Grey Cup Ticket Sales

blueandgoldguy

BC was not sold out last year

Yeah that pissed me off.  In 2011 the place was packed out with a whole bunch of fake Lions fans and then last year there were thousands of empty seats.  BC sucks.

You just cant have it in the same city twice in 4 years.

You can if you're ******* David Braley. 

Weren't we supposed to have the Grey Cup originally last year but something to do with the timing of the stadium not being done made it difficult for us to actually get the game? 

Think BC stepped up cuz basically they weren't convinced IGF would be ready for it yet...

Thought it had something to do with that. 

in hindsight the prices really are crazy... I paid $199 for my P8 (or whatever the lowest P is) seat and that was with the $100 STH discount... 

In hindsight a seat similar to yours in BC last year would have been $225, or $249 in Regina the year before, or $250 in Toronto in 2012.  

Prices are comparable to what they have been in recent Grey Cup games for most sections. 

in hindsight the prices really are crazy... I paid $199 for my P8 (or whatever the lowest P is) seat and that was with the $100 STH discount... 

In hindsight a seat similar to yours in BC last year would have been $225, or $249 in Regina the year before, or $250 in Toronto in 2012.  

Prices are comparable to what they have been in recent Grey Cup games for most sections. 

Fair enough... I should have clarified I have no issue with my ticket price.... but I got a discount and I'm a huge CFL fan... most of my friends think I'm an idiot for going to the Grey Cup and an even bigger idiot for being a die hard Bombers fan...

I'm thinking that's a tough sell for casual fans...

Fair enough... I should have clarified I have no issue with my ticket price.... but I got a discount and I'm a huge CFL fan... most of my friends think I'm an idiot for going to the Grey Cup and an even bigger idiot for being a die hard Bombers fan...

I'm thinking that's a tough sell for casual fans...

Is the GC really marketing to the casual fan tho? Seems to me they go for the diehard bomber fans a la STH and then the league wide fanbases. Seems to have worked out as its almost a sellout.

Ticket prices are stupid. Four hundred ninety nine dollars for a good seat? Three hundred ninety nine for a Bomber STH. Miller was nuts.

The game is going to sell out at these prices.

Yea that miller guy was one craaaaazy fox lol ;)

Prices are actually more expensive for  this year's Grey Cup when you look at comparable seats in Vancouver last year.

----------------------- Vancouver-----------Winnipeg

lower bowl                 $315                       $399

w/dsct betw. 30s

lower bowl

wo/dsct betw 30s       $350                       $499

lower bowl w/dsct.      $315                      $299

30s - goal line and 

upper deck goal 

line to goal line

lower bowl wo/dsct     $350                       $399

30s - goal line and 

upper deck goal line

to goal line

lower bowl corners     $225                       $249

w/dsct.

lower bowl corners     $250                       $350

wo/dsct.

upper deck corners    $225                       $200

w/dsct

upper deck corners    $250                       $300

wo/dsct

end zone lower bowl   $135                       $199

w/dsct

end zone lower bowl   $150                       $299

wo/dsct

end zone upper deck  $135                       $175

w/dsct.

end zone upper deck  $150                       $175

wo/dsct.

THe bolded are the more expensive price points so as you can see in almost every case other than two, comparable seats are more expensive than last year's Grey Cup.  IN several instances, it's quite noticeable especially when we are looking at non-discounted tickets.

Vancouver had nearly ten thousand or so seats available in the month leading up to the game and had to give away thousands to military and volunteers and charities.  They also had to discount thousands to business and individuals.  Wade and the Grey Cup committee should have paid attention to this.  Instead, they decided to charge a higher average price - so high in fact that they had to resort to cutting capacity by 3000 or so to have the lowest Grey Cup capacity in 40 years.

Not only that, I have heard they were giving businesses (not sure if it was specific sponsors or something beyond that) $100 discounts on tickets given the slow sales.  I have also confirmed from someone else who recently bought a pair of the cheap seats in the temporary end zone ($175  each) that they were upgraded to the next highest price point ($299 lower bowl end zone) at no additional charge.  In essence they were given a $125 discount on tickets. 

So factor in who knows how many giveaways have been offered to military, charities and volunteers and this will be a rather hollow sellout.  If Grey Cup organizing committee had paid attention to recent history and offered an extra price point and some better discounted and non-discounted prices - not to mention get rid of the stupid 3-year commitment to get said discount - then they wouldn't have had to reduce capacity and resort to huge discounts and giveaways.

