Canadian Politics

Wanna-B-Fanboy

Prior to his retirement, my dad worked in protective services for a federal agency (firefighter by schooling, later security and first response as well) and immediately after 9/11, they got a MASSIVE increase in their annual budget and the perceived importance of their job changed completely. They began training with the RCMP out of D Dvision in Winnipeg and a bunch of other stuff. Short story: the government took security at all federal facilities EXTREMELY seriously post 9/11, so if I had to guess, I'd say the PMs personal detail 24/7 woulda been beefed up...

Good to see after all that a loony tune can still walk into Parliament and start shooting people.

All I know is it's likely Harper's fault...................... :)

It's not Harpers fault, he was hiding in a closet the whole time!

Prior to his retirement, my dad worked in protective services for a federal agency (firefighter by schooling, later security and first response as well) and immediately after 9/11, they got a MASSIVE increase in their annual budget and the perceived importance of their job changed completely. They began training with the RCMP out of D Dvision in Winnipeg and a bunch of other stuff. Short story: the government took security at all federal facilities EXTREMELY seriously post 9/11, so if I had to guess, I'd say the PMs personal detail 24/7 woulda been beefed up...

Good to see after all that a loony tune can still walk into Parliament and start shooting people.

The most important take away from that event for the Anti-Harper crowd was that he was a coward who hid from the violent gunmen bent on killing him. 

It's not Harpers fault, he was hiding in a closet the whole time!

See?

The most important take away from that event for the Anti-Harper crowd was that he was a coward who hid from the violent gunmen bent on killing him. 

I always asked the people that called Harper a coward for hiding in a closet (is this even true?)  - where were Mulcair and Trudeau at the same time?  Given Justin's horrible attendance record, was he even in the building that day?  And why is Harper a coward but Mulcair not if Mulcair was hiding too?  The truth is, all the politicians should have been hiding.  Otherwise, they'd just be in the way and provide targets for the deranged lunatic.  The only people that should have been outside of hiding were people with guns, trained in what to do should a nutbar break in and start shooting.  That's it.  Why people picked on Harper just showed to me how some people were willing to latch on to just about anything to try and denigrate him.

He supposedly was secured in some sort of small room, thus a "closet".  Here's the thing, he's the PM.  If his security detail had been in the room with him, he would have NOT been given a choice as to where he went and how he was secured.  Was **** Cheney a coward when the secret service burst into his office, picked him up off the floor and carried him to the bunker during 9/11?  Its protocol.

Harper even explained that the RCMP goes through several training scenarios with the PM.

If I recall, the MP's in the room, some of them were arming themselves with whatever they could and prepared to defend themselves and the PM.  As they should.  I cant say what Harper would have done if he was an MP and not the PM, but I'd like to think he'd be one of the people preparing to defend the others.  Regardless, his responsibility was to ensure his own survival.

Was Chretien a coward when his wife fended off an intruder and he ran to the phone to call the cops?

Anyone who said anything negative about Harper hiding immediately, is an idiot, period. And this is coming from one of the most anti-Harper people ever. He's your chosen leader, so you do everything to keep him outta harms way.

Exactly.  I'm one of the most anti-Mulcair people ever, but I don't blame him one second if he was cowering in a closet and whimpering in fear while shots were being fired only a few feet away.  Until we've all been in that situation, none of us can judge.

I've been in high-stress situations several times, including shots fired.  And people do act very differently across a wide spectrum.

because of my experience it has become instinctive for me to react and I've done so in situations that I was not involved and/or was not my work.  I remember a Mall security guard being jumped by about 10 guys in a packed food court.  No one moved...except me and the guard! lol

Even of Harper wanted to fight the guy, he should have been physically removed.  I've seen a few Presidents and VP's over the years joke about the one thing they have no say in - when the Secret Service come get you, you're going whether you like it or not.

I think this is a very good idea.

The Sierra Club Canada wants to turn 24 Sussex green.

"I think that we can turn it into a net zero-energy house and have the best official residence in the whole world, in terms of it being sustainable and a symbol that we are going to do something about climate change."

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-wednesday-edition-1.3292489/sierra-club-canada-wants-to-turn-24-sussex-green-1.3292876

I am all for making the residence more energy efficient, but I have to laugh whenever the eco-loons talk about "net zero-energy" house.  Ok - so how do solar panels and wind turbines get built again?  Using fairy dust?

