Around The League Off Season Discussion

Noeller

8 hours ago, Ripper said:

Jones will burn up much like Chamblin did.  I do, however feel Jones is a far better football person. Definitely in honeymoon phase here. For me personally, I think we have made enough moves. No more, lets get on the field and see what we got.

Your passing attack even if DD stays healthy will struggle. Losing Dressler & Smith is going to really hurt. Especially if Bagg can't stay healthy or the replacements under perform.

36 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

I can see why he is holding out first overall pick usually gets double that.

That looks to me like, quite simply, an incredibly dumb offer.

If St John holds out I wonder if we could trade for his rights.

Edited by Fred C Dobbs
typo

6 minutes ago, Fred C Dobbs said:

That looks to me lie, quite simply, an incredibly dumb offer.

If St John holds out I wonder if we could trade for his rights.

Remember I said that at least some CFL teams treat Canadians like crap just taking them for granted well looky here. If that tweet is true then hell yeah, he should hold out. The CFL minimum salary for the first pick in the CFL Draft?? Some of you guys were cutting down his agent Jonathan Hardaway without knowing the facts. I think the offer is insulting.

Edited by iso_55

40 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

I can see why he is holding out first overall pick usually gets double that.

Silly low-ball offer for a guy you want to keep happy and around for a long time. Is Jones trying to match Hardaway for mental toughness? Or mental stubbornness?

I don't mind this tactic by Chris Jones.  They don't need St. John in the lineup right away, they have enough Canadian OL to easily start 3 with depth behind them.

Offering the league minimum is a **** move (and I'm not sure we're hearing the full story there) but I can understand the Riders holding out for a bargain. 

24 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I don't mind this tactic by Chris Jones.  They don't need St. John in the lineup right away, they have enough Canadian OL to easily start 3 with depth behind them.

Offering the league minimum is a **** move (and I'm not sure we're hearing the full story there) but I can understand the Riders holding out for a bargain. 

In a league where after 3 years a guy can leave why sour the relationship early. No other league would a guy drafted first overall get a minimum offer.

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

Do they really have depth? Andrew Jones sure but the other guys, not so much.

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

That's rich.  Let's take the #1 overall and then tick him off so badly that IF he signs a contract, there isn't likely going to be a second.  And on top of that let's make sure everyone else in the league sees just how we treat players.  Yes, if the reports are true, that's looking to be some top-notch negotiating going on in Riderville.  Can't see anything that could possibly go wrong with this tactic!

2 hours ago, iso_55 said:

You draft a guy first overall then pay him what your 8th pick would get if he made the team? Like WTF?? Ripper, with management decisions like that you wonder what they offered Dressler & Smith?

That has crossed my mind today as well. BUT, the article says BELIEVED to be offered that amount. We don't know for sure. It is a red flag with me for sure.

16 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

That's rich.  Let's take the #1 overall and then tick him off so badly that IF he signs a contract, there isn't likely going to be a second.  And on top of that let's make sure everyone else in the league sees just how we treat players.  Yes, if the reports are true, that's looking to be some top-notch negotiating going on in Riderville.  Can't see anything that could possibly go wrong with this tactic!

"If" he signs a contract?  What else is he going to do, retire?  And do you actually think this would have any impact on negotiations for a new contract 2 or 3 years down the line?  That's a long time to hold a grudge.  If he proves he's a good player then he will get paid as such and money talks, a lot more than hard feelings.

24 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Do they really have depth? Andrew Jones sure but the other guys, not so much.

Plenty of depth. No worries there. Your second overall pick last year got 80k. Rumours I hear is St John looking for similar money.  Bombers were in a different situation last year and needed Canadian starters. Riders are not in that spot and SJ can sit all year for all I care, he is only hurting himself by not playing. BUT some egg on Jones face in that case if that happens for peeing away a high draft pick

5 minutes ago, Atomic said:

"If" he signs a contract?  What else is he going to do, retire?  And do you actually think this would have any impact on negotiations for a new contract 2 or 3 years down the line?  That's a long time to hold a grudge.  If he proves he's a good player then he will get paid as such and money talks, a lot more than hard feelings.

