Free Agency 2016...

Mr Dee

We didn't re-sign our guys because they suck and there was a wealth of players out there that could plug gaping holes in our lineup. Hopefully, we can plug more holes with a good draft.  

What too many outsiders have failed to notice is that Winnipeg has been trying to build largely without FA and have sucked hard because of it. Sometimes you just don't have the liberty of playing the long game hoping prospects will pan out. If Walters didn't do what he did today he would likely have paid the price of unemployment halfway through the 2016 season. The signings today go a long way to turning the Bombers fortunes around.

Walters has finally made moves to really improving this team. I don't expect any Grey Cup this year but at least we have a chance of not sucking. More work to be done but I am finally getting some optimism back.

I don't think we are as close to the cap as some think we are. And if we are, Well, i can think of several players right now who will probably not be Bombers soon.

Turner, who is no doubt making a pretty penny or 2 will probably be traded or released. Bucknor is probably another guy that could be sent packing. I don't think a guy like Kohlert is in any danger, I think a guy like Peach could be sent packing, between those guys and the guys we let go already plus the cap went up 100,000 dollars, not much but enough to make a bit of a difference, don't think cap issues are there really. 

Picard,Moore = 350,000 plus... closer to probably 400,000. with the additional 100,000 cap space, Lets just call it 500,000. Yeah they signed Nichols but how much of that deal counted towards the 2015 cap, how much of Bryants extension or Goossens extension counted towards the 2015 cap. 

With moving on from guys like Pontbriand,Newman,Lirim,Washington, etc... there are some cap savings there too, yeah it might not be hundreds of thousands of dollars but a little birdy on twitter told me that had about 1.1 million to play with. I bet they didn't even spend that much today when it's all said and done.  They spent some cash today but... i'll bet they have plenty of cash left over also. 

Edited by Goalie

1 minute ago, bustamente said:

Huff sitting up in his perch throwing daggers at us is hilarious , our team has a long way to go but it may have gotten a little closer today.

The question is, does he have enough daggers to toss at Austin and Desjardins? Don't they have like 40+ of their own players to re-sign? 

The landscape of the CFL is evolving and Walters seems positioned to work within in this new environment. The Bombers, however, have to correct their wayward scouting system to complete the picture.

Isn't improvement the name of the game? And aren't we trying to do just that?

5 minutes ago, J5V said:

I hope it's Bucknor.

I'd lean more towards Turner, Bucknor,Peach and others over Kohlert. Lapo likes Kohlert. 

Why would we cut Kohlert? He's a pretty good player actually, plus he's Canadian. Makes no sense to cut him for $$$ purposes when there are a bunch of Internationals who could potentially be replaced by cheaper guys. 

Edited by Goalie

2 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I'd lean more towards Turner, Bucknor,Peach and others over Kohlert. Lapo likes Kohlert. 

Why would we cut Kohlert? He's a pretty good player actually, plus he's Canadian. Makes no sense to cut him for $$$ purposes when there are a bunch of Internationals who could potentially be replaced by cheaper guys. 

I agree.

30 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I suspect Bryant Turner gets cut since we signed Shologan and to save $.

We can go Westerman/Kolhert/Harris/Shologan/3 NI OL. There is no need to start Hurl. Somebody please tell MOS.

I don't think Winnipeg has the depth at DL to cut Bryant. That may change but I would bet they enter TC with Turner.