The Happy Honker goes to...

I can't impersonate Cactus Jack. He's a legend. One player that might fit is that little feller that covered big schmo receiver on the long pass to the end zone during an incompletion, broke up passing plays, played his first career CFL game, and intercepted an O'Reilly pass late in the game, deep in our zone and took it back to mid field, Fred Freddie Fredrick's.

3 hours ago, Rod Black said:

I can't impersonate Cactus Jack. He's a legend. One player that might fit is that little feller that covered big schmo receiver on the long pass to the end zone during an incompletion, broke up passing plays, played his first career CFL game, and intercepted an O'Reilly pass late in the game, deep in our zone and took it back to mid field, Fred Freddie Fredrick's.

I'd second this, his timely interception virtually saved the win.  In truth the entire secondary deserves a standing ovation,

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

19 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I second this, his timely interception virtually saved the win.  In truth the entire secondary deserves a standing ovation,

frederick and loffler deserve tons of praise. Frederick was chris randle esq out there and as a first timer thats insane. That pick really did save the game. 

I was very impressed with Frederick.  He had good coverage, a couple big hits and a pick against some very good receivers.  Can't ask for anything more from a guy who's been with the team for like a month and was making his 1st start.

5 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Love Frederick's game last night, but my shout out goes to Loffler. Big hits all night and he kept Bowman from catching at least 2 deep balls. 

that boomer down by the goal line was something else...man. 

22 minutes ago, Atomic said:

It's nice when we can have a rookie Canadian step in and we say something other than "Well he wasn't that bad"

It's nice when we can have a rookie Canadian step in and not feel like we need to hide him somewhere on the defense.  Solid outing from Loffler and is turning out to be a steal from this past draft.

Frederick, Loffler and Bond all had impressive games for newcomers. Really good to see. Get Adams and Randle healthy and that secondary looks pretty good with some depth even. 

Bond was a steam roller on the offensive line. In the first half Harris rolled up a ton of yardage just running to the left side of the line because Bond was moving his guy out of the way and giving him a hole. Really made the offense tick and when they stopped going to Harris as much in the 2nd half things started to sputter because this team sucks on 2nd and long. 

5 minutes ago, do or die said:

Loffler looks like a guy who can actually make some plays at S.....upgrade on Macho..

I think he fits into the role of traditional Safety better than Macho but not sure he will be as good at the hybrid stuff that is required in Hall's D, playing up and blitzing.  I wouldn't be surprised if they played in rotation for the rest of the year.

1 minute ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I think he fits into the role of traditional Safety better than Macho but not sure he will be as good at the hybrid stuff that is required in Hall's D, playing up and blitzing.  I wouldn't be surprised if they played in rotation for the rest of the year.

I think if they send Loffler on the blitz the QB won't be getting up

OK, I'll give this another go (maybe this will be my schtick):

Well folks, the Blue Bombers limped into this game with a record of one win and four losses, and if you listened to the experts all week, they didn't stand much of a chance against the Edmonton Eskimos, who were coming into this game having lost a game to the Hamilton Tiger-Cats where they gave up a 25 point lead, and were in a bad mood because of it, no doubt. Well wouldn't you know that the Bombers, led by new quarterback Jeff Nicholls (sic) took the ball on the opening drive and put up a major score thanks to a big catch from Winston Dressler (sic) and a touchdown run on a 3rd down gamble by running back Trevor Harris that really set the tone for the kind of game it was going to be.

And we had a big night from kicker Trevor Kennard, er, Justin Medlock who was a perfect 5 for 5. And we saw Harris run for over 100 yards and that touchdown he scored. And we saw a couple of sacks from the defensive line tonight that helped the cause. But the big plays I saw tonight came from the Bomber secondary, who because of injury were hastily cobbled together and facing maybe the best passer in the league in Mike Reilly, not to be confused with ex-Bomber coach Mike Riley, who led this club to glory the last time they won the Grey Cup so many years ago.

BUT I DIGRESS...........

This unit played hard all night, breaking up passes and covering the dangerous duo of Adarius Bowman and Darrell Walker (sic) all night long like a blanket, We saw Bruce Johnson return and make some key plays knocking down passes, and Kevin Fogg had the task of covering Bowman most of the night and did a wonderful job of keeping him at bay and more than once delivering a big hit to break up the pass and leaving Bowman lying on the ground in pain. And he returned punt to boot, not to be forgotten.

But as you know, the Happy Honker Award goes to the player who did that something extra special during the game, and with the way the secondary played tonight after being thrown together so quickly and against an opponent so ready for redemption, the Happy Honker Award comes from a member of this group.

In the second quarter of this game Eskimo receiver, what's his name??? #3 - Nattee Ad-jay, did I say that right [Bob Irving injecting "yes, Natey Adjai, Cactus"] went up for a pass that was high but in his hands, and would have been a big first down catch for Edmonton at that point. But Bomber defender #35 Terrence Frederick timed his hit perfectly and broke up the pass, and hitting Adjai so hard he was a non-factor the rest of the contest.

And then again, late in the 4th quarter with the Eskimos coming on and looking like they might score to get close to the Bombers, Fredericks again appeared in front of a Mike Reilly pass intended for Derel Walker (writer's note: he'd usually get the name right after a few chances) and intercepted it 43 yards to cap things off and snuff out the threat, and the Bombers were on their way to their first win at Commonwealth stadium in a decade. So for those two big plays and for being a part of a secondary which controlled the game so well all night long, the Happy Honker Award goes to #35 Terrence Frederick. Let's hear you fans! (forgetting that it is a road game and no Eskimo fans driving home will be honking, or even tuned in to the CJOB broadcast).