Canadian Politics

Wanna-B-Fanboy

anyone see the vehicle the pope drove around in?

itsty bitsy  fiat.

Good enough for the Pope should be good enough for any Canadian PM.

also, where the Pope was (New York/ Washington d.c.), is far more dangerous than where the (former) PM went.

could've saved a bundle!

news 2012:

"The final, official price tag for shipping Prime Minister Stephen Harper's armoured limos to India in 2012 is in and it's even higher than previously thought.

The RCMP said it paid $1,200,260 to the Canadian Forces to transport two armoured Cadillacs and a bulletproof SUV to India in November of last year. That cost was provided to CBC News in documents released under the Access to Information Act."

Took his own armoured limo to india in a hercules. One million bucks.

That sounds ridiculous. There must be other ways to provide security for a visiting dignitary. Or maybe the invitation was B.Y.O.A.V.

Of course, you are giving this opinion purely as an educated expert on security in foreign locales and not due to any political bias.

I don't see anything in my post that resembles political bias..but, I see it in yours. What is it? You see a Mr Dee post and you go into question mode? That's weird.

I just asked the question - are you an expert on foreign security?  If not, how the hell would you know if the cost is ridiculous or not?

I don't see anything in my post that resembles political bias..but, I see it in yours. What is it? You see a Mr Dee post and you go into question mode? That's weird.

I just asked the question - are you an expert on foreign security?  If not, how the hell would you know if the cost is ridiculous or not?

The bias on Harper. The left would have cheered if he was assassinated. 

Here's my post bucko.

That sounds ridiculous. There must be other ways to provide security for a visiting dignitary. Or maybe the invitation was B.Y.O.A.V.

No political bias.

Just a statement..on security..and how I think 1.2 million sounds high.

Doesn't sound to me that I'm speaking as a qualified expert...at all.

Sounds like I'm saying it sounds ridiculous to bring your own vehicles at an extra cost of $1.2 million.

So, do you have a point, or are you just being pissy?

He supposedly was secured in some sort of small room, thus a "closet".  Here's the thing, he's the PM.  If his security detail had been in the room with him, he would have NOT been given a choice as to where he went and how he was secured.  Was **** Cheney a coward when the secret service burst into his office, picked him up off the floor and carried him to the bunker during 9/11?  Its protocol.

Harper even explained that the RCMP goes through several training scenarios with the PM.

If I recall, the MP's in the room, some of them were arming themselves with whatever they could and prepared to defend themselves and the PM.  As they should.  I cant say what Harper would have done if he was an MP and not the PM, but I'd like to think he'd be one of the people preparing to defend the others.  Regardless, his responsibility was to ensure his own survival.

Was Chretien a coward when his wife fended off an intruder and he ran to the phone to call the cops?

You're mistaking the Prime Ministers powers and importance with that of an American President, they are totally different.  In the Westminster model of government the Prime Minister is not supposed to be indispensable, as in times of war they can be  frequently dispensed and need to be quickly replaced.

The PM is the head representative of his party, basically the top MP.  He is not  granted any special powers over his fellow MP's and is there simply to represent his party.  If the Prime Minister gets knocked off or dies while in office the party pushes the next man up, no election, no muss, no fuss. 

The bastardization of this system that has been progressing over the last 40 years which gives the PM carte blanche over party decisions may make it appear similar to the American model but it isn't supposed to work that way.  Michael Chong's Reform Act is designed to pull the balance of power back towards the elected MP's so that they have more control over party decisions and the direction the leader is taking them.  Hopefully more political reform is on it's way to ensure the political process is preserved as intended.

I'm very aware of the difference between PM and President. But in reality people put the emphasize on the leader. In many ways the PM has more power.

Regardless killing the PM would be a major coup for a terrorist or nutjob and demoralize the nation.

So don't understate the importance of the safety and security of the PM.

I'm very aware of the difference between PM and President. But in reality people put the emphasize on the leader. In many ways the PM has more power.

