Coach Mike' Everything is' O'Shae

After hearing the coach state that  he didn't think the Bombers got blown out in Calgary and that they played a good 4th quarter i have to question if he is fit to coach this team. I know he admitted the 2nd and 3rd were garbage but to take anything positive from the 4th quarter when Calgary rushed 3 men on defence and looked totally disinterested until they realized they took the pedal off the gas too quickly  is ridiculous and patronizing to fans. The fact is Calgary's  defence had no problem stopping Willy and Co. late in the 4th when it kinds/sorta mattered.

He may have been using this as a way to boost his teams confidence but if they are that fragile then the problems run deeper than  what has been uncovered during the first two games. He may turn this around and make this post seem foolish but I doubt it at this point. Moreover, it may not all be his fault as there are many problems from poor o-line play, Willy having happy feet, the secondary and d-line looking weaker American beer!

I was a huge fan of his play calling when he was special teams coach for the Argos but he has not been able to translate that to his management of this team as head coach and unfortunately it may be time to put an end to this experiment that is becoming more and more similar to the Tim Burke, Jim Daley and dare i say Reinebold eras( he only has 6 more wins than Reinebold did in 4 more games!!)

I believe some coaches are made for the top job whereas some are better suited to be assistants and  Coach Mike 'Everything is ' O'Shea may be better suited to be an assistant.

On one hand, his remarks disgusted me.  On another, what is he going to say?  Its hard to judge.  But he seems laxidaisical and that seems to be the culture of the team.

Its somewhat moot.  He's either going to be here for the turn around or he's going to be canned at season's end.  I guess it depends how itchy Wade's finger gets.  They have two potential HC's on staff so they could can him mid-season with hopes of a turn around.  But hard to make full scale changes mid-season.  Then again, there must be consequences.  if MOS deserves to be fired, he should be fired and not wait til seasons end just because.

We might know by week 5/6.  When's the bye week?

I'm not a huge O'Shea fan (especially as a head coach) but I think he's grasping for positives and trying to maintain some semblance of positive vision for his team and the community at large.

Even if the bombers were mangled 53-0 he'd manage to speak about his team's best drive and when they stopped the opposition two and out. The Power of Positive Thinking - to be sure - - - - but it doesn't go down well with rabid sports fans who known when their team gets whupped!

I missed the coach's show but from the remarks I am reading it was the same old same old. That is the problem with this team. While I believe a coach has to have his players back he also has to be brutally honest about their performance as well. Not only the players but the coaches as well. To date I don't see that at all. And I'm beginning to see a resort clubhouse type of mannerism from everyone; no one appears remotely p.... o... about the past two games; no one is holding anyone accountable for the multiple mistakes that are made; see very little emotion on the sidelines which all add up to we will play the game as the coaches tell us and if we lose se la vie! We get paid and will go at it again next wee,.

It is about time someone, anyone lit a fire under the butts of these guys. Motivate them, kick them in the you know where if need be, bench them for poor execution or play, make them accountable! I have a distinct feeling that in BC for example, that Buono, who if you watch him on the sidelines, doesn't normally get upset with a missed assignment or whatever but look closer and you can see his assistants with a great deal of emotion and talking to players when they come off, hence a team that was projected to be near the bottom is all of a sudden 2-0 and leading the west. Call it coincidence or call it good coaching and accountability. OShea will never hold his players accountable as he believes their peers will do that job - wrong! If the staff don't do it the players won't either because each and every one of them are looking after themselves. Gone are the days or Ritchie or Murphy or Grant or Riley. This is the day to coddle the players and play personnel manager rather than taskmaster and leader. God help us when we wake up and our record is now 0-6. That by the way is only 4 weeks away.

We are bound to win every now and again, just as a blind squirrel will find the odd nut. I hope that whatever win comes for the Bombers will come as a result of the Bombers playing well, not as a result of the other team not showing up for the game. The two points would be nice, but a win by default because the other team sucks worse will do nothing for the restless fans or team confidence.