A sellout will be a hollow victory.

Ticket prices are stupid. Four hundred ninety nine dollars for a good seat? Three hundred ninety nine for a Bomber STH. Miller was nuts.

LOL! At four thousand less capacity than planned. If you believe that they had to move the halftime show to the end zone, okay. ;) Can anyone confirm a story I heard today from a friend in Winnipeg who told me Nissan purchased 2,000 Grey Cup tickets to be given away to students in schools all over Winnipeg? If Nissan did purchase such a huge block of tickets I would think they wouldn't have paid full price for them. Once again, it's just a story I heard. I don't know if it's true.

I have also confirmed from someone else who recently bought a pair of the cheap seats in the temporary end zone ($175  each) that they were upgraded to the next highest price point ($299 lower bowl end zone) at no additional charge.  In essence they were given a $125 discount on tickets. 

When I went to pick up my GC tickets, the guy standing beside me was informed his tickets had been upgraded.  I had a couple thoughts when that went down:

A) What if he specifically chose those seats to be near friends (as we did when we picked ours)?  He said he wasn't told about the upgrade prior so he was pretty surprised by it.  

B ) You think they'd be a little more discreet about basically rewarding people who bought the cheapest tickets they could get.  Just to blurt it out in the middle of the Bomber store with a bunch of people waiting for their full priced tickets felt like a bit of a slap in the face.  No extra bonus for us, even though we paid double the price.

Prices are actually more expensive for  this year's Grey Cup when you look at comparable seats in Vancouver last year.

----------------------- Vancouver-----------Winnipeg

lower bowl                 $315                       $399

w/dsct betw. 30s

lower bowl

wo/dsct betw 30s       $350                       $499

lower bowl w/dsct.      $315                      $299

30s - goal line and 

upper deck goal 

line to goal line

lower bowl wo/dsct     $350                       $399

30s - goal line and 

upper deck goal line

to goal line

lower bowl corners     $225                       $249

w/dsct.

lower bowl corners     $250                       $350

wo/dsct.

upper deck corners    $225                       $200

w/dsct

upper deck corners    $250                       $300

wo/dsct

end zone lower bowl   $135                       $199

w/dsct

end zone lower bowl   $150                       $299

wo/dsct

end zone upper deck  $135                       $175

w/dsct.

end zone upper deck  $150                       $175

wo/dsct.

THe bolded are the more expensive price points so as you can see in almost every case other than two, comparable seats are more expensive than last year's Grey Cup.  IN several instances, it's quite noticeable especially when we are looking at non-discounted tickets.

Vancouver had nearly ten thousand or so seats available in the month leading up to the game and had to give away thousands to military and volunteers and charities.  They also had to discount thousands to business and individuals.  Wade and the Grey Cup committee should have paid attention to this.  Instead, they decided to charge a higher average price - so high in fact that they had to resort to cutting capacity by 3000 or so to have the lowest Grey Cup capacity in 40 years.

Not only that, I have heard they were giving businesses (not sure if it was specific sponsors or something beyond that) $100 discounts on tickets given the slow sales.  I have also confirmed from someone else who recently bought a pair of the cheap seats in the temporary end zone ($175  each) that they were upgraded to the next highest price point ($299 lower bowl end zone) at no additional charge.  In essence they were given a $125 discount on tickets. 

So factor in who knows how many giveaways have been offered to military, charities and volunteers and this will be a rather hollow sellout.  If Grey Cup organizing committee had paid attention to recent history and offered an extra price point and some better discounted and non-discounted prices - not to mention get rid of the stupid 3-year commitment to get said discount - then they wouldn't have had to reduce capacity and resort to huge discounts and giveaways.

A sellout will be a hollow victory.

Touching on some of your points because I feel that that you share information without knowing all the facts.

1.  NOT factoring in the temp seating, the average price is about $270/ticket for this year's game and was about $238/ticket in BC last year. So if you do add in that the $175 tickets would drop that $270.  So it is a little more.  You concede there are only two price points that are lower for this year's game, but they are the most important ones: the seats between the goal lines, which are mostly season ticket holders.  

