Next Coach

3 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

How does LaPo as HC improve the overall situation with this team?

One could debate that his teams played with more heart and emotion then mos. Over all I wouldnt expect much of a change though. Ducky is probably right though, if its a mid season firing plop takes over. I cant see this team tearing down in the off season though and hiring plop as HC. Just a matter of time before he gets the hat trick.

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

So Wild, Bass and Leggett are all mediocre players now?  Same with the Dline?

Talent is there - Richie Hall's system is crap, Lapo and Willy are not on the same page at all and Osh can't manage a game.

+osh cant get any hard play out of his guys. Rest is true. This isnt an un talented team. Not by any means. We have good young and old players. 

Mid season firing of O'Shea is like saying the season will be done... I don't have the confidence in Lapo to salvage the rest of another losing season if we wait that long...MIGHT have a shot IF we can MOS now.... It's a 'big maybe' but I'm afraid that's all we have with this club at present....a lot of maybe's..

2 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

17to85, what has MOS done to make you think he's a good coach? That he's not part of the issue?

Special teams have been the best facet of the team and he is running them. I never cared for Hall and his soft defended or bellefool or call as OCs but I like O'Shea and think the talent level on this team is not good enough. 

Play the blame game all you want, like who you want. The irony of the situation is the finger pointing will start from Miller and get passed down. The low man on this turd pile will ultimately be MOS. that fans is how the higher archey of sports works .

Offer Huf 750K to be our coach and GM. I've liked some of the things Walters has done, but his butchering of the CFL draft(Waggoner, Richards) and lack of ability to recruit a decent import player means he needs to go as well. This regime has done absolutely nothing to earn a second chance. We've gone 7-25 since our 5-1 start in 2014. What about that means that we have anything close to competent people in the building? Ottawa is already one of the best teams in the league.

I also can't help but wonder if Wade Miller meddles in football OPs more than he lets on...

Edited by Blueandgold

1 hour ago, Stickem said:

Mid season firing of O'Shea is like saying the season will be done... I don't have the confidence in Lapo to salvage the rest of another losing season if we wait that long...MIGHT have a shot IF we can MOS now.... It's a 'big maybe' but I'm afraid that's all we have with this club at present....a lot of maybe's..

As much as it pains me to admit it, the team cannot fire O'Shea without a viable replacement, but the sooner that rotten tooth is pulled, the better. If Miller and Walters have a better choice as head coach, lets euthanize O'Shea ASAP.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Special teams have been the best facet of the team and he is running them. I never cared for Hall and his soft defended or bellefool or call as OCs but I like O'Shea and think the talent level on this team is not good enough. 

Part of being a head coach is assembling a competent staff.  This is his 3rd kick at the can.

If he is fired mid-season Richie Hall should be the interim guy as he is loved by the players and they might step up for him on a short term basis.  But I do mean INTERIM, the next head guy is not currently here.

Edited by JohnnyOnTheSpot

If we go 0-6 or 1-5 as I expected, and predicted, then NOT firing MOS is basically giving up on the season in my view. The season isn't really over until labour day, and if you can get things turned around before then you can at least give yourself a chance.

Let's revisit this hiring. He was a special teams coordinator for just a handful of seasons. He wasn't a seasoned coach who was the head of a small program or school somewhere. He was a player who became a special teams coordinator, and was handed the responsibility of a football team way too early. This is painfully obvious now. He wants to be buddies with his team, not their coach. 

If you fire him before this season totally implodes, perhaps you can get some better results with a different voice and a different message. But staying on track with a total loser at the helm is giving up and throwing the white towel in the ring.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

I'll give you that but a Head Coach has to do more than run a good ST unit. Our D has issues and has for his tenure. So does our offense, like his

tenure. MOS has coached 38 games, we've lost 8 by more than 20, 13 by more than 10. Hard to defend a guy who's team gets blown out in over 21% of his games and loses by a larger margin in 1 out of 3.

1 hour ago, Blueandgold said:

Offer Huf 750K to be our coach and GM. I've liked some of the things Walters has done, but his butchering of the CFL draft(Waggoner, Richards) and lack of ability to recruit a decent import player means he needs to go as well. This regime has done absolutely nothing to earn a second chance. We've gone 7-25 since our 5-1 start in 2014. What about that means that we have anything close to competent people in the building? Ottawa is already one of the best teams in the league.

