing an under achieving, over paid vet shouldn't be a problem if we ever had to compete with the cap due to Nichols bonuses. 

Just now, Arnold_Palmer said:

There's certainly enough new players that have came in and performed well this season for the bombers. Finding the cap space by releasing an under achieving, over paid vet shouldn't be a problem if we ever had to compete with the cap due to Nichols bonuses. 

I agree for the most part the only wrinkle is that those two vets are Canadians. What kind of Canadian depth do we have behind Goosen and Kongo?

10 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

not at NI ol. 

12 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Just have to make that decision to cut the vet before their money is guaranteed the rest of the year: 

Qualified as a Veteran of Entitled to 100% salary after

Six years or more 9th Regular Season game

Five years 10th Regular Season game

Four years 11th Regular Season game

Edited by Chaosmonkey

43 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Would trading/getting rid of the off injured high salary of Paddy Neufeld fix this problem down the road if it came to it?

Neufeld has a lot more value, to the Bombers than Willy at this point, so if it comes to a cap crunch, Willy and his bloated salary have to go.

Never understood why once we have QB depth, people are in such a hurry to dispose of it.

Look down the line right now at the 6 playoff teams.

The backup quarterbacks, without Willy in the equation, would shake down like this:

Kilgore, Burris, Masoli, Tate, Lulay, Dominique Davis

... other than Kilgore, would anyone be in a worse position than us come playoff time?

I feel bad for Willy, honestly. It's sad how people have turned on him.

Just now, Mike said:

Never understood why once we have QB depth, people are in such a hurry to dispose of it.

The backup quarterbacks, without Willy in the equation, would shake down like this:

... other than Kilgore, would anyone be in a worse position than us come playoff time?

He made his own bed imo. I agree that it would be pretty foolish to let go of him at this point though,

27 minutes ago, Mike said:

27 minutes ago, Mike said:

People have not "turned" on Willy, but have given up on his being an elite CFL quarterback in line with his paycheque. And, incidentally, so have his teammates apparently. Any quarterback who has the same record on any team in the CFL would be in the same position. We all would have been ecstatic to have Willy perform at the same level as Collaros or Harris or heck, even Jennings. But he didn't and there are consequences to actions or lack thereof.

Edited by tracker