2.  Again cutting the capacity of the stadium for the game had nothing to do with the sales.  The temp seating has been the hottest sellers and even if it wasn't going to be a sellout, another 3000 in the north end zone, if it was viable would have made more sense from a business standpoint.  

3.  Discounts offered to corporate sponsors, most of whom have multiple season tickets, would be given the $100 discount just like regular season ticket holders.  Others may have had it written into their contract if they signed on just this year as well.  

4.  And the people you know who were upgraded, were done so because either they had purchased in the non-existent north end zone temp seating, or had purchased in the south, but had to be moved after the actual seating was constructed and the seating was reconfigured.  These fans were all informed by email, but obviously some would have been surprised by this if they had never read the message.  

Your opinion is that will be a hollow victory and that is your opinion.  The fact is though is that we will have a sold out stadium at a higher than last year's price point, in addition to the premium sections (loges and suites) all being sold to max capacity.  Whether it happened now or two months ago is really not that important.  What's important is that the game will be sold out, and the football club will make a nice profit, and that is a hard earned victory for everyone involved. 

Can anyone confirm a story I heard today from a friend in Winnipeg who told me Nissan purchased 2,000 Grey Cup tickets to be given away to students in schools all over Winnipeg? If Nissan did purchase such a huge block of tickets I would think they wouldn't have paid full price for them. Once again, it's just a story I heard. I don't know if it's true.

It was 1000 tickets and it would have been a taxable write off for Nissan since the tickets were donated.

Nice that you spin this story in a negative way, when there are now 1000 students (lots from lower income families) that will now get the chance of a lifetime to see the championship game live with their teammates.  This wouldn't have been possible without Nissan's generosity.

I have also confirmed from someone else who recently bought a pair of the cheap seats in the temporary end zone ($175  each) that they were upgraded to the next highest price point ($299 lower bowl end zone) at no additional charge.  In essence they were given a $125 discount on tickets. 

When I went to pick up my GC tickets, the guy standing beside me was informed his tickets had been upgraded.  I had a couple thoughts when that went down:

A) What if he specifically chose those seats to be near friends (as we did when we picked ours)?  He said he wasn't told about the upgrade prior so he was pretty surprised by it.  

B ) You think they'd be a little more discreet about basically rewarding people who bought the cheapest tickets they could get.  Just to blurt it out in the middle of the Bomber store with a bunch of people waiting for their full priced tickets felt like a bit of a slap in the face.  No extra bonus for us, even though we paid double the price.

Good to know they continue to do a wonderful job of shitting all over their loyal season ticket holders who bought tickets early.

My company recently received an e-mail detailing an *exclusive* discount program to anyone who purchased Grey Cup tickets, which ended up being a better offer than the one I received as a season ticket holder because it was the same price for tickets minus a three year commitment to future season tickets.

Can anyone confirm a story I heard today from a friend in Winnipeg who told me Nissan purchased 2,000 Grey Cup tickets to be given away to students in schools all over Winnipeg? If Nissan did purchase such a huge block of tickets I would think they wouldn't have paid full price for them. Once again, it's just a story I heard. I don't know if it's true.

It was 1000 tickets and it would have been a taxable write off for Nissan since the tickets were donated.

Nice that you spin this story in a negative way, when there are now 1000 students (lots from lower income families) that will now get the chance of a lifetime to see the championship game live with their teammates.  This wouldn't have been possible without Nissan's generosity.

I didn't "spin" anything. It's what I heard. I was asking if anyone knew if the story told to me was true, that's all. 

I didn't "spin" anything. It's what I heard. I was asking if anyone knew if the story told to me was true, that's all. 

That's the way your post came across to me.  

LOL! At four thousand less capacity than planned. If you believe that they had to move the halftime show to the end zone, okay. ;) Can anyone confirm a story I heard today from a friend in Winnipeg who told me Nissan purchased 2,000 Grey Cup tickets to be given away to students in schools all over Winnipeg? If Nissan did purchase such a huge block of tickets I would think they wouldn't have paid full price for them. Once again, it's just a story I heard. I don't know if it's true.

I wouldn't be surprised.  Like I said above I have already heard of free upgrades to the next highest price point - $175 seat upgraded to a $299 seat - so they are essentially offering huge discounts on tickets.

If the total profits from this year's Grey Cup is only $5 million or so which is half of Regina's profit two years ago, that would have to be considered a disappointment.