Odds and Sods - Game 16 Winnipeg Blue Bombers at Ottawa Red Blacks

do or die

two games left, probably going to lose both…. record this year and record last year, together…. pretty bad.

About 12 people in chat last night. Mostly for the jokes.

Down from high forties earlier in the year.

Even hard core fans have lost interest. People with tickets not going to games.

People don't want to hear the excuses. Other teams could use the same excuses, but win instead.

There are going to be changes made. 

They fire MB as the sacrificial lamb but MOS will be back. That'll be changes. Maybe they'll hire a new STC. That'll be  the extent of the changes & what will be sold to the fans. 

two games left, probably going to lose both…. record this year and record last year, together…. pretty bad.

People don't want to hear the excuses. Other teams could use the same excuses, but win instead.

They fire MB as the sacrificial lamb but MOS will be back. That'll be changes. Maybe they'll hire a new STC. That'll be  the extent of the changes & what will be sold to the fans. 

I hope you're wrong and I worry that you're right. That situation is most likely to result in firing O'Shea mid-season when all the good coaches have jobs. It would probably mean giving him an extension in the offseason so he's not a lame duck coach too so we can pay him for not being our HC.

I'm on the fence about bringing O'Shea back or not next season.   It really depends on what day of the week you ask me.

However, I do believe giving Mike O'Shea an extension at this point would be an absolute disaster.

.390 <-- That is this franchises winning percentage over the last decade.

All of that is definitely not on O'Shea and Walters, but it is what this fan base has had to suffer through and the reality of the situation they have to deal with.   Extending a coach who is 12 - 22 would be sending the wrong message for season ticket renewals.

Fun fact... next week... Henry needs 8 yards to hit 60000 in his career. First throw really. If MB was his oc... that would take a quarter

He may hit 60,000 next week!  :P

I hope you're wrong and I worry that you're right. That situation is most likely to result in firing O'Shea mid-season when all the good coaches have jobs. It would probably mean giving him an extension in the offseason so he's not a lame duck coach too so we can pay him for not being our HC.

The organization should be flush with cash from hosting the grey cup. Probably in the 5-10 million dollar range. It'll be interesting to see how much of that the BOD decides to give to Miller as a reward for fleecing the fans these last two years by doing everything on the cheap. Maybe he'll hire some bona fide blue chip personnel. We can hope. Then again, maybe he gets nothing and it's just more of the same in return for keeping his job. I mean, as long as the organization is making money, where is the incentive for putting a good product on the field?

Is there any reason to believe that O'shea's roster management will improve after this season?  Nine linebackers and one backup receiver!?  You think he would have learned by season 2.  What makes anyone thinks he will improve his decision-making in season 3?  It shouldn't take that long.

We don't have any receivers worth dressing! Kyle Walters needs to get his **** together. 

Is there any reason to believe that O'shea's roster management will improve after this season?  Nine linebackers and one backup receiver!?  You think he would have learned by season 2.  What makes anyone thinks he will improve his decision-making in season 3?  It shouldn't take that long.

We don't have any receivers worth dressing! Kyle Walters needs to get his **** together. 

If Kyle Walters does take that job at university next year should the Bombers' new GM be forced to stick with O'shea or should he be allowed to pick his own candidate?  This potentially limits the number of candidates the Bombers might attract in the off season.  

If Kyle Walters does take that job at university next year should the Bombers' new GM be forced to stick with O'shea or should he be allowed to pick his own candidate?  This potentially limits the number of candidates the Bombers might attract in the off season.  

A new GM should always have the ability to bring in his own head coach. 

We retained Marcel, for this year.   Big mistake.

We didn't dump him early in this season.  

Despite the total futility, we didn't dump him mid-season, deciding to ride out the year with him.  

How many clues did the our brain trust really need, to make an essential move, to give us some sort of chance?

Hope that the folks who kept talking to me about stability, making panic moves, not being able to find an OC, after season start, etc, etc....are  good and happy now.

And who made those decisions, as well as choosing Etch and the now-departed ST coach?

