Canadian Politics

Wanna-B-Fanboy

I assume the GG doesnt want to move out.  And probably it isnt needed.

The PM also has Harrington Lake he can live in.  Im not sure how far that it is.  It's referred to as a summer retreat.  Perhaps Rideau Hall is more secure and/or closer to Ottawa.

Realistically, they should completely gut and renovate 24 Sussex into a more fitting official residence for the PM as well as offices and security options.

'Burtans are just crazy enough to think this is actually a good idea....

I think its soon.  But why isnt it a good idea if naming of other Airports after PM's is okay?

If they can name the airport in Montreal after that massive arsehole Trudeau then Harper should get an airport too.  But yeah, wait 10 years or so. 

Just read another story about how 24 Sussex is a "wreck" and was recommended to undergo major renovations in 2008.

I have to say, at the risk of the liberals here going after me, that I find this hilarious and clearly partisan that so much is being made of it now.  Imagine if Harper had moved out for 18 months and spent $10M + to renovate?  The weariness to do so came because Mulroney spent money on renos and was roasted for it.  Lets not forget Trudeau the elder installed an indoor pool (paid for by donations I believe).

I still maintain the place should be brought up to a standard world leaders should expect and I honestly dont care if it costs double or triple of they said in 2008.  The Harper's referred to it as a heritage building and didnt want to hurt that.  I agree.  So renovate and restore.  It would be pretty cool to host other world leaders and dignitaries in a restored 1800's mansion.

And they should also create a fund for regular updates and should also allow incoming PM's a certain budget for decorations and/or minor renovations to suit their tastes.  I believe this is the norm in the US.

Just like Abe Lincoln's wife in the 1860's and then Jackie Kennedy in the 1960's with the White House (yeah there are a lot of parallels between Lincoln and Kennedy.  The freakiest one is that Kennedy had a secretary named Lincoln).  Spend the money and get it done.  Otherwise the house just becomes an embarrassment, and there is no point in having it.

Just like Abe Lincoln's wife in the 1860's and then Jackie Kennedy in the 1960's with the White House (yeah there are a lot of parallels between Lincoln and Kennedy.  The freakiest one is that Kennedy had a secretary named Lincoln).  Spend the money and get it done.  Otherwise the house just becomes an embarrassment, and there is no point in having it.

I think the house is already an embarrassment from the stories.  Good enough for Harper but not good enough for the prince.  It will be interesting to see how the public reacts.  But hopefully the rhetoric doesnt rear its head (aside from mine ofcourse) and it gets done.  Make it a palace.

Just read another story about how 24 Sussex is a "wreck" and was recommended to undergo major renovations in 2008.

I have to say, at the risk of the liberals here going after me, that I find this hilarious and clearly partisan that so much is being made of it now.  Imagine if Harper had moved out for 18 months and spent $10M + to renovate?  The weariness to do so came because Mulroney spent money on renos and was roasted for it.  Lets not forget Trudeau the elder installed an indoor pool (paid for by donations I believe).

I still maintain the place should be brought up to a standard world leaders should expect and I honestly dont care if it costs double or triple of they said in 2008.  The Harper's referred to it as a heritage building and didnt want to hurt that.  I agree.  So renovate and restore.  It would be pretty cool to host other world leaders and dignitaries in a restored 1800's mansion.

And they should also create a fund for regular updates and should also allow incoming PM's a certain budget for decorations and/or minor renovations to suit their tastes.  I believe this is the norm in the US.

The Conservatives went after Trudeau for his renos too, donations or not.  They said it was " a lavish use of public money".  Mulroney had a hot tub installed, which was paid for by donations so it's not much different.

It's unfortunate that opposition parties (left or right) try to score political points off of this kind of thing though.  God forbid, something happens like an electrical fire burning the place down because the PM was too worried about the backlash.

Thats why it must be independently done, which it really is to a degree but has to be given the go-ahead by government.  Take the powers away and let the National Capital Commission have a budget and make decisions on repairs, renovations etc. 

