The Joke that is the Winnipeg Blue Bomber franchise

IC Khari

What's the best way to teach your dog to roll over and play dead? Have him watch a couple of Bomber games.

How are the Bombers like my neighbours? They can't pick up a single yard ...

Want to hear a Bomber's joke? Mike O'Shea ...

Edited by IC Khari

14 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I am not sure about that. A win in 07 likely would have prevented Mike Kelly from coming here and starting the downward spiral he did. He took a hatchet to the roster and gutted everything and was so causitc he was fired immediately and we got into another rebuild which was followed up by another rebuild. A win in 07 though the pressure in 08 is gone and Berry and Taman likely get more time before they start looking for the next guy and maybe the roster isn't gutted in one fell swoop. Team has been spinning it's tires every since They decided to can Berry and bring in Kelly. 

this is a great point... prior to 2007 there were ups and downs... but not consistent garbage like we've seen over the past 8 seasons (2011 aside)...

I always think about how different things would be if we even won in 2001... Hamilton would have the longest drought right now, going back to 1999...

7 minutes ago, Mike said:

This probably sounds ridiculous but if "experienced head coach" is part of the criteria for what we'd be looking for with an O'Shea replacement, the guy at the top of my list very well could be Jeff Reinebold.

Why Reinebold Mike?   is it because he has gained experience since he sped out of here on his hog....I'm being serious, maybe you have something there...He was an excellent motivator just couldn't turn into success.. Now coupled with a lot more experience, could he make it work as head honcho???I wonder if we're daring enough to give it a shot???Fans remember his record here and will probably do a face plant IF this ever happened BUT ya just never know in this wackey league..

1 hour ago, Mike said:

This probably sounds ridiculous but if "experienced head coach" is part of the criteria for what we'd be looking for with an O'Shea replacement, the guy at the top of my list very well could be Jeff Reinebold.

Said same thing last page. He has been around a few really good head coaches since he left a lot more prepared for the job. If you could get two really good coordinators around him he would be successful.

1 hour ago, Stickem said:

Why Reinebold Mike?   is it because he has gained experience since he sped out of here on his hog....I'm being serious, maybe you have something there...He was an excellent motivator just couldn't turn into success.. Now coupled with a lot more experience, could he make it work as head honcho???I wonder if we're daring enough to give it a shot???Fans remember his record here and will probably do a face plant IF this ever happened BUT ya just never know in this wackey league..

Not the same coach we got rid of 20 years ago, to say the least. Look at the coaches who have hired him since then. Trestman ... Austin ... he's got the support of some very well respected coaches within CFL circles and suffice it to say that if you actually equipped the guy with some talent, 20 years later he might actually be able to do something with it.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

Not the same coach we got rid of 20 years ago, to say the least. Look at the coaches who have hired him since then. Trestman ... Austin ... he's got the support of some very well respected coaches within CFL circles and suffice it to say that if you actually equipped the guy with some talent, 20 years later he might actually be able to do something with it.

Someone interviewed Reinbold about a week ago regarding O'Shea's current situation and he commiserated with him.  He's pretty happy where he's at and it doesn't sound like he has the ambition or wants the added stress of becoming a HC again.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Plus if you put him under a GM instead of giving him both roles perhaps it turns out different too. I am a believer in giving people 2nd chances if they earn it so I wouldn't be totally opposed, but I still think the biggest problem here is the GM. 

Go to Calgary at season's end, offer Huf any and everything to come here and be the end-all be-all if he wants. Head coach and GM, player personnel too if he wants. That's the splash of hope this franchise might need at this point. There were some quiet rumblings he wasn't thrilled to have to give up coaching for Dickenson to stay there. Maybe he still has the coaching bug.

4 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Go to Calgary at season's end, offer Huf any and everything to come here and be the end-all be-all if he wants. Head coach and GM, player personnel too if he wants. That's the splash of hope this franchise might need at this point. There were some quiet rumblings he wasn't thrilled to have to give up coaching for Dickenson to stay there. Maybe he still has the coaching bug.