Ok so lets assume we take one of the Laval OT's instead, where would we start him??  In spite of much jokes by you guys, Best and Labatte are as good at Guard as anyone else in the league. Tackle is the ratio buster position on Oline. Why are the Bombers still trying Neufeld?? Because he is Canadian that's why.

10 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

What depth is there besides Jones? Vonk? Picton? McKay? Tell me another joke.

Vonk has been with us 3 years and has played. We are only starting 3 Canadians on oline, 3 backups isn't enough? I'll tell u a joke, who is the Bombers Canadian backup at OT for Neufeld if and when he gets hurt??

20 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Plenty of depth. No worries there. Your second overall pick last year got 80k. Rumours I hear is St John looking for similar money. 

Ottawa also gave the Matteas 80k last year so that would seem to be the going rate.  52k or whatever the actual # is, obviously wasn't close or there would be a deal in place.

They are telling St. John he's only worth the minimum (or close to it), yet they had a pretty high asking price (apparently) when they were shopping the pick around a few weeks ago.  They can't have it both ways.

4 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Ottawa also gave the Matteas 80k last year so that would seem to be the going rate.  52k or whatever the actual # is, obviously wasn't close or there would be a deal in place.

They are telling St. John he's only worth the minimum (or close to it), yet they had a pretty high asking price (apparently) when they were shopping the pick around a few weeks ago.  They can't have it both ways.

I agree to a point. As far as shopping the pick, perspective buyers were not necessarily going to take St John with said pick, so that doesn't necessarily have a bearing on current situation. St John was not the consensus top pick, nothing saying the Bombers would have picked him had they had the pick or the Esks etc..   But the ratio buster aspect definitely makes St John worth more than the minimum.  I'm sure the Riders are willing to pay more, IF those numbers are even true.  Fact is we are not stuck so the supply/ demand argument doesn't apply. Waggoner basically was this years second overall pick, Is he in a position to hold the Bombers hostage? Nope, because the Bombers don't NEED him to be a starter. The only undisputable fact is a pick was pissed away if he never joins the team, the rest doesn't matter

14 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Vonk has been with us 3 years and has played. We are only starting 3 Canadians on oline, 3 backups isn't enough? I'll tell u a joke, who is the Bombers Canadian backup at OT for Neufeld if and when he gets hurt??

We go American and change the ratio elsewhere because we actually do have some Canadian depth.

You can have twenty Canadian OL in camp. It doesn't really matter if none of them are any good.

44 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Yes, "if" he signs a contract.  There's still the NFL and he could maybe get a shot there.  Or, he could hold out for a bit, miss TC and a game or two, then sign a two year contract.  And you better believe he'd walk after that contract expired.  "If he proves he's a good player" has, to a certain degree, already happened because Saskatchewan took him first overall.  That suggests that they value him over everyone else in the draft so to then offer him league minimum is not just low-balling, it's insulting, and don't think for a moment he'll forget that.  Saskatchewan might be able to resign him, but if these rumours are true, the only way they resign him is after he's gone to free agency and they can bid for his services like everyone else.   

And again, don't think that other players aren't watching this and seeing how Jones seems to do business.  This could end up costing Jones a lot more than he might be saving with this stunt.

4 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

We go American and change the ratio elsewhere because we actually do have some Canadian depth.

You can have twenty Canadian OL in camp. It doesn't really matter if none of them are any good.

Actually do is your opinion. You are thin depth wise at OT, RB, and Receiver as far as Canadians go. By thin I mean a huge drop off if any of Neufeld, Harris, or Kolhert go down. You may disagree and that's fine. Not here to change anyone's mind. That's my opinion.