Drew Willy

Willy's been in the CFL since 2012 but only has about a seasons worth of starts under his belt. He's a 29 year old  sophomore when it comes to starts and that means he's still pretty green. He started out great in his first season with us, but has been on a downward trajectory ever since and that has to give thinking people pause.

He had one of his worst games against Montreal last night. No touch on his deep throws and taking too much time to make his decisions. He'll hopefully get better, but he's certainly not earning his 400K+ salary right now. (Thanks Mr. Walters for paying top dollar for potential instead of for experience.)

1 hour ago, B-F-F-C said:

A few times Mtl brought 7 - 8 rushers and willy did nothing to adjust the play. He still dropped back and tried to run the play called.  That is a rookie thing. Not a qb that's been in the league as long as he has.  

what pray tell do you think hes going to audible to? There isnt time in the cfl for that, nor the personnel on the field to call an audible to counter blitz.

We ran short outs all game. Only 2 passes made over 16 yards. Thats exactly what you throw against a blitz. Quick outs. You would change your primary read to the hot read and get rid of the ball. He was sacked 5 times with 0 coverage sacks. Hit in the double digits. They didnt establish any run in the first half to prevent mtl from just blitzing. And our ol was giving up pressure down the middle. Re watching the game right now, through the first half hes getting well under 3 seconds of pocket protection before they are on him. Thats only enough for timing routes. His foot work was struggling, didnt set up and throw well, threw off the front foot a couple times etc. Stuff that happens when a qb hears foot steps. 

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

what pray tell do you think hes going to audible to? There isnt time in the cfl for that, nor the personnel on the field to call an audible to counter blitz.

We ran short outs all game. Only 2 passes made over 16 yards. Thats exactly what you throw against a blitz. Quick outs. You would change your primary read to the hot read and get rid of the ball. He was sacked 5 times with 0 coverage sacks. Hit in the double digits. They didnt establish any run in the first half to prevent mtl from just blitzing. And our ol was giving up pressure down the middle. Re watching the game right now, through the first half hes getting well under 3 seconds of pocket protection before they are on him. Thats only enough for timing routes. His foot work was struggling, didnt set up and throw well, threw off the front foot a couple times etc. Stuff that happens when a qb hears foot steps. 

And that's exactly the problem. You can't blame that on the coaching, the schemes, the players. Infact this is nearly impossible to fix. It's a mental thing. 

1 minute ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

And that's exactly the problem. You can't blame that on the coaching, the schemes, the players. Infact this is nearly impossible to fix. It's a mental thing. 

Actually you blame it on the guy getting lit up nearly every game since hes been here. And you see many qbs who play with under performing OL go through that. Khari went through it, ricky ray and ac had it. Ac had it a lot before he landed in mtl with an OL that could block. Any one who want to bench willy or put him on notice needs to go back and watch the time glenn gets vs the time willy gets. Nearly double.

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

Actually you blame it on the guy getting lit up nearly every game since hes been here. And you see many qbs who play with under performing OL go through that. Khari went through it, ricky ray and ac had it. Ac had it a lot before he landed in mtl with an OL that could block. Any one who want to bench willy or put him on notice needs to go back and watch the time glenn gets vs the time willy gets. Nearly double.

Really? You cannot compare the two quarterbacks. Glenn has the quickest release in the game. He's never needed a great line to put up good passing numbers. All I see is a quarterback who is ansy in the pocket and hearing foot steps before they're coming. Not a good sign for a guy in his third full season as a starting quarterback.

2 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Really? You cannot compare the two quarterbacks. Glenn has the quickest release in the game. He's never needed a great line to put up good passing numbers. All I see is a quarterback who is ansy in the pocket and hearing foot steps before they're coming. Not a good sign for a guy in his third full season as a starting quarterback.

Release doesnt change the amount of protection he got. Read the comment. He had multiple 8 second no hold pass protections. Willy averaged under 3 through 3qts. 

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

That's right. Let them build a base before we turf everyone again. Look at the mess we got into with the quick firings from Raman to Kelly  to mack to Walters.

What if the base sucks? So you keep guys around that can't build a winning team for 6 years? That isn't the way pro sports anywhere works.

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

For some reason, there is a lot of resistance on this forum to the notion that our OLine isn't very good. They'd rather blame Willy for holding on to the ball too long. I suspect it's an attempt to protect Walters who, in three seasons, has been unable to improve the OLine much.

Just now, J5V said:

For some reason, there is a lot of resistance on this forum to the notion that our OLine isn't very good. They'd rather blame Willy for holding on to the ball too long. I suspect it's an attempt to protect Walters who, in three seasons, has been unable to improve the OLine much.

