Doug Brown Explains

OL is still a concern until proven otherwise.

This is it in a nutshell. We, as fans, have to see the improvement, because we're still being told there is no concern at all in their O-line. MOS just reiterated this very comment in a recent radio interview.  They like their Canadian talent and the imports that they've brought in. He mentioned Manase Foketi as someone they've had their eyes on since 2014, Jace Daniels as being healthy and Jemarcus Hardrick as a good pickup.

Fine. But now we have to see it..

14 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

How can the OL not be a concern? Posters are talking about the possibility of 3 imports and it still seems like the nip is thin on experience. This raises concerns.

3 imports wouldn't be the end of the world.  I'm more concerned about having a capable line than loading it up with Canadians.  There is enough roster flexibility to start a Canadian as a second receiver, linebacker, or defensive back if we want to put a third import on the OL.

13 hours ago, Zontar said:

If Bombers are still flying high by LD Brown will be writing how difficult it is to deal with high expectations and pressure to win all the time. A winning record also leads to being over-rated and undeserved hype.

This is so very true.

13 hours ago, Atomic said:

3 imports wouldn't be the end of the world.  I'm more concerned about having a capable line than loading it up with Canadians.  There is enough roster flexibility to start a Canadian as a second receiver, linebacker, or defensive back if we want to put a third import on the OL.

exactly.  having to go with 3 imps is actually becoming much more common place now that D-lines are so ferocious.  I'm not really bothered by it either as long as we have capable canadians on the D-line (which i think we do) and in other spots..

1 hour ago, SPuDS said:

exactly.  having to go with 3 imps is actually becoming much more common place now that D-lines are so ferocious.  I'm not really bothered by it either as long as we have capable canadians on the D-line (which i think we do) and in other spots..

I still don't understand how they think they can start 3 Natls. on the O-line.  As soon as one of them goes down (hello Patty), they have to go shopping for a replacement as a backup even if they flip over to 3 imports.   God forbid they lose 2 Natl. O-linemen to injury.   Unless they can pick up a cast off from other teams TC's that barrel is empty. 

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I still don't understand how they think they can start 3 Natls. on the O-line.  As soon as one of them goes down (hello Patty), they have to go shopping for a replacement as a backup even if they flip over to 3 imports.   God forbid they lose 2 Natl. O-linemen to injury.   Unless they can pick up a cast off from other teams TC's that barrel is empty. 

im pretty confident its one of those pipe dreams that every team wishes for 3+ canadian o-linemen.  we are just not likely to go that route with the depth we have imo.  like you said, we are cutting it to the bone if we attempt that and then will be scrambling if (when) the injury bug hits.

On 4/5/2016 at 10:46 AM, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

If you give most defences enough of the same looks as to how and where your quarterback will operate in predictable scenarios, regardless of whom you have on your line, they will find a way to get to him.

Spoken like a true dlineman,unbiased of course. 

I feel like we need to get out of the mentality that a slow start would be the end of the world for this team.  With the schedule we have and the changes we've made it seems inevitable.

To me, 9-9 or 10-8 would be a good season.  And if you think about the current CFL power rankings a 9-9 team is likely to lose a lot of the games we have bunched up before Labour Day and win a lot of the ones that come after. 

20 hours ago, Zontar said:

If Bombers are still flying high by LD Brown will be writing how difficult it is to deal with high expectations and pressure to win all the time. A winning record also leads to being over-rated and undeserved hype.

I know I'm a little slow but ... Huh? 

Edited by J5V

3 minutes ago, White Out said:

The cheerleaders on this forum cant possibly understand how others are skeptical of the worst run franchise in the CFL by a country mile. Imagine that.

It's funny, because the comment he quoted wasn't even made by a Bomber fan. :lol: Nice try, though.

2 minutes ago, White Out said:

shall I quote the nearly dozen posts from Bomber fans?

Regardless, what is your point.

I don't think anyone is questioning what he said, I think most of the commentary has been about how the way he goes about expressing it was so very "Doug Brown-ish"

On 4/5/2016 at 0:04 PM, Jpan85 said:

Wonder if has Brown has any more negative takes left. Still a few columns before the season starts.

On 4/5/2016 at 0:11 PM, The Unknown Poster said:

Doug Brown is the smartest guy in the room.  Just ask him,

On 4/5/2016 at 0:20 PM, Mike said:

So tired of Doug Brown giving us his ridiculously negative take on everything.