OH PLEASE LET THIS BE SOMETHING THAT COULD HAPPEN!!!

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 0:14 PM, 17to85 said:

Plus if you put him under a GM instead of giving him both roles perhaps it turns out different too. I am a believer in giving people 2nd chances if they earn it so I wouldn't be totally opposed, but I still think the biggest problem here is the GM. 

I'm ******* speechless......I didn't realize just how bumbed-out you and Mike are over the Bombers until reading the Reinbold stuff.

It's really not that bad, if we can get a starting centre the run game will improve and take the heat off the passing game. I still think we need a Bighill type of skill set in the middle of the D as we don't have that impact from the position that you need.

Walters has some assets he can deal if he has to but it's only a player or two away from being salvageable at this point.

1 hour ago, pigseye said:

I'm ******* speechless......I didn't realize just how bumbed-out you and Mike are over the Bombers until reading the Reinbold stuff.

It's really not that bad, if we can get a starting centre the run game will improve and take the heat off the passing game. I still think we need a Bighill type of skill set in the middle of the D as we don't have that impact from the position that you need.

Walters has some assets he can deal if he has to but it's only a player or two away from being salvageable at this point.

We are several players away from making a run at the payoffs, and you can put lipstick on that oinker if you like.

5 minutes ago, tracker said:

We are several players away from making a run at the payoffs, and you can put lipstick on that oinker if you like.

Don't get me wrong, we can't compete with the top teams in the league and given our schedule, we are right were we should be at 1 - 4, just flip the Montreal & Hamilton games around.

We should be a bottom rung playoff team save for a couple positions. A top rung playoff contender, no, you are right in saying that we are still many players away from that.

4 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Don't get me wrong, we can't compete with the top teams in the league and given our schedule, we are right were we should be at 1 - 4, just flip the Montreal & Hamilton games around.

We should be a bottom rung playoff team save for a couple positions. A top rung playoff contender, no, you are right in saying that we are still many players away from that.

I would guess we are about 5-6 players away from competing for the playoffs: quarterback, two O-linemen, one defensive end, a middle linebacker, and two d-backs. Probably one, maybe two receivers as well.

5 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Rumour has it that Huf likes his mountain view.  In other news the rumour that "Garbage Hill" is to be declared the second highest mountain in Manitoba is a bold faced lie.

17 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Rumour has it that Huf likes his mountain view.  In other news the rumour that "Garbage Hill" is to be declared the second highest mountain in Manitoba is a bold faced lie.

That is what the Illuminati would have you believe- the reptilian bastards.

On 7/25/2016 at 4:22 PM, IC Khari said:

I am having a week where I just want to vent so my posts could be construed as pretty negative ;), but what must fans who have never seen this team win think?  All these promises year after year and while it's early in the season, seemingly no forward movement. Gaging my son's friends (30 somethings), the team being down so long and them never having the benefit of good Bomber recollections, has produced a Bomber populace uprising (if you want to use that term) against our beloved Blue and Gold squad amongst many younger fans. Not all are diehards like in here. I believe a majority of fans see the team as being mismanaged/run by a board who is concerned with looking good and meeting the financial obligations but with no idea or apparent interest in hiring those who can put a winning team on the field. Whether that's fair or not, the proof is in the pudding as they say. The pudding looks pretty yucky so far.

I always find it funny when people bring up the board of directors and their focus on financial obligations. That's the whole purpose of a board of directors! I always laugh when people suggest getting rid of or abolishing the board... it's not an easy task and if people think decision making is bad now, imagine how it'd be with no formal process in place. Reminds me of how during the recent federal election the NDP campaigned on abolishing the Senate.

That said, the Bombers have been too bad for far too long... as someone who's never seen them when a Grey Cup (born in '89) I guess the closest  thing to them being good was Jones/Stegall years, at least I've had the opportunity to see that! Personally, I can't wait for hockey season to start, not because I like the Jets, but because they're going to be bottom-feeds like the Blue and Gold this year and then Jets fans can stop complaining about how bad the bombers are...