Around The League Off Season Discussion

Noeller

1 hour ago, Dragon37 said:

The board has little affect with what happens on the field. The onus is on management to make the franchise work. The only time a board can affect the day to day is if their is a biased voting block. 

I would expect the members to be from a variety of business back ground as well as one member that has CFL or sport franchise experience and one member that represents civic and provincial governments. If no one knows each other all the better.

Everyone knows or knows of everyone when it comes to the movers and shakers in this city. And what you expect is what the make up of the BoD already is.

I wish that our BOD appointments operated more like other community owned teams. I would like to see the Bombers sell shares to the fanbase and then allow shareholders to cast votes on potential new BOD members. Elections occurring every 2 years for half the board. It would give the fans some say over a BOD and it would be a great fundraising tool for the team.

Shares could be incorporated into season ticket prices or be a separate option when buying season tickets, as well as available at the Bomber store for those that are not season ticket holders.

Edited by gcn11

The last thing I would want is fans voting in board members every year.  Its not a perfect system but if you have people that care about the team and have experience in running various businesses, that *should* be a positive.  I know Asper gets a lot of heat but that guy bleeds blue & gold.  And I think he did learn to temper his "enthusiasm" a bit as the years went on.  And regardless of the Stadium issues, he spearheaded the campaign that resulted in IGF existing.

And has been said, the BOD hires the President.  And there you have it.  If they make a mistake there, sure, thats a problem.  But if the coach is a bad hire or the GM brings in less than stellar players, Im not sure I can get on board with replacing the BOD, especially with a group elected by fans.

Jones is discarding what he believes are overpriced players and has confidence in his abilities and Murphy's abilities to actually go out and find players. Popp, Barker, Murhpy, Tillman and Paul Jones have all demonstrated the ability to find players the key to any team's success.

17 hours ago, BigBlue said:

More of the same .... another CEO or two adding another feather to their hat ... I see no new plan to fix what's ailing us .... just a mutual admiration society ... when will we ever have a leader with a real vision that everyone will get on board with?

"Evans is the CEO for Granny’s Poultry Cooperative while Gamey is the CEO and co-founder of Payworks. She is also the Past President of Southwood Golf and Country Club, the current Chair of the Prairie Theatre Exchange Foundation Trust and the former Chair of the Women’s Enterprise Centre."

Yeah, these are the kind of people we need running our football operations. Evans can probably get us a good deal on some turkey dinners and Gamey can get us some cheap payroll help. :-)

15 hours ago, iso_55 said:

The Board has a huge effect on the performance on the field. They hire the President who then hires the GM who hires the Head Coach. The entire process of winning & losing starts with the Board.

The Board, officially or not, ultimately controls the purse strings especially on things as important as senior football executives ..... and that is where we fall down like ground hog day

12 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

The Board, officially or not, ultimately controls the purse strings especially on things as important as senior football executives ..... and that is where we fall down like ground hog day

Well, it's a public entity.  They can spend money they have through operations, no more than that.  The board doesn't pocket what is left, so I'm not sure what you're suggesting.  If you're comparing the Bombers to a privately owned team like Hamilton or Montreal who will take multi-million losses to win, yes they will look cheap.

41 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Well, it's a public entity.  They can spend money they have through operations, no more than that.  The board doesn't pocket what is left, so I'm not sure what you're suggesting.  If you're comparing the Bombers to a privately owned team like Hamilton or Montreal who will take multi-million losses to win, yes they will look cheap.

Hence the last 25 years ...

21 hours ago, iso_55 said:

The Board has a huge effect on the performance on the field. They hire the President who then hires the GM who hires the Head Coach. The entire process of winning & losing starts with the Board.

They provide direction the CEO run the day to day within the plan. The CEO hires the GM for running the football operations. If the product on the field suck the onus is on the GM. If the overall franchise is failing, and buy this I mean financially and not just on the field, the CEO is on the hook. In the case of the Bombers finances are okay so neither the CEO or BOD is much on the hook for anything. The BOD is very arms length ... Just like a city council is from day to day operations.

20 hours ago, Jacquie said:

Everyone knows or knows of everyone when it comes to the movers and shakers in this city. And what you expect is what the make up of the BoD already is.

You have zero proof of "movers and shakers" knowing everyone and knowing of means ****. I know of many people but knowing of is so very different than knowing someone. I would expect any board member to have people skills though. So when they actually meet and  sit down, they can get business done.

6 hours ago, IC Khari said:

Hence the last 25 years ...

Check Hamilton's record during that time. Or Ottawa's for about the same amount of seasons (not including the time they didn't have a team, of course). We're not alone in our recent ineptitude, but we are the only public team who hasn't won a Grey Cup in the last 3 seasons I guess. :P

3 hours ago, Dragon37 said:

They provide direction the CEO run the day to day within the plan. The CEO hires the GM for running the football operations. If the product on the field suck the onus is on the GM. If the overall franchise is failing, and buy this I mean financially and not just on the field, the CEO is on the hook. In the case of the Bombers finances are okay so neither the CEO or BOD is much on the hook for anything. The BOD is very arms length ... Just like a city council is from day to day operations.

I don't agree. They hire the President. If he fails it's on the Board for hiring him. This arm's length stuff is truly semantics. They may let the President do his job unencumbered after being hired but ultimately a bad hire & failure at that position is solely on them. 

4 hours ago, Dragon37 said:

You have zero proof of "movers and shakers" knowing everyone and knowing of means ****. I know of many people but knowing of is so very different than knowing someone. I would expect any board member to have people skills though. So when they actually meet and  sit down, they can get business done.

I would expect that most, if not all, of the business elite in Winnipeg belong to the Chamber of Commerce and have met each other at their functions as well as at various charitable functions. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if most have memberships at St Charles Country Club and send their kids to the same private schools. Winnipeg is not that big that they don't know each other.

14 hours ago, IC Khari said:

As a Bomberfan I've learned to temper my excitement about these possible signings ...

2lbe6b.jpg

We were never close to a deal with Collaros, Burris or Muamba. Collaros' agent never responded to our offer despite it being basically the same as Hamilton's and our offer to Burris was no where close to Ottawa's. Muamba's grand tour certainly showed we weren't close to signing him either. Collaros wanted to be closer to home and Burris and Muamba went to the highest bidder.

Edited by Jacquie