The Next Step to Excitement: Change the Safety Touch

BigBlue

id like to see offense pass interference be reviewable too if defensive PI is currently,  only fair

as well as questionable hits to a qb - such as nichols getting blatantly face masked last game

No .. just no.  

Reviewing PI as it stands now is one of the most ridiculous rules we've implemented in the game.  It's a cringe worthy lottery ticket.  Let players play and keep the tempo of the game intact.  These superfluous challenges just bog down the game .. it kills flow and grinds things to a halt .. and make referees more dependent on booth review's and coach instigated challenges instead of simply getting the initial call right.

couldnt it be argued that their initial missed call thats being challenged is being brought to attention and if over turned they (the refs) see that they missed something and review it later to become better judges of the infraction later on?  missing a call and letting it slide just means itll continue on

**** happens in sports.  

I can live with the occasional missed call.  That's the human element in any game.  We don't need in game reviews to show referees they've missed something.  This already goes on.  These guys are graded out .. teams submit video to the league .. they are well aware when they've screwed up.   What I can't accept is a coach throwing a flag on a hope and prayer on the off chance that a defensive back may have gotten a hand in a little early, made slight contact before the ball arrived or some other minuscule infraction that may result in a large impact on the game.  That's essentially what we see now .. it's a lottery system for coaches.  Expanding the scope only makes it worse.

I *HATE* PI review with a passion.  Even though we've benefited from it since it's implementation .. I still detest it with every fibre of my being because of how it negatively affects the flow / tempo of the game and how coaches treat it as a lottery ticket. 

I think they should get rid of the rouge altogether personally.  It's like rewarding someone for screwing up.

It's not a point for screwing up. It's a point for getting the ball into or through the endzone. Making the field goal just has a bigger reward is all. 

It's a throwback to our roots as a rugby union.  In this day and age, it's a reward for failure.  Missing a field goal, in the context of North American football, isn't an accomplishment.

I like the TD is worth 7 points idea... 

I hate the PI reviews and think they should just get rid of it all together, I also think there needs to be a maximum amount of time they are allowed to review a call, let's say 90 seconds for arguments sake cuz man some of those reviews take forever and ever.. that one vs Edmonton, Stoudemire fumble there out of bounds, esks player touched it, they reviewed that for like 5 minutes... Ridiculous.. make it 90 seconds max, if you can't decide by then, the ruling on the field stands. 

My take:

Calling reviews should have to be done within 10 seconds of the end of the play. First the coaches and spotters look at it. Then we go to a TV timeout. Then the HC throws the flag. Then it goes to the refs in Toronto. Then they get it right or wrong depending on your view. Finally 10 minutes later, we start play again.

I hate the PI reviews but I accept they are going to be there going forward so offensive PI should be reviewable as well.

I don't like the idea of a 7 point TD with no point after. 

I'd prefer if the 2 point point after try came from 5 yards out.

I'd like the single for missing a FG to only be applied if the ball stays in the end zone to force the returners to run it out or give up the point. If the ball goes through the end zone, then no points awarded, just like hitting an upright.

How about changing the FG's points depending on the range? 2 points for FG inside the 20. 3 for FG between 20 and 45. 4 outside the 45.

Speaking of rugby, what was the point in that bomber player kicking the ball he caught on a kick off or punt return that ended the 1st half on saturday?

It was an attempt to advance the ball and recover it further down field (and potentially catch Ottawa off guard).  Drop kicks can be attempted at any time by any team, anyone behind the kicker (the kicker included) is onside and can recover the kick .. the idea being that you hit an open spot on the field .. recover the ball on the run .. potentially score.

i like the new rule for the convert, kicking from the 32, good call, as for the 2 pt safety, why get rid of it, it is a good rule , if u are going into the wind, this rule will help u

Amen to that .... The NFL is constantly making rule changes to improve their game and so should we (including correcting bad rule changes) .... What I do wish is that we think for ourselves .... for what our Canadain game needs and not just following little boo peep (the NFL) like blind sheep

So because we bring the convert out 32 yards we're following the NFL? Our game is different from the NFL just by rules alone. Bigger & wider field, larger end zones, single point on a missed FG or if a ball can't be returned from the end zone on a punt, one yard off the LOS for defense & unlimited motion. How are we following the NFL? 

If missing a field goal can get you 1 point, what should hitting the upright be worth? I mean, that takes some serious skills...

Uprights aren't in the scoring area, no points.

If I am not mistaken, this is not entirely true. You can hit the upright and if it goes through it still counts.

I think they should get rid of the rouge altogether personally.  It's like rewarding someone for screwing up.

Not at all.  It's a point for kicking the ball in goal.  It's more penalizing the defense/returning team for not bringing the ball out of goal.  Why not scrap field goals because they are rewarding offenses that can't score touchdowns?

meh, i prefer the ol lateral game, school yard/longest yard styles

Laterals are way more dangerous (drop it and it's potentially headed the other direction in the arms of the other team).  Considering that on a kickoff cover the only guy back is likely their kicker as everyone else is running full speed toward you to cover the kick, you have a decent shot of forcing them into a tough situation by quickly kicking it back.  The Argos scored a safety on us when O'Shea was their ST coach back when Serna was our kicker.  Squibbed a kickoff at the end of the half that Kuale scooped up and blasted 60 something yards.  Serna conceded a safety.

Teams should be putting guys onside more often IMO.  Like today in Hamilton, anytime I punt into the wind I'd have 3 guys onside.  Even if you don't recover the ball you're killing the opponents return game because they have to focus on the onside guys.