Flames/Stampeders $890 million Complex: Watch Here

iso_55

Odd, isn't it? Somehow sports franchises (corporations, really) are some sort of sacred cows and deserving of massive public funds as opposed to individuals who are reviled for being temporarily (for the most part) down on their luck.

As an example, in Detroit, the city agreed to give over $200 million plus iinfrastructure improvements of an undetermined value to the very profitable Red Wings owner (who is worth some 5.8 billion) to build a $660 million new arena. And the city did this a week after declaring bankruptcy. Sort of a reverse Robin Hood thingie.

Well, it provides jobs, brings in entertainers that want to perform at good venues, brings in tourism, makes people want to actually live there instead of moving away, etc...  So it is good for the city in the end.  Look at all the stuff they do at IGF now.

Well, it provides jobs, brings in entertainers that want to perform at good venues, brings in tourism, makes people want to actually live there instead of moving away, etc... So it is good for the city in the end. Look at all the stuff they do at IGF now.

Exactly...One Direction would have never come to Winnipeg if not for IGF ;)

The thing is, the facilities are going to be used for a lot more than just the corps (Stamps/Flames/Roughnecks/etc) as there will be massive amateur useage, plus the jobs being created in the construction of it are MASSIVELY needed right now. Lotta skilled labourers that could use the gig. 

So there is a lot of positive to this....but I also understand the "No Public Money" thing, too. This thing is far from over....

200 Million plus the city cleaning up the land? Ouch... Hope it happens but.. I'm not sure it's much more than a dream right now. I will say this tho, Before IGF was eventually built and even the new Mosaic and for that matter THF... there were years upon years of talk and more talk and more talk and designs and all sorts of stuff... This is just step 1. In 5 or 6 years, maybe they actually put shovels in the ground. 

200 Million plus the city cleaning up the land? Ouch... Hope it happens but.. I'm not sure it's much more than a dream right now. I will say this tho, Before IGF was eventually built and even the new Mosaic and for that matter THF... there were years upon years of talk and more talk and more talk and designs and all sorts of stuff... This is just step 1. In 5 or 6 years, maybe they actually put shovels in the ground. 

They might have to wait that long to get Nenshi voted out of power and get someone "more favourable to the cause" voted in......

I'm not sure why some people are against public funding for these places tho, Like the star trek guy said... creates jobs, brings in lots of money for the economy. That's honestly why i never understood those who had an issue with IGF being publically  funded. Man, if people actually stepped back and look at some of the crap our tax dollars goes too,  I don't think they would be complaining about sports teams getting funding either. 

Pro Sports teams gives your city an identity... Man, look at the JETS, they left and a small part, a large part even of this cities identity left with them.... They were brought back and a part of our identity returned.

Sports is huge, does more good than harm thats for sure. If i was in charge, I'd  fund every damn arena and stadium proposal possible with tax payers money. 

I watched like 10 minutes of that video b4 i got bored as hell but the one thing, is that ken king? the one thing he kept saying over and over and over and over is... a PUBLIC fieldhouse... to be used 365 days a year. Pretty evident he was letting it be known that this is being built with the PUBLIC in mind... Yup, it's CFL stadium and a hockey arena but... it's mainly gonna be used as a Public facility...

Lets just break something down really quick.. Stamps play 9 home games  a year... Flames play 41 or 42 i think... Lets include playoffs and add, let's just say a nice easy round rumber..20 more dates in total....

51 + 20 = 71. For the remaining damn near 300 days of the year.. it's a public facility. Thought mentioning Public facility over and over was smart. 

I'm not sure why some people are against public funding for these places tho, Like the star trek guy said... creates jobs, brings in lots of money for the economy. That's honestly why i never understood those who had an issue with IGF being publically  funded. Man, if people actually stepped back and look at some of the crap our tax dollars goes too,  I don't think they would be complaining about sports teams getting funding either. 

Pro Sports teams gives your city an identity... Man, look at the JETS, they left and a small part, a large part even of this cities identity left with them.... They were brought back and a part of our identity returned.

Sports is huge, does more good than harm thats for sure. If i was in charge, I'd  fund every damn arena and stadium proposal possible with tax payers money. 

That's why I never voted for you.

They might have to wait that long to get Nenshi voted out of power and get someone "more favourable to the cause" voted in......
http://calgaryherald.com/sports/hockey/nhl/calgary-flames/flames-reveal-details-of-900m-downtown-arena-stadium-plan

So what is a 240 mill Community Revitalization Levy? Sounds like a tax.

Odd, isn't it? Somehow sports franchises (corporations, really) are some sort of sacred cows and deserving of massive public funds as opposed to individuals who are reviled for being temporarily (for the most part) down on their luck.

As an example, in Detroit, the city agreed to give over $200 million plus iinfrastructure improvements of an undetermined value to the very profitable Red Wings owner (who is worth some 5.8 billion) to build a $660 million new arena. And the city did this a week after declaring bankruptcy. Sort of a reverse Robin Hood thingie.

Yes, sports franchises are coveted by citizens.

Just stumbled across worldstadiums.com. The City of London, UK, has 14 stadiums, each with capacity of 20k or more. Another 11 with capacity from 10k to 20k. Sports franchises have sway.

http://www.worldstadiums.com/europe/countries/united_kingdom/england/london.shtml

http://calgaryherald.com/sports/hockey/nhl/calgary-flames/flames-reveal-details-of-900m-downtown-arena-stadium-plan

Provincial funding. 

The emotional argument is about the only long-term one.  There's no economic benefit on a region to having pro sports.  Most of the jobs are comparable to working retail, and very few are full-time.  Like Noeller says, there is the short-term benefit of building it.

I fully agree with using public money in many cases, I just hate when they try to make it seem financially sensible.  In reality it is tossing money into a financial black hole.  Fair enough and like you said a lot of public money goes into projects that will never return that money to the public purse, just be honest.  Otherwise you end up in the mess we've been stepping in for half a decade now.

Provincial funding.

Oh. Ok. I'm believing you. Did Edmonton get Provincial Funding for their new Ice Palace? Didn't someone just spend a whack of dough on Commonwealth, right? Did the Prov Gov also contribute to Commonwealth and the facility in Ft. Mac.?

Provincial funding.

Oh. Ok. I'm believing you. Did Edmonton get Provincial Funding for their new Ice Palace? Didn't someone just spend a whack of dough on Commonwealth, right? Did the Prov Gov also contribute to Commonwealth and the facility in Ft. Mac.?

Provincial funding.

Yes,yes,yes,yes,yes.