And as I said, I'd provide a "move in" budget to new government to do some interior design or minor renos.  Thats how the White House ended up getting some things that decades later become part of the historical story of the home, because different President's (and First Ladies) make changes.

They should also make sure the RCMP provide their two-cents on security.  I'd imagine the mansion is not up to a terrorist attack or a major act of war against the nation where the PM might be required to be kept safe and operational at the home.

Thats why it must be independently done, which it really is to a degree but has to be given the go-ahead by government.  Take the powers away and let the National Capital Commission have a budget and make decisions on repairs, renovations etc. 

And as I said, I'd provide a "move in" budget to new government to do some interior design or minor renos.  Thats how the White House ended up getting some things that decades later become part of the historical story of the home, because different President's (and First Ladies) make changes.

They should also make sure the RCMP provide their two-cents on security.  I'd imagine the mansion is not up to a terrorist attack or a major act of war against the nation where the PM might be required to be kept safe and operational at the home.

Some lunatic broke into the PM's residence back in the Chretien days.  Chretien's wife shut the bedroom door and that foiled his whole plan, whatever it was.  The RCMP were immensely embarrassed by the whole situation.

Prior to his retirement, my dad worked in protective services for a federal agency (firefighter by schooling, later security and first response as well) and immediately after 9/11, they got a MASSIVE increase in their annual budget and the perceived importance of their job changed completely. They began training with the RCMP out of D Dvision in Winnipeg and a bunch of other stuff. Short story: the government took security at all federal facilities EXTREMELY seriously post 9/11, so if I had to guess, I'd say the PMs personal detail 24/7 woulda been beefed up...

Prior to his retirement, my dad worked in protective services for a federal agency (firefighter by schooling, later security and first response as well) and immediately after 9/11, they got a MASSIVE increase in their annual budget and the perceived importance of their job changed completely. They began training with the RCMP out of D Dvision in Winnipeg and a bunch of other stuff. Short story: the government took security at all federal facilities EXTREMELY seriously post 9/11, so if I had to guess, I'd say the PMs personal detail 24/7 woulda been beefed up...

Good to see after all that a loony tune can still walk into Parliament and start shooting people.

Good to see after all that a loony tune can still walk into Parliament and start shooting people.

All I know is it's likely Harper's fault...................... :)

I think this is a very good idea.

The Sierra Club Canada wants to turn 24 Sussex green.

"I think that we can turn it into a net zero-energy house and have the best official residence in the whole world, in terms of it being sustainable and a symbol that we are going to do something about climate change."

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-wednesday-edition-1.3292489/sierra-club-canada-wants-to-turn-24-sussex-green-1.3292876

All I know is it's likely Harper's fault...................... :)

:D

I think this is a very good idea.

The Sierra Club Canada wants to turn 24 Sussex green.

"I think that we can turn it into a net zero-energy house and have the best official residence in the whole world, in terms of it being sustainable and a symbol that we are going to do something about climate change."

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-wednesday-edition-1.3292489/sierra-club-canada-wants-to-turn-24-sussex-green-1.3292876

I am all for making the residence more energy efficient, but I have to laugh whenever the eco-loons talk about "net zero-energy" house.  Ok - so how do solar panels and wind turbines get built again?  Using fairy dust?

when i saw the news report that trudeau was moving in across the street, and there was concern he'd be blasted for turning 24 sussex into a taj mahal for him and his family, i wonder what harper ended up doing with the 2008 complaints? did he live there? do any renos? 

I have a good friend working on the parliament hill reno's and this project as well.  He told me that Harper nixed the restoration projects when he moved to 24 Sussex because he didn't want his family living in an ongoing construction zone.  Can't blame him even though I've lived in a constant construction zone for nearly a decade with little damage to family life other then my wife not speaking to me for most of the last five.

I agree with Maureen McTeer who suggested the house be torn down and re-built from scratch with a modern design and building techniques as the $14 mill. saved on the reno's. could still build a pretty nice shack.  24 Sussex is not an iconic building like the White House and most Canadians would be hard pressed to identify it from a photo.  The building's historical significance is fairly insignificant, so what's the loss?