Not sure where fairy dust comes into the equation... 

zero-energy building, also known as a zero net energy (ZNE) building, net-zero energy building (NZEB), or net zero building, is a building with zero net energy consumption, meaning the total amount of energy used by the building on an annual basis is roughly equal to the amount of renewable energy created on the site. These buildings consequently do not increase the amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. They do at times consume non-renewable energy and produce greenhouse gases, but at other times reduce energy consumption and greenhouse gas production elsewhere by the same amount.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-energy_building

I still don't understand why you need to always denigrate those people or ideas that you don't agree with? Seriously... eco-loons? Lefty-wingnuts and so forth. People who are passionate about specific things shouldn't be dismissed and marginalized for their beliefs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-energy_building

I still don't understand why you need to always denigrate those people or ideas that you don't agree with? Seriously... eco-loons? Lefty-wingnuts and so forth. People who are passionate about specific things shouldn't be dismissed and marginalized for their beliefs.

So it's cool to call Harper every name under the sun, but if its an organization that you like then you can't call them names?  Is that what you are saying?  I really don't like the Sierra Club.  Sorry, but I don't.  And peddling "zero-energy" is just a huge lie.  Kind of like saying that Harper cut $36 billion from health care spending.

While we're on the subject of PM security, fear and paranoia...

Annual cost for Harper’s RCMP security detail has doubled to $19.6 million since he became PM in 2006.
Annual operating budget for PM Protection Detail

2005-06: $8.8 million

2006-07: $9.1 million

2007-08: $9.8 million

2008-09: $14.4 million

2009-10: $11.8 million

2010-11: $14.8 million

2011-12: $12.2 million

2012-13: $15.8 million

2013-14: $19.6 million

– Source: RCMP

Full story

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/annual-cost-for-harpers-rcmp-security-detail-has-doubled-to-19-6-million-since-he-became-pm-in-2006

Thats good.  And yet shocking that a nut job was able to shoot up Parliament and get within one door of the PM (two if you count the closet).  And that he was stopped by the Sgt at Arms, not RCMP.  Amazing.

"Nut job", is the keyword, this was not a well planned, organized attack and no one knows what his real intent was, you're  just guessing that he wanted to get Harper.  Unlikely that he knew where Harper was at the time and unlikely that he would ever have been able to survive long enough to find him in a huge building if he didn't have a precise plan.  I think his real aim was to commit suicide and gain publicity in doing so, but then I'm just guessing.  I think it's great that people can't remember this guys name.

Thats good.  And yet shocking that a nut job was able to shoot up Parliament and get within one door of the PM (two if you count the closet).  And that he was stopped by the Sgt at Arms, not RCMP.  Amazing.

"Nut job", is the keyword, this was not a well planned, organized attack and no one knows what his real intent was, you're  just guessing that he wanted to get Harper.  Unlikely that he knew where Harper was at the time and unlikely that he would ever have been able to survive long enough to find him in a huge building if he didn't have a precise plan.  I think his real aim was to commit suicide and gain publicity in doing so, but then I'm just guessing.  I think it's great that people can't remember this guys name.

That's true.  I didnt mean to imply he was after Harper but I think its fair to say he would have been happy to kill some important people and probably wasnt going to be fussy about which ones.  Had he opened that door, I imagine he'd just start shooting, not ask where the PM is.

news 2012:

"The final, official price tag for shipping Prime Minister Stephen Harper's armoured limos to India in 2012 is in and it's even higher than previously thought.

The RCMP said it paid $1,200,260 to the Canadian Forces to transport two armoured Cadillacs and a bulletproof SUV to India in November of last year. That cost was provided to CBC News in documents released under the Access to Information Act."

Took his own armoured limo to india in a hercules. One million bucks.

news 2012:

"The final, official price tag for shipping Prime Minister Stephen Harper's armoured limos to India in 2012 is in and it's even higher than previously thought.

The RCMP said it paid $1,200,260 to the Canadian Forces to transport two armoured Cadillacs and a bulletproof SUV to India in November of last year. That cost was provided to CBC News in documents released under the Access to Information Act."

Should he have rented a prius?  I have no problem with any PM doing this.  Security first.

news 2012:

That sounds ridiculous. There must be other ways to provide security for a visiting dignitary. Or maybe the invitation was B.Y.O.A.V.