Around The NHL 2016/2017

55 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

So if a great hockey player beat your daughter or mother or sister for years you'd still Honor his on ice achievements?  

Its a relevant opinion but you defeat your point by insulting the opposing but equally relevant opinion.  

It's only relevant because it fits your social agenda here. You live for **** like this.

If personal is separate from professional, Hull deserves a freaking statue.

If it isn't or shouldn't be, Hull shouldn't be honored in any way, shape or form.

Is it only players or will people like Fergie and Haskin etc... be eligible to be inducted as well?

Regardless of what Bobby Hull did or didn't do b4 90 percent of today's fan base was around... for his on ice contributions he deserves to be recognized. I'm not old enough but even 20 years ago when I was a wee little one the world wasn't as PC as it is today. 

Is Bobby Hull a bad guy? Perhaps he was but perhaps getting older has changed the guy. I mean lots of athletes in their younger days were huge douches off the ice. Keith Tkachuk comes to mind. But with age he's chilled. 

I guess... what if the jets decided to honor Thomas Steen? How would people feel about that cuz he's been quite douchey after his career was over. But as a player like hull was one of the best to wear a jets jersey. 

He was charged with beating up a woman. 

What some or one guy is missing in this whole hull debate... it's the Winnipeg Jets HOCKEY hall of fame.  Bottom line.  Without Bobby Hull Winnipeg probably doesn't have a pro hockey team in the first place. It's the jets hockey hall of fame... it's not retiring his number or naming the arena after him. It's what he did for Hockey in Winnipeg and what he did.... it put Winnipeg on the map. 

It's not the great human being hall of fame. It's the jets hockey hall of fame. Didn't he sign his million dollar contract at portage and main? The guy did a ton for Hockey in Winnipeg. Craig McTavish from the oilers killed a guy drunk driving in the 80s. That's worse than what hull did and he's honored by the oilers 

Edited by Goalie

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

100% agree. It's great that kids are filled with all of this righteous indignation as they are turned into brain-washed social justice warriors by our backward educational system,  but not EVERYTHING has to be viewed through the prism of the new world order of political correctness.

Sometimes little young darlings, you should just shut your angry little cake holes,  because despite what your parents told you, no one cares about your opinion. 

He beat his wives (not just one) on many occasions and was a trigger pull away from committing murder (or attempted, he could have missed).  That is way beyond PC.  If he wasn't a great pro athlete he would have been tossed in jail long ago or at least had his day in court.  I get the point of separating the on ice stuff from the off ice stuff and Hull's career was amazing and was probably a big reason the NHL is here today.  But I'm not going to forget what he's done off the ice.  If that makes me a little darling, so be it.  Put him in the Jets Hall of Fame, for his play he deserves it and he was never actually tried and convicted of a crime.  Doesn't change the fact that as a human he's a Grade A POS. 

I guess I can hope he "was" a grade A pos, maybe he got counselling or found god or AA or whatever and made amends.  It would be nice if the person could be as good as his game was. 

11 minutes ago, Brandon Blue&Gold said:

Here's a question related to this topic.  Are there any examples of a hall of fame worthy player from any sports league whose off ice/field/court/etc actions have kept them out of their respective HOF?  I don't count Pete Rose since his actions were done while he was active in MLB (as a manager).

OJ

1 hour ago, Brandon Blue&Gold said:

Here's a question related to this topic.  Are there any examples of a hall of fame worthy player from any sports league whose off ice/field/court/etc actions have kept them out of their respective HOF?  I don't count Pete Rose since his actions were done while he was active in MLB (as a manager).

Not a player, but Alan Eagleson was removed from the HHOF after his embezzlement, fraud, etc. charges.

1 hour ago, Brandon Blue&Gold said:

Look up Ty Cobb. He was a huge *******. The guy was a racist, had a bad temper & treated people badly. He was hated but he was voted into the Baseball HOF in Canton, Ohio. He's IN the HOF. The Pete Rose lifetime banning is a joke as the NHL is expanding to Las Vegas & the Oakland Raiders want to relocate there from Oakland.

As far as players actions keeping them out... Tyrell Owens. Was a selfish player, acted like a diva wherever he went & had disputes with teammates & coaches. He disrespected the game & may have to wait a few years to get in.