Average fan has no idea how long protection has to last in order to complete a pass over 15 yards is most of it. The Ol played a good bit better after we started running the ball half way through the game but still lacked in pass pro. 

Did anyone notice SJ Green take a penalty for coming to his teammate's defense yet when Willy got his head smacked when he was sliding to the turf no one did anything? 

11 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Average fan has no idea how long protection has to last in order to complete a pass over 15 yards is most of it. The Ol played a good bit better after we started running the ball half way through the game but still lacked in pass pro. 

Average fan can see the team getting **** kicked. So the technicalities aren't important.

The pass protection was adequate for most situations. When it was second and longer, in obvious 6 man rush situations, Willy did not handle it well at all, at least once running into the rush instead of throwing the ball away. Glenn, and their O-Line bounced the ball right away and Glenn made several very good plays to avoid sacks. We could/should have had at least 3 sacks, but Glenn found a way to get rid of the ball.

In fact, I'd say Glenn got hit harder than Willy last night.

This no attempt to deflect from the O-Line, who still have a ton of work to do, but rather to direct where the problem should be addressed - at QB.

In obvious blitz situation, that ball should be gone, fast and accurate. Didn't happen. I mean how many of us knew the blitz was coming? EVERYONE knew.

Just now, Mr Dee said:

The pass protection was adequate for most situations. When it was second and longer, in obvious 6 man rush situations, Willy did not handle it well at all, at least once running into the rush instead of throwing the ball away. Glenn, and their O-Line bounced the ball right away and Glenn made several very good plays to avoid sacks. We could/should have had at least 3 sacks, but Glenn found a way to get rid of the ball.

In fact, I'd say Glenn got hit harder than Willy last night.

This no attempt to deflect from the O-Line, who still have a ton of work to do, but rather to direct where the problem should be addressed - at QB.

In obvious blitz situation, that ball should be gone, fast and accurate. Didn't happen. I mean how many of us knew the blitz was coming? EVERYONE knew.

Adequate to lose i guess. Even with 90% of the game being dump passes and short routes he still got hit a ton in a fraction of the time glenn had. There is no obvious 6 man rush situations. The als showed switched between showing and dropping the entire game. Theyd show 7 man fronts and rush 3 plenty. 

Glenn wouldnt have been sacked 3 times unless he would have slipped twice. We had a couple border line late hits that doesnt mean he was close to being sacked. Flushing a qb like glenn doesnt mean you are close to a sack. 

Glenn got hit harder? Maybe the one hit bass laid on him forcing the under throw pick was the hardest hit on any qb. But willy took a TON more hits and total damage.  Have you re watched the game? Or are you just going off your already established opinion?

Like i said no such thing as an obvious blitz situation. They got pressure on willy rushing 3 men only several times. If you dump the ball instantly because the defense shows blitz and they drop? pick 6. 

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

It is if your gonna point fingers and call for peoples jobs. Not to mention the difference between technicalities and being wrong.

That's the nature of pro sports. In football, the qb gets all the glory or all the criticism. Willy's going to catch it no matter if it's right or wrong. I don't put this all on the OL. Willy does hold onto the football too long. LaPo should be changing up the playbook by shortening routes for the guy because he's  gettting killed waiting for receivers to come open. Where are his safety valves? He has Harris to check down to. Receivers have to do a better job helping Willy out. Line has to block. Coaching has to get better to help the guy out.

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Adequate to lose i guess. Even with 90% of the game being dump passes and short routes he still got hit a ton in a fraction of the time glenn had. There is no obvious 6 man rush situations. The als showed switched between showing and dropping the entire game. Theyd show 7 man fronts and rush 3 plenty. 

Glenn wouldnt have been sacked 3 times unless he would have slipped twice. We had a couple border line late hits that doesnt mean he was close to being sacked. Flushing a qb like glenn doesnt mean you are close to a sack. 

Glenn got hit harder? Maybe the one hit bass laid on him forcing the under throw pick was the hardest hit on any qb. But willy took a TON more hits and total damage.  Have you re watched the game? Or are you just going off your already established opinion?

Like i said no such thing as an obvious blitz situation. They got pressure on willy rushing 3 men only several times. If you dump the ball instantly because the defense shows blitz and they drop? pick 6. 

MY obvious established opinions. That's a good one.

Can't argue with that logic, so I'll see ya later..

4 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

That's the nature of pro sports. In football, the qb gets all the glory or all the criticism. Willy's going to catch it no matter if it's right or wrong. I don't put this all on the OL. Willy does hold onto the football too long. LaPo should be changing up the playbook by shortening routes for the guy because he's  gettting killed waiting for receivers to come open. Where are his safety valves? He has Harris to check down to. Receivers have to do a better job helping Willy out. Line has to block. Coaching has to get better to help the guy out.

