Flames/Stampeders $890 million Complex: Watch Here

iso_55

Getting over the Bow River north & southbound on Crowchild Trail is bad enough weekdays. It starts backing up in the morning by the U of C southbound until 9 or 9;30 am & northbound at 3 pm.

Crowchild over the Bow River is just the worst example of traffic planning anywhere. I'd sure like to ask the guy who designed that what the hell he was thinking. 

Anymore details on what the capacities of the new arenas are?

With the C Train it's still easier to get to than somewhere far & gone on Stony Trail. I'd say at least twenty thousand fans use the C Train to go to McMahon Stadium for Stamps games so we really don't know how this complex will impact traffic although I agree with you traffic is nuts there. With this complex it's pretty clear that the Powers That Be don't want Calgarians like me using our cars.

They would obviously be doing a lot of changes to the traffic flow there. To be honest I don't think it'd be all that much worse than where Mcmahon is now for traffic. There's some ****** up places down there but it all seems to be changing anyway because they know it's ****** up.

******* eh! ;)

**** **** balls ass ***** ***** **** .... just testing to see what gets past the filter... that's what we're all doing, right?

EDIT: only 2 of my 7 words made it  :(

Fuckers :lol:

I understand MTSC was a much cheaper funding model but the point is that, assuming the public investment doesnt get out of hand, I see no problem with the government investing in these projects.

Also, when the Jets left town, Winnipeg was essentially a black hole.  Not saying the Jets leaving caused it but the 90's sucked in Winnipeg.  The Jets left because there was no building and no owner.

Realistically, just a quick glance at the Calgary proposal, I think the Flames should be paying a lot more.  They have a billionaire owner.  And its not just the sports buildings, but the fact that this will be a residential and commercial development.  I presume the Flames' owners will be the developers.  They stand to reap hundreds of millions of dollars in profit over the years.  I think the government can invest but private development should be the main contributor to their own developments.

When the Jets were here, the city was a black hole for much of the 80s and 90s.  In the early 2000s, the city and province began growing again primarily due to the provincial nominee program.  Jets did not create some sort of economic boom when they came back though some like to spin that narrative.

It will be interesting how the proposal and renders for this project will change over the coming years.  Remember how many different renders there were for the new winnipeg stadium.  First, at Assiniboine Downs, then the old stadium site, then Point Douglas and finally the U of M Campus along with the proposal from Ledohowski in St. B.  Wouldn't be surprised if this project gets whittled down to an arena and the orginal plans for the $200 million fieldhouse, maybe with a Flames practice rink attached.  Stamps probably get stuck with a refurb.

It will be interesting how the proposal and renders for this project will change over the coming years.  Remember how many different renders there were for the new winnipeg stadium.  First, at Assiniboine Downs, then the old stadium site, then Point Douglas and finally the U of M Campus along with the proposal from Ledohowski in St. B.  Wouldn't be surprised if this project gets whittled down to an arena and the orginal plans for the $200 million fieldhouse, maybe with a Flames practice rink attached.  Stamps probably get stuck with a refurb.

Ken King has stated that it's this plan or nothing. There is no Plan B......

City council will call his bluff.  The funding model will change, the stadium/arena concept will change.  Who knows - even the site may change.

Maybe Quebec City will build a stadium and they can just move both teams.

Another example of stupidity:

Wisconsin Helps Buy Billionaire Owners a New Arena

$250 million cut from state universities, $250 million given to Milwaukee Bucks.
August 18, 2015

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker has just delivered a thundering slam-dunk in the face of state taxpayers by lining up $250 million in public funds for the Milwaukee Bucks’ three billionaire owners to build a new $500 million Milwaukee Bucks arena.

The contrast between the plight of Milwaukee, 4th poorest major city in the country, and the fortunes of the new Bucks’ owners could not be more stark. The three principle new owners—Marc Lasry (net worth: $1.7 billion, according to Fortune), Wes Edens ($2.5 billion) and Jamie Dinan ($2.4 billion)—are worth a combined $6.7 billion. (Edens is also the majority stockholder of Nation star, a nationwide mortgage servicer, which “manages some of the city’s worst kept foreclosed homes, properties commandeered by raccoons and drug dealers, “the NY Times reported.