2 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

100% agree. It's great that kids are filled with all of this righteous indignation as they are turned into brain-washed social justice warriors by our backward educational system,  but not EVERYTHING has to be viewed through the prism of the new world order of political correctness.

Sometimes little young darlings, you should just shut your angry little cake holes,  because despite what your parents told you, no one cares about your opinion. 

Lol. Yes, it's clearly the younger generations that are angry...

3 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

Look up Ty Cobb. He was a huge *******. The guy was a racist, had a bad temper & treated people badly. He was hated but he was voted into the Baseball HOF in Canton, Ohio. He's IN the HOF. The Pete Rose lifetime banning is a joke as the NHL is expanding to Las Vegas & the Oakland Raiders want to relocate there from Oakland.

As far as players actions keeping them out... Tyrell Owens. Was a selfish player, acted like a diva wherever he went & had disputes with teammates & coaches. He disrespected the game & may have to wait a few years to get in.

I'm well aware of Ty Cobb.  And to your point about Terrell Owens, Pete Rose and BB.King's Alan Eagelson example it seems you only get excluded from your sport's HOF if your actions do direct harm to the sport you're involved with.  I have yet to find an example of a worthy player/coach/executive being excluded or kicked out of a HOF for actual off ice/field activities, criminal or otherwise.  The search continues...

And Terrell Owens is recently removed from the game.  It isn't odd that he hasn't been seriously considered for the HOF yet. 

5 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

So you'll defend a racist, wife beating, drunk, but a guy with no issues other than a big mouth should be on the outs? 

As an fyi, I have no issue with Hull being inducted. You don't have to be a great person to be a great player.

6 minutes ago, Brandon Blue&Gold said:

I'm well aware of Ty Cobb.  And to your point about Terrell Owens, Pete Rose and BB.King's Alan Eagelson example it seems you only get excluded from your sport's HOF if your actions do direct harm to the sport you're involved with.  I have yet to find an example of a worthy player/coach/executive being excluded or kicked out of a HOF for actual off ice/field activities, criminal or otherwise.  The search continues...

And Terrell Owens is recently removed from the game.  It isn't odd that he hasn't been seriously considered for the HOF yet. 

Owens is one of the greatest receiver the game ever saw & this year was his first year of eligibility. He isn't well liked by the selection committee but he'll get in eventually. Bottom line, no Bobby Hull no NHL in Winnipeg. He deserves to go in.

Edited by iso_55

8 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

So you'll defend a racist, wife beating, drunk, but a guy with no issues other than a big mouth should be on the outs? 

As an fyi, I have no issue with Hull being inducted. You don't have to be a great person to be a great player.

You wouldn't have a team here to cheer for without Hull so before some of you go off on some righteous indignation tangent about him being a bad person remember that when you watch Patrick Laine take his first shift for the Jets in October. 

37 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Lol. Yes, it's clearly the younger generations that are angry...

Yeah I was expecting an old man yells at cloud comment.  I just think all of those people out there who are confused as to why Trump is so popular could look at this Hull nonsense aa a prime example.  Not that I support Trump.  It's just that if you try hard enough you can discredit anyone from the past applying current social mores.  I had a university professor once tell our class that Abraham Lincoln was a racist.  By today's standards...oK.   But not in 1865.

Yup.  It's pretty much a different Era. You can't compare what a guy did 100 years ago or even 30 years ago to now. 

I'm not saying beating women is ok either. I'm just saying Bobby Hull deserves to be in the Jets Hockey hall of fame because without him... there is no Jets. 

Edited by Goalie

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Yup.  It's pretty much a different Era. You can't compare what a guy did 100 years ago or even 30 years ago to now. 

I'm not saying beating women is ok either. I'm just saying Bobby Hull deserves to be in the Jets Hockey hall of fame because without him... there is no Jets. 

And you can't just point at Hull and say this was some kind of deviant behavior for players of that era. A lot of players in that era were functioning alcoholics, and yet there was no help available, as no one wanted to even admit there was a problem.   If Hull were playing today, he'd be whisked away to treatment (but it would be called an "injury" like certain current Jets we can't name) and he'd be given the help he needed that he couldnt get back in his playing days. It's easy to judge people if you don't look at the entire big picture.

I apologize if I offended some people here but this foolish Hull-bashing got me a little hot.

Edited by kelownabomberfan