The nature of it? When the qb is playing like t martin sure. Cant put this all on willy. If you want to talk about just accepting the nature of sports, whats the nature of winnipeg football never winning? should we accept that too? Or strive for better hmmm

Say what?! before the 4th our longest completion was 14 yards. And we still couldnt churn out first downs with a high completion percentage. We ran the shortest patterns possible for the most part. Several times guys were covered, several times the pressure was instant. Sacks in less then 3 seconds.

Willy didnt hold the ball too long last night, he never had a chance to hold it too long. Wrs played really well aside from the drop in the end zone. Every wr caught a pass save for JFG, none looked bad. There was some really good down field blocking from the wrs too. 

first we need to establish the run early and often. Prevent the D from pinning back its ears and coming after willy. second we need to use that strong run game to play action. We hardly did pa passes but when we did they worked very well. third we need to do a better job of play calling. reverses and hb draws up the gut into a 7/8 man front on 2nd and short isnt a good way to convert. fourth willy has to be comfortable in the pocket. Set his feet and throw. Know when to step up and when to scramble. fifth the OL needs to play and communicate better. There was alot of trouble picking up blitzers especially down the middle. But thats not a huge surprise with such a green starting centre. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

MY obvious established opinions. That's a good one.

Can't argue with that logic, so I'll see ya later..

I was highly critical of willy in the chat and posts last night and have re watched the game. You clearly havent and missed much while watching. There is a lot of blame to be spread for the performance last night. Not nearly as much goes on willy as early play call, OL blitz pick up and protection. 

Most will paint last night's offense with the same brush as last year and the year previous, but quite honestly our OL and our play calling were fine. I was impressed with Lapo and I think Willy got adequate protection. 

He played terrible. He flat out didn't execute the plays that were there to be made and if that's our trouble right now, that's a lot better than a broken offense with the inability to protect our QB. 

There was a play in the second quarter where Willy had Smith on a seam route and simply overthrew him. If that ball is on the money it's a 75 yard touchdown. He missed a wide open Adams twice as well. 

I'm willing to let that one be chalked up TJ a bad game. But no doubt he needs to get better. He worked through it as the game went on and was a lot better in the second half but we need a better effort from him all game.

Lets see how next week goes.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

Most will paint last night's offense with the same brush as last year and the year previous, but quite honestly our OL and our play calling were fine. I was impressed with Lapo and I think Willy got adequate protection. 

He played terrible. He flat out didn't execute the plays that were there to be made and if that's our trouble right now, that's a lot better than a broken offense with the inability to protect our QB. 

There was a play in the second quarter where Willy had Smith on a seam route and simply overthrew him. If that ball is on the money it's a 75 yard touchdown. He missed a wide open Adams twice as well. 

I'm willing to let that one be chalked up TJ a bad game. But no doubt he needs to get better. He worked through it as the game went on and was a lot better in the second half but we need a better effort from him all game.

Lets see how next week goes.

you should watch the time glenn had vs the time willy had. and the strength of his pocket. Our play calling was fine? how many touches did harris have in the first half? Willy had 2 poor over throws. He also had a drop in the endzone to go with another that would have been a first down. he was sacked in less then 2 seconds twice and was able to get a throw away another time while being contacted in under 2 seconds. Thats not good protection. When pressure comes fast up the middle there isnt alot a qb can do. 

He didnt play well, harris and a couple wrs are some of the few who did on off.

1 minute ago, iso_55 said:

I'm with Mike on this one. Sure Willy had some sacks but for the most part he had time to get rid of the football. The OL has to play better but it wasn't the disaster WBB Fan is making it out to be. Drew Willy has to play better.

Its not a disaster. Its workable problems. Will we fix them? who knows. I think judging by the adjustments plop made at the half he will be able to rectify some of the poor calls if he hadnt allready in the last quarter and a half. I think we have the right OL coach to get The problems picking up blitz, stunts, and twists better. Those will all help willy. If we have some one to help settle his feet down, get him to look off wrs, and not get soo zoned in on short/medium/long itll be a good year.

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

How many coordinators? How many qbs? How many receivers? Still a ton of changes. I'm OK giving Walters and O'Shea 5 or6 years just for the sake of stability. Been too much impatience the last two decades we need stability even if it's  not the best results

name a franchise in the history of the CFL that has kept both their GM and head coach after 3 consecutive seasons out of the playoffs.  That is, of course, assuming the team finishes below .500 and out of the playoffs this year.