I also can't help but wonder if Wade Miller meddles in football OPs more than he lets on...

He was quoted as saying he would be involved in the day-to-day running of the on-field product when he was hired in 2013 or in the off-season after that.  So far his hiring of Walters after an "extensive search" appears to be a dud.

19 hours ago, tracker said:

As much as it pains me to admit it, the team cannot fire O'Shea without a viable replacement, but the sooner that rotten tooth is pulled, the better. If Miller and Walters have a better choice as head coach, lets euthanize O'Shea ASAP.

I'm not a huge fan of O'Shea, and I do agree with you, the coaching needs work, but he's not totally to blame.  I agree with 17 as well, we just don't have the personnel.  Walters is good at trades and Cdn talent, but where are all the Americans?  We still don't have a breakout WR.  We're still missing some good Import Olinemen.  And we're still missing a few key guys on defense.  I think Floyd hit the nail on the head.  Walters is good, and he'll be a great GM someday, but he should have been an assistant for a few more years behind someone with more experience.

Edited by Logan007

I'm not a huge fan of O'Shea, and I do agree with you, the coaching needs work, but he's not totally to blame.  I agree with 17 as well, we just don't have the personnel.  Walters is good at trades and Cdn talent, but where are all the Americans?  We still don't have a breakout WR.  We're still missing some good Import Olinemen.  And we're still missing a few key guys on defense.  I think Floyd hit the nail on the head.  Walters is good, and he'll be a great GM someday, but he should have been an assistant for a few more years behind someone with more experience.

Speaking of breakout WRs, whatever happened to Chris Matthews? I remember him going down south and having a good season with the Seahawks... is he still playing? Anyone know?

As for coaching - I don't feel we should fire O'shea - by no means do I think he's good. Just long-term I think it'd be better to just let him run out the remainder of his contract and let him walk. I don't think a mid-season coaching change (be it week 3 or later) would result in us managing to make the playoffs, at least not with the current group.

3 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

Speaking of breakout WRs, whatever happened to Chris Matthews? I remember him going down south and having a good season with the Seahawks... is he still playing? Anyone know?

As for coaching - I don't feel we should fire O'shea - by no means do I think he's good. Just long-term I think it'd be better to just let him run out the remainder of his contract and let him walk. I don't think a mid-season coaching change (be it week 3 or later) would result in us managing to make the playoffs, at least not with the current group.

The problem is that if we keep the same head coach and go 2 and 16 or 4 and 14 with repeated blowouts, there will be enough fans in the stands by the end of the season that they can all go home in the same cab.

Fair point, tracker. I guess it's kind of a case of "pick your poison" really. That said, if we're going to have another year missing the playoffs, I'd rather miss them at 2-16 or whatever than end up being 5-13 or something. I always hate that point in the season when the Bombers start running out of games but they aren't mathematically eliminated from playoff contention. Always makes me think of that part in Dumb and Dumber ... "so you're sayin' there's a chance!"

On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 2:52 PM, Blueandgold said:

Huff is 66 or 67 - don't think he'd want to embarrass himself with some of the weak assistants he'd be burdened with in Wpg - plus an average pocket-passer with limited escapability (Willy) and those two munchkin WRs. Huff is nearing the end of his storied coaching/mgmt. career. This would be a step down in my opinion.

Also don't know if he could coach up under-performing guys like Bryant, Waggoner, Neufeld, Goosen, Green, Posey, Johnson, etc.

Miller knows exactly how much time he has to repair the damage. If crowds continue to dwindle, merchandise sales slack off and corporations aren't as eager to get involved with a loser he'll run out of cash within 2 or 3 years - and then face a dreaded meeting with the new premier Brian Pallister. Pallister might not want to continue writing welfare cheques to the bombers, tacking them onto the provincial deficit.

25 minutes ago, Fraser said:

I was done with O'shea when someone remarked in the media that if practices has scores, a Chris Jones practice would beat ours by 4 scores or something to that effect. Call it a players coach but seems more like a country club.

Not a good thing to hear - if true!