Even when he likes something, he has to go out of his way to say 'but I don't like it THAT much'

On 4/5/2016 at 0:47 PM, Mr Dee said:

Oh, oh, media bashing.

Awaiting words from our resident media-defender anytime now...

On 4/5/2016 at 1:19 PM, Noeller said:

It's such a hipster take on things. I love DB97 as much as the next guy, but his "cool guy" negativity is beyond tiresome now...

My point, Mike, is that people are going off the rails on DB because he's "negative" and "bashing" the team. 

God forbid someone in the Winnipeg media isn't a cheerleader for our sports teams /sarcasm

I think it's great that someone is challenging the Bombers, would be nice to see someone in Winnipeg grow a pair and question the Jets more and Cheveldayoff and his snake oil.

Just now, White Out said:

My point, Mike, is that people are going off the rails on DB because he's "negative" and "bashing" the team. 

God forbid someone in the Winnipeg media isn't a cheerleader for our sports teams /sarcasm

I think it's great that someone is challenging the Bombers, would be nice to see someone in Winnipeg grow a pair and question the Jets more and Cheveldayoff and his snake oil.

I got your point. Nobody even accused Brown of bashing the team, it's just his incredibly negative outlook on everything. Is it prevalent in this specific article compared to some of the other ones he has written? No. But I just really can't stand his writing style. Hence my comments.

Then again, it's no wonder you're supportive of DB97 - you're cut much from the same "everything is awful" cloth, based on what I've seen from your commentary.

I have no problem with media being "honest" even if its negative.  Blake Wheeler once stopped speaking to Gary Lawless over something he wrote (I dont know if the cone of silence is still in place).  And Gary is often negative.

Doug Brown just rubs me the wrong way.  I havent listened to him for a while because when I did I could barely last ten minutes.  Just seems like a very egotistical guy.  There is a difference between presenting topics for relevant discussion and presenting an aura of "If everyone would listen to me, they'd be so much more successful".

But there are media (and people in life) who realise that they get more attention for negative than positive.  And Doug seems to be one of those guys that craves the attention.

Just now, Mike said:

I got your point. Nobody even accused Brown of bashing the team, it's just his incredibly negative outlook on everything. Is it prevalent in this specific article compared to some of the other ones he has written? No. But I just really can't stand his writing style. Hence my comments.

Then again, it's no wonder you're supportive of DB97 - you're cut much from the same "everything is awful" cloth, based on what I've seen from your commentary.

I actually laughed a little out loud while reading this. We're an awful organization right now. Just awful. Longest Cup drought in the CFL spanning a quarter century. You can say I'm being negative but I'm just a mirror for the reality we live in as Bomber fans. I'm a realist.  

56 minutes ago, White Out said:

lol - uh have you been watching this franchise for the past decade? Media not being a cheerleader is refreshing for you????? Who the **** is the bombers cheerleader in the media, besides the guy they pay?

I guess it hasn’t been made clear enough that it’s not his negativity that gets under the skin of some people. It’s how he presents it. Even when he’s on the radio and talking about the good aspects of this team, or defending them. I honestly can’t listen to guy for more than a minute (he never talks for less than a minute if given the chance) cause he just talks and talks and talks about nothing at all. Or just repeats himself and his point in different ways. He’s comes off as someone who just likes to hear himself speak. Which I personally find very annoying. I also work with a guy like this, and he extends meetings for no damn reason all the time! It’s the worst!

2 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

lol - uh have you been watching this franchise for the past decade? Media not being a cheerleader is refreshing for you????? Who the **** is the bombers cheerleader in the media, besides the guy they pay?

Quoting because it deserves to be said one more time. Really, who is pumping the Bomber's tires other than Darren Cameron and devoted fans cheerleaders like us?

I miss Ed Tait. Someone who could write without having to take a negative angle at every turn.

1 hour ago, White Out said:

I actually laughed a little out loud while reading this. We're an awful organization right now. Just awful. Longest Cup drought in the CFL spanning a quarter century. You can say I'm being negative but I'm just a mirror for the reality we live in as Bomber fans. I'm a realist.  

Maybe, but your consistent sentiments like above really come across as, 'Whose my favorite Team? 'My favorite team is a team that wins all the time'.

Yes, we all are frustrated, impatient, provide critique/opinions  and want our team to win, but we also balance that with being ardent supporter that will defend this team anywhere, anytime. The Bombers could go 0 and 18 and I would still wear our colors proud and loud.