The organization should be flush with cash from hosting the grey cup. Probably in the 5-10 million dollar range. It'll be interesting to see how much of that the BOD decides to give to Miller as a reward for fleecing the fans these last two years by doing everything on the cheap. Maybe he'll hire some bona fide blue chip personnel. We can hope. Then again, maybe he gets nothing and it's just more of the same in return for keeping his job. I mean, as long as the organization is making money, where is the incentive for putting a good product on the field?

This is simply untrue. The football operations aspect of the WFC has increased substantially since Miller took over.

Just to be clear, I'm talking about Miller going with a cheap GM and HC. I sincerely doubt Walters and O'Shea are in the upper stratosphere of the pay scale for GMs and HCs. They were cheap, easy hires, right Wade? The same could probably be said for MB as well.

Just to be clear, I'm talking about Miller going with a cheap GM and HC. I sincerely doubt Walters and O'Shea are in the upper stratosphere of the pay scale for GMs and HCs. They were cheap, easy hires, right Wade? The same could probably be said for MB as well.

Seeing that the GM hires the HC and the HC hires the OC, I'm not sure why you'd bring up the CEO because the only one he's hired is the GM.

And I'm not trying to defend Walters appointment as GM, just trying to introduce a little bit of desperately needed logic.

Its so odd a guy can find stud LBs or DBs and flunk so hard on the other side of the ball.. Do our scouts specialize in defense? Are they told defense first then others?

I just cant grasp the weird failure rate at RB, reciever, QB and up to lately import hogs.

Miller's grimy pawprints are all over this team. He's responsible for Walters (and therefore O'Shea) and he brought Bellefeuille here. Those 3 amigos are thick as thieves. Miller is the one who ultimately has to answer for this mess.

Miller as CEO has done lots of good things for this team. Seriously seems like agenda pushing when miller is being attacked. Miller has done way more good for this organization than bad.

Miller as CEO has done lots of good things for this team. Seriously seems like agenda pushing when miller is being attacked. Miller has done way more good for this organization than bad.

What good, exactly? We won 7 games last year & 5 games so far this year, GC capacity reduced from 40,000 to 36,000. Got into a pissing match with Gary Bettman & we lost the Heritage Game at IGF. How can any of this be called good things? 

Got into a pissing match with Gary Bettman & we lost the Heritage Game at IGF. How can any of this be called good things?

You can strut and pee all over Miller at your leisure, but did you really expect Miller to bow down to Bettman when the NHL wanted their Dec date and not later, as Miller wanted? A Dec date within weeks of the Grey Cup, and you think Miller pissed it away? Wrong. Not good timing

And besides, it has only been postponed, it's still being negotiated.

Jets didn't want it in December either BTW. They wanted late Feb or March. It wasn't just miller and the heritage game will be played here eventually. Maybe next season even.

My understanding is December didn't work for the jets or bombers. Feb and march didn't work for the nhl.

Doesn't matter. Two portly-jacket-unbuttoned-buffoons going at it over a smoothie doesn't bother me at all that Bettman couldn't bully his way past Miller and get his way. Boo hoo. The NHL still owe the Jets, in one way or another, over the lost rookie draft from years ago. They will be back. Bettman likes Chipman, and anywhere where they can make money. And they would make money in Winnipeg.

Gone. Heritage Game ain't coming back anytime soon. In case you haven't noticed, you don't piss off Gary Bettman. 

I'm glad Miller stood his ground on this one, and I'm also a huge Jets fan and season ticket holder.   The Heritage Classic within weeks of the Grey Cup would have had an affect on Grey Cup sales.  

We get one Grey Cup every 10 years.  You don't put it at risk for a rental fee on the stadium.

Gone. Heritage Game ain't coming back anytime soon. In case you haven't noticed, you don't piss off Gary Bettman. 

I'm glad Miller stood his ground on this one, and I'm also a huge Jets fan and season ticket holder.   The Heritage Classic within weeks of the Grey Cup would have had an affect on Grey Cup sales.  

We get one Grey Cup every 10 years.  You don't put it at risk for a rental fee on the stadium.

Could be a long time before we get another so we should get out support it and all that goes with Grey Cup Week, but as of now Miller is a complete fail as CEO.