Regardless killing the PM would be a major coup for a terrorist or nutjob and demoralize the nation.

So don't understate the importance of the safety and security of the PM.

I was being facetious. 

Here's my post bucko.

Sounds like I'm saying it sounds ridiculous to bring your own vehicles at an extra cost of $1.2 million.

Yeah I have a point, Bucko.  I am saying you don't have a clue what security costs, and your entire opinion is politically biased.  I am basing that on all of the bullshit you've posted about Harper in the past.  But really who cares. The election is over, and I would hate to sound "pissy".

When I was working up in Terrace and Chretien was the PM, he spent the entire month of July in his summer getaway in Masset, in the Queen Charlotte Islands.  The security detail and costs were enormous for him to be there, and communications alone were a huge challenge.   At least, from what I was told by people who were part of the detail and planning at the Masset airport.  But you know what, as much as I couldn't stand Chretien, I didn't begrudge him that protection, or the cost.  It is what it is.

Here's my post bucko.

Yeah I have a point, Bucko.  I am saying you don't have a clue what security costs, and your entire opinion is politically biased.  I am basing that on all of the bullshit you've posted about Harper in the past.  But really who cares. The election is over, and I would hate to sound "pissy".

Well, you're wrong..again.

Just a simple statement on my part about the expense of transporting the vehicles.

That's it. Doesn't matter who was the PM.

You just want to spin something, wrong or not.

But you're still pissed that your boy lost the election and that he lost because all that "bullshit" was true.

Oh well.

But you're still pissed that your boy lost the election and that he lost because all that "bullshit" was true.

Oh well.

Except that it wasn't true, and you made a complete fool of yourself, by posting such utter bullshit.  That's the point.  Harper deserved to lose, and he's not "my boy".  I will be just as adamant if next election, you post a bunch of total bullshit about Trudeau. 

Speaking of which:

image.jpg

Here's Trudeau trick or treating yesterday with his wife and kids.  I think it's pretty cool, that we have a leader who dresses up and goes out with his kids, even though this was no doubt a staged photo-op.  How cool would it be to go to your door to give out candy, and there's the prime minister with this kids?  Now, if I was a partisan jack-arse like you, I'd complain about how it cost the taxpayers money for him to go trick or treating, because they would have had to have an RCMP detail following, and probably clearing houses in advance to ensure that the new PM wasn't going into some sort of security risk.  But I won't do that, because I think it's important that he and his kids get to live a normal life, and the parents get to enjoy their kids at this age, including participating in Halloween fun.  Anything else would be un-Canadian.

KBF, I like reading some of the political discussion in this section, but I don't understand why you can't seem to have a conversation without calling the person who disagrees with you a fool, a loon, a jack-arse or some kind of other insult. Especially, after you criticized liberals for thinking they're so much smarter than everyone else in another thread.

Oh well.

Except that it wasn't true, and you made a complete fool of yourself, by posting such utter bullshit.  That's the point.  Harper deserved to lose, and he's not "my boy".  I will be just as adamant if next election, you post a bunch of total bullshit about Trudeau. 

Speaking of which:

image.jpg

Here's Trudeau trick or treating yesterday with his wife and kids.  I think it's pretty cool, that we have a leader who dresses up and goes out with his kids, even though this was no doubt a staged photo-op.  How cool would it be to go to your door to give out candy, and there's the prime minister with this kids?  Now, if I was a partisan jack-arse like you, I'd complain about how it cost the taxpayers money for him to go trick or treating, because they would have had to have an RCMP detail following, and probably clearing houses in advance to ensure that the new PM wasn't going into some sort of security risk.  But I won't do that, because I think it's important that he and his kids get to live a normal life, and the parents get to enjoy their kids at this age, including participating in Halloween fun.  Anything else would be un-Canadian.

Looks like Mrs. Trudeau's is set to disintegrate some interloper with some kind of fancy lazer weapon.  Either that or it's an equally dangerous portable glue-gun.