30 minutes ago, tracker said:

We are bound to win every now and again, just as a blind squirrel will find the odd nut. I hope that whatever win comes for the Bombers will come as a result of the Bombers playing well, not as a result of the other team not showing up for the game. The two points would be nice, but a win by default because the other team sucks worse will do nothing for the restless fans or team confidence.

A win every so often will just postpone the inevitable. Mike O'Shea isn't head coach material. He's got a rather strange philosophy about handling a pro team and its leaning to a country club atmosphere. I don't think Richie Hall would take another shot at head coaching either - he's quite happy relegated to the press box and being labelled a 'defensive genius'. (He's not!)

Paul LaPolice would be the natural ascendant to the throne but many have their doubts about Lapolice's ability to handle men and enforce detail. He really sagged after Coach Richard died in his office a few years back. Paul is a very good TV analyst - he might take the team on if O'Shea gets canned but it would be an interim position because Paul is smart enough to ask for a guaranteed standard 3 yr coach's contract.

If O'Shea continues to coach losing football with all the double talk that repulses knowledgeable fans Miller might just let him run out the string - while making some serious considerations about who he wants coaching (and even managing) here next season. Walters hasn't distinguished himself - if the measuring stick is Marcel Desjardins - who's now dwarfing Kyle Walters as a CFL GM.

One combination to keep in mind for 2017 (gawd I hate writing off the season so early) is a combination of Tom Higgins as GM and Noel Thorpe as head coach. On the face of it they look like geniuses compared to Walters and O'Shea but the core scouting staff appears to be failing so how do you repair that, too? Fortunately, when change is initiated Winnipeg fans tend to return to the stadium and buying bomber merchandise again.

Rookie CEO/President

Rookie GM

Rookie Head coach

Rookie Director of Scouting

model has never really been proven.

Edited by Root

If it's any consolation (which it isn't) Willy would not acknowledge that the Stamps relaxed their pressure in the 4th Q which allowed him to put up respectable numbers for the game.

Please note that this interview occurred yesterday, so he did have time to "watch the film".  Delusional or worse?

http://www.bluebombers.com/2016/07/04/week-3-day-1-willy/

5 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

If it's any consolation (which it isn't) Willy would not acknowledge that the Stamps relaxed their pressure in the 4th Q which allowed him to put up respectable numbers for the game.

Please note that this interview occurred yesterday, so he did have time to "watch the film".  Delusional or worse?

http://www.bluebombers.com/2016/07/04/week-3-day-1-willy/

Yes I was supprised at that as well the reported asked his question stating the Corners where playing well off, and Willy didn't give in, even if

Calgary was in their normal defence they clearly has taken their foot off the gas, and after the timeout Willy was sacked and he has an open rec directly in front of him... so like usual put pressure on him and he isn't anywhere near good enough...

55 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

.... even if Calgary was in their normal defence they clearly has taken their foot off the gas, and after the timeout Willy was sacked and he has an open rec directly in front of him... so like usual put pressure on him and he isn't anywhere near good enough...

To be fair, and I've been criticizing Willy's play lately, he did play well at the end of both games. Montreal didn't seem to have backed off too much, but Calgary only rushed 3.

Still, Willy did find his men, with men dropping back, and deliver the ball in tight spaces. And he did it well. 

Fans seem to think "garbage time" is a "pass" for an easy play. It isn't. There are more defenders and less space. And defenders don't really like to give up plays. Willy should get credit for that.

Unfortunately, that's  not his problem area.

His reward is good numbers...we, the fans, get no reward.

35 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

Two games into the season and a cumulative record that sucks and we are still to believe that things are miraculously going to change? Based on what ? Drinking LaPo's kook-aid

That's true. Every 0-2 team in CFL history has gone on to an 0-18 record.