$250 million cut from state universities, $250 million given to Milwaukee Bucks.
August 18, 2015

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker has just delivered a thundering slam-dunk in the face of state taxpayers by lining up $250 million in public funds for the Milwaukee Bucks’ three billionaire owners to build a new $500 million Milwaukee Bucks arena.

The contrast between the plight of Milwaukee, 4th poorest major city in the country, and the fortunes of the new Bucks’ owners could not be more stark. The three principle new owners—Marc Lasry (net worth: $1.7 billion, according to Fortune), Wes Edens ($2.5 billion) and Jamie Dinan ($2.4 billion)—are worth a combined $6.7 billion. (Edens is also the majority stockholder of Nation star, a nationwide mortgage servicer, which “manages some of the city’s worst kept foreclosed homes, properties commandeered by raccoons and drug dealers, “the NY Times reported.

I think that was in part of the video that ISO put up.  They talked about that.  It was ridiculous how the politician was like "I was on the great wall of china with my Bucks jersey on and some chinese person came up to me and said that he knew the bucks were basketball team....that means something".  It was the lamest thing I ever heard.

August 18, 2015

I think that was in part of the video that ISO put up.  They talked about that.  It was ridiculous how the politician was like "I was on the great wall of china with my Bucks jersey on and some chinese person came up to me and said that he knew the bucks were basketball team....that means something".  It was the lamest thing I ever heard.

Actually it was me that put up the video ;) ... and yes, I'm pretty sure the arena in Milwaukee was the impetus for that entire segment... 

August 18, 2015

Actually it was me that put up the video ;) ... and yes, I'm pretty sure the arena in Milwaukee was the impetus for that entire segment... 

That's what I said...the video that bearpants put up...can't you read?!?!

*cough*...runs away.

August 18, 2015

And we wonder why the middle class is being squeezed in this country and in the US.

August 18, 2015

And we wonder why the middle class is being squeezed in this country and in the US.

the middle class is being squeezed because manufacturing jobs are done more cheaply over seas than locally. 

I understand MTSC was a much cheaper funding model but the point is that, assuming the public investment doesnt get out of hand, I see no problem with the government investing in these projects.

Also, when the Jets left town, Winnipeg was essentially a black hole.  Not saying the Jets leaving caused it but the 90's sucked in Winnipeg.  The Jets left because there was no building and no owner.

Realistically, just a quick glance at the Calgary proposal, I think the Flames should be paying a lot more.  They have a billionaire owner.  And its not just the sports buildings, but the fact that this will be a residential and commercial development.  I presume the Flames' owners will be the developers.  They stand to reap hundreds of millions of dollars in profit over the years.  I think the government can invest but private development should be the main contributor to their own developments.

When the Jets were here, the city was a black hole for much of the 80s and 90s.  In the early 2000s, the city and province began growing again primarily due to the provincial nominee program.  Jets did not create some sort of economic boom when they came back though some like to spin that narrative.

Correct.  However, the success of the Jets downtown has caused increased development in the area by the owners of the team.

August 18, 2015

That's what I said...the video that bearpants put up...can't you read?!?!

*cough*...runs away.

That's okay, I'll take the credit. I'm a credit *****. 

In 2012, I was in Monterey,CA & went into a store owned by a retired former US Air Force officer. He saw my Jets jersey i was wearing & was so impressed with the logo honouring the RCAF as he'd never seen it before. He said that he'd follow the Jets & was a fan from that point on.

edit (voodoochylde): removed verbiage of .. questionable taste.

In 2012, I was in Monterey,CA & went into a store owned by a retired former US Air Force officer. He saw my Jets jersey i was wearing & was so impressed with the logo honouring the RCAF as he'd never seen it before. He said that he'd follow the Jets & was a fan from that point on.

edit (voodoochylde): removed verbiage of .. questionable taste.

Did a cruise out of Miami last year.  During the stop in Key West I got props for my Jets hat from the guy running the trolley into town.  He was former military and had worked with our Armed Forces.  Nice feeling, but that Great Wall/Bucks story is still ridiculous.