Grey Cup Ticket Sales

blueandgoldguy

I think you will see an exodus of not only new bomber fans but also us old folk. Where I sit with my season ticket friends of over 15 years or more 1/2 are not renewing next year. And then to rub in the season ticket holders faces to reduce prices, give away tickets etc with no consequences after demanding a 3 year contract for a lousy 100 off over inflated prices, well that I think has broken the camels back in other instances as well. Time will tell however the most telling stat is that season tickets sales and attendance has consistently gone down for the past 4 years, save for the first year at IGF and one can attribute that to the novelty of a new stadium albeit a bungled effort at that. I still wish them luck but will not travel to and from the lake each and every game to be embarrassed game in and game out, wanting to leave at half time but can't, and generally not entertained. I certainly don't mind losing, just look at our record of late, however I would like to be entertained while losing. Can't say that is happening anymore.

Which games this year were we embarrassed at halftime?  Besides the Hamilton blowout, we were in most games if not leading at some point in the 3rd or 4th quarters.  

A disgruntled STH. Who knew? ;)

The Nissan deal is pretty much par for the course for the clowns running this show. Anyone that thinks the prices for the GC were reasonable clearly had their head somewhere other than Winnipeg. There was no way in hell my Dad and I were going to buy tickets. When I saw the prices I was pretty darn sure that it epwas going to be a really hard sell.

First off most of the sales have to come from the host city and the best way to sell to themselves is field a competitive team. While there was some reason for optimism that we should have had a better team I confident that most people were not going to blindly commit hundreds of dollars hoping Winnipeg would be there. So they held off.

Next, with the game being in late November chances were very good that it was going to be really freaking cold. Now who in their right mind outside Winnipeg is going to want to pay so much money to potentially freeze their butts off for three plus hours. (That alone was enough to keep myself and my dad away, we are just not that hardy anymore.)

IMHO the largest mistake the Bombers made was going for a GC game before the team was fixed. However, knowing who is running this team and how long this team has been run like a circus it doesn't surprise me that they went for a GC game here so soon, slapped committed fans in the face for their commitment, and had a hard time selling this game.

Luckily the fates intervened and supplied two teams that have GC hungry fans rather than regular attendees. I hope that Ottawa and Edmonton fans flood here and really enjoy themselves. I wish both teams luck and hope they gives us a great show.

When you're talking Grey Cup in Winnipeg or Regina, this game should have been played the first Sunday after Remembrance Day. Not the last Sunday in November. Having a blizzard in the Western Final is fun. Having a blizzard or bitterly cold temperatures & windchill for the Grey Cup would have been a disaster. It looks like we'll get lucky weather wise for the game on Sunday but it could have been a lot worse. 

Can anyone confirm a story I heard today from a friend in Winnipeg who told me Nissan purchased 2,000 Grey Cup tickets to be given away to students in schools all over Winnipeg? If Nissan did purchase such a huge block of tickets I would think they wouldn't have paid full price for them. Once again, it's just a story I heard. I don't know if it's true.

It was 1000 tickets and it would have been a taxable write off for Nissan since the tickets were donated.

Nice that you spin this story in a negative way, when there are now 1000 students (lots from lower income families) that will now get the chance of a lifetime to see the championship game live with their teammates.  This wouldn't have been possible without Nissan's generosity.

I didn't "spin" anything. It's what I heard. I was asking if anyone knew if the story told to me was true, that's all. 

That's the way your post came across to me.  

Yeah, well you work for the Bombers & it appears that you are extra sensitive. If you're going to be this way maybe you shouldn't be a mod here as it is a conflict of interest. Just a member. I was just asking a question, nothing else. 

Not extra sensitive at all.  Everyone's entitled to their opinion.  It's when people want to corroborate on something they've heard that defames the club when they don't know the true facts, that I feel the need to correct it.  I would do this in any case, whether I worked for the team or not. 

In having said that, if you don't want me to be a mod here, then voice your feelings to the admins here and they can address it.  I've never used my powers here for evil, or have ever deleted or moderated any comments that would be to the football clubs interest.  That's not my prerogative at all.

Finally, I'll retract my previous statement and give you the benefit of the doubt with your initial inquiry, my apologies for taking it out of context.

Okay, thanks. I just asked a question.i wasn't insinuating anything other than to say I would think that a corporation or company that buys such a large block of tickets wouldn't pay full price. I meant no harm.

When you're talking Grey Cup in Winnipeg or Regina, this game should have been played the first Sunday after Remembrance Day. Not the last Sunday in November. Having a blizzard in the Western Final is fun. Having a blizzard or bitterly cold temperatures & windchill for the Grey Cup would have been a disaster. It looks like we'll get lucky weather wise for the game on Sunday but it could have been a lot worse. 

Yeah.

Makes you wonder still why this league don't start earlier but then people will bring up NHL playoffs. Sad to leave out June weather.

Yeah.

Makes you wonder still why this league don't start earlier but then people will bring up NHL playoffs. Sad to leave out June weather.

Welkl, I don't disagree with what people say as it's true but I'd rather deal with cold rainy, spring weather in early to mid June than minus 20' s or worse temps in November when the GC is played in late November in a prairie city. I don't agree with playing the GC on Halloween but mid November seems reasonable.

Lol. You can tell iso don't live here. It's gonna be 0 or -1 at kickoff. The low is like -6.

It will be colder in Edmonton last week then it will be here this week.

If -1 is cold.... how you say this... let's just say here kitty kitty kitty.

Calgary will be plus 4 on Sunday or a bit warmer. This has been a warmer fall because of El Nino & for that I'm grateful the GC won't be a **** show Sunday because of extreme cold. It could have been a lot worse.

And u think they would ever really say the game wasn't sold out? Welcome to marketing 101 at the Asper school of business.

Some events will be announced as sold out when they get down to single seats only but I went on ticketmaster when this announcement was made and the website said there was actually nothing left.

some of my observations

1) There sure are a lot of "grey cup people" wandering around downtown, most dressed head to toe in colours of a team that isn't playing. I can't see myself flying across the country to watch a grey cup the bombers aren't in and going to a bunch of events in bomber colours but maybe I'm no fun

2) saw a bunch of redblacks waiting in line for a table at BP. I would have thought professional athletes eat better than that but apparently not.

Hi Bomber fans:

I'm going to be driving in from Edmonton tomorrow to go to the big game. I've been looking at resale tickets and using the Bomber virtual venue to get a rough idea of what the view from the seats are like. Are the guard rails on the upper deck an issue at all? They appear to be an obstruction for the  first rows of the upper deck.

I have to say that might favourite nickname on this site to date is Throw Long Bannatyne. Everybody knows that that's the way it goes...