2 hours ago, Root said:

A win every so often will just postpone the inevitable. Mike O'Shea isn't head coach material. He's got a rather strange philosophy about handling a pro team and its leaning to a country club atmosphere. I don't think Richie Hall would take another shot at head coaching either - he's quite happy relegated to the press box and being labelled a 'defensive genius'. (He's not!)

Paul LaPolice would be the natural ascendant to the throne but many have their doubts about Lapolice's ability to handle men and enforce detail. He really sagged after Coach Richard died in his office a few years back. Paul is a very good TV analyst - he might take the team on if O'Shea gets canned but it would be an interim position because Paul is smart enough to ask for a guaranteed standard 3 yr coach's contract.

If O'Shea continues to coach losing football with all the double talk that repulses knowledgeable fans Miller might just let him run out the string - while making some serious considerations about who he wants coaching (and even managing) here next season. Walters hasn't distinguished himself - if the measuring stick is Marcel Desjardins - who's now dwarfing Kyle Walters as a CFL GM.

One combination to keep in mind for 2017 (gawd I hate writing off the season so early) is a combination of Tom Higgins as GM and Noel Thorpe as head coach. On the face of it they look like geniuses compared to Walters and O'Shea but the core scouting staff appears to be failing so how do you repair that, too? Fortunately, when change is initiated Winnipeg fans tend to return to the stadium and buying bomber merchandise again.

Rookie CEO/President

Rookie GM

Rookie Head coach

Rookie Director of Scouting

model has never really been proven.

ehh the ceo/pres doesnt often impact soo much on the field imop. The argos when what his nuts took over with candy gretz et al as owners spending like wild fire worked with a green top end. Of course that was a no cap era. Rookie HC danny maccioca comes to mind. That dude was working as an accountant or some thing like 3.5 years earlier. These guys arent exactly rookies any more either. 

Is danny the mini mac back doing accounting or something?

1 minute ago, DR. CFL said:

I was speaking about his cumulative record over the 3 seasons......and what is the indicator that this will change. 

The apologists say "Its only two games". The realists look back over the past two seasons and see little to no improvement and the same old problems.

13 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

I was speaking about his cumulative record over the 3 seasons......and what is the indicator that this will change. 

i tend to agree with you. In his 3rd season i cant see reason to expect him to make huge strides any more. I really had high hopes for him. I cant say how surprised I am with his lack of fire and how flat his team plays. This roster reminds me a lot of the 2000 bombers. 7-10-1 but the big difference to me is no ritchie. The fire the team played with for him was amazing. We got a lot of penalties, but man they played their hearts out for him. Especially down the stretch. 

9 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

i tend to agree with you. In his 3rd season i cant see reason to expect him to make huge strides any more. I really had high hopes for him. I cant say how surprised I am with his lack of fire and how flat his team plays. This roster reminds me a lot of the 2000 bombers. 7-10-1 but the big difference to me is no ritchie. The fire the team played with for him was amazing. We got a lot of penalties, but man they played their hearts out for him. Especially down the stretch. 

The 2007 team too, even though they lost the cup. The EF in TO is still one of the most physical game's I can remember. TO was a bunch of bullies and the Bombers out slugged them in their own park, it was almost erotic to experience.

I didn't hear O'Shea's comments, but I have to admit they are troublesome.  Most of us here know what we are watching and we know there have been two straight games where the opposition has given up a bunch of garbage yards in the 4th quarter.  For O'Shea to suggest the team played well in the 4th quarter is either blind desperation or he thinks we are all rubes and don't know Calgary had a 29-point lead and rushed only 3 giving Willy and the receivers all day.

I cheered for O'Shea initially but he now reminds me a much nicer Mike Kelly.  Both of them treat the fans as fools sometimes, as if we don't understand what is going on on the field.  Mike - if you don't know it and that seems next to impossible - your team only looked like they were playing well in the 4th quarter.  The opposition basically let you score as long as time ran off the clock.  You do understand that - don't you?