Random News Items

Rich

25 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

I don't understand what you're saying. Do you think they're giving tickets for people going over 30 outside of the school zones?

I think he is saying that the schools recognize that for safety, they need school patrols at intersections that fall outside the school zone area.  So if it was safety, the school zones would be larger.  But its not about safety, its about maximizing tickets. 

I made the same point.  That 300 kids dont walk one block and disappear.  The city says "hey you can drive 50KM/H a block away" where the same kids are still walking home and crossing streets.  So its not about safety.  And the argument is, well we cant enforce everywhere.  Exactly.  So enforce where needed, not a blanket zone where you get maximum revenue.

If the city believes the amount of kids dissipates enough a block or two away that safety is not an issue, then why do they still do enforcement at 5:20PM in deserted school zones?  Because they are relying on people instinctively driving the general city limit (50) in an area where it is clearly safe to do so.  Look, I slow down in my area school zones as a reflex now to avoid tickets.  But if I drive in an unfamiliar area, I dont always see the school zone sign.  Thats what they rely on.  If I see kids, I slow down, regardless of whether its 3:00 or 7:00 because its safe.  But they dont want that.  They want to catch you.

21 hours ago, Brandon said:

Mike you must live close by to me then... 

If you want a silly school zone the little stretch on Panet/Molson near Munroe is ridiculous. I've never seen a kid cross on that Street. 

Are you the guy who threatened people with an axe on my street the other day?

Please suggest jokes that use this information

"This week, an emergency room in the Pacific Northwest was briefly quarantined after five people—including two police officers and a hospital worker—experienced mysterious hallucinations from an unidentified illness believed to be spread by touch."

"http://gizmodo.com/hospital-ward-gripped-by-mysterious-hallucinations-quar-1787866693?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_facebook&utm_source=io9_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

12 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Lukes is a nut about this.  But if I recall she wants speed reduced to 30 all the time in all residential streets.  If she had her way, cars would be banned in favour of bikes on every road.

This is another great example of why school zone enforcement is not about safety, its about money.  They dont need to "change" the law to avoid enforcement on holidays, just dont collect.  Dont do the enforcement when you know the school zone isnt actually active.  That's the spirit of the law, to protect children.  Its not being enforced that way.  Period.  Money money money.  Thats all it is.

Visa Canada has taken its bitter fee dispute with Walmart Canada to the next level, by offering to reward its Manitoba cardholders if they buy their groceries from someone other than Walmart.

The credit card giant has launched an advertising campagin that offers a $10 credit to cardholders who spend $50 or more at grocery stores in Manitoba. To qualify, all they have to do is enrol their credit card number before Nov. 30 at visa.ca/Manitoba, and make their qualifying purchase within 15 days of enrolling.

STOP THE PRESSES!  

German court rules beer cannot be advertised as 'wholesome'

A German court has ruled that a brewery cannot use the word "wholesome" to advertise beer. It found the term, used on three brews, violated EU laws on health claims

http://www.dw.com/en/german-court-rules-beer-cannot-be-advertised-as-wholesome/a-36249952

Stand up sheeple!

Edited by Mark F