If I were Wade miller I would...

No. I'm not saying that 8 teams every year hire the wrong guy.

You wanted more of Burke or PLAP or Kelly or Daley or Hoffman or Reinbold? I guess you have a stronger stomach for losing than I do.

But the other 4 teams didn't win the Cup...so they failed..right?

What about two years, not winning the cup? Firing offence?

And, if you'll notice I did say wrong guy - Burke and LaPo - too soon fired.

Those are the only two I mentioned.

They are, at least, in the recent past.

Nope, the other 4 teams didn't fail. They just didn't win it all. You argument that everyone who doesn't win the Grey Cup are the same is dumb even for you. I'm talking about not making the playoffs and losing more games than you win. Both are hallmarks of bad coaching, bad players or a combo of both.

No, your talking about hiring inexperienced coaches, when in reality, all teams do it. And if you're talking about dumb things to say, how about what you said about the Bombers hiring the wrong coaches every couple of years? Show me the book where they list the good and bad coaches, because you seem to have the only copy.

We've had almost no success hiring inexperienced coaches since '97. That's the point, not what other teams have done. What we've done. If we'd hired a few good rookie coaches, then I'd probably have a different opinion, but as I've pointed out over and over, we haven't hired the right rookie HC's.

Hire the right coaches and they'll stick around longer assuming they want to and assuming you don't have a GM who wants to bring in his friend instead.

Book of good and bad coaches?  :D Yah, that doesn't exist although you could make a pretty good book of bad rookie coaches that the Bombers have hired.

We've had almost no success hiring inexperienced coaches since '97. That's the point, not what other teams have done. What we've done. If we'd hired a few good rookie coaches, then I'd probably have a different opinion, but as I've pointed out over and over, we haven't hired the right rookie HC's.

Hire the right coaches and they'll stick around longer assuming they want to and assuming you don't have a GM who wants to bring in his friend instead.

Book of good and bad coaches? :D Yah, that doesn't exist although you could make a pretty good book of bad rookie coaches that the Bombers have hired.

Yes, we've had a bad run of hiring coaches, no doubt.

But you simply can't say - "hire the right coaches", there is no such magic concoction...unless it's a fairy tale book.

Book of good and bad coaches? :D Yah, that doesn't exist although you could make a pretty good book of bad rookie coaches that the Bombers have hired.

But you simply can't say - "hire the right coaches", there is no such magic concoction...unless it's a fairy tale book.

One person. Dave Ritchie. Sigh...how I miss him.

He was like the magic coach.

To be fair, in Dave Ritchie's first 2 season's here he went 6-12 then 7-11.  MOS went 7-11 season 1 so that's pretty good considering.  If he increases that this year or even ties it, since our QB1 went down, we'll know he did better.  As long as he's improving, I'll stand behind him as HC.  Unfortunately because Willy is out, it's hard to judge the rest of the season based on win/loss.

We haven't just had a run of bad luck for 15+ years. We chose rookie coaches who we hoped would become good coaches. We fired coaches during the season when good coaches have jobs and replaced them with more rookie coaches. That's a systemic problem. My solution is to hire coaches who already know what they're doing, who have a history of winning and not to replace HC's during the season so you have your choice of the best coaches.

To be fair, in Dave Ritchie's first 2 season's here he went 6-12 then 7-11. MOS went 7-11 season 1 so that's pretty good considering. If he increases that this year or even ties it, since our QB1 went down, we'll know he did better. As long as he's improving, I'll stand behind him as HC. Unfortunately because Willy is out, it's hard to judge the rest of the season based on win/loss.

Agree with this 100%!

We haven't just had a run of bad luck for 15+ years. We chose rookie coaches who we hoped would become good coaches. We fired coaches during the season when good coaches have jobs and replaced them with more rookie coaches. That's a systemic problem. My solution is to hire coaches who already know what they're doing, who have a history of winning and not to replace HC's during the season so you have your choice of the best coaches.

The list of coaches who are proven and without jobs is limited to people who are retired or too old to do the job. That's why everyone is promoting coordinators. The real problem in Winnipeg is that they jumped the gun firing Ritchie, Berry and Lapo (even though I was never sold on Lapo) and replaced them mid season with worse options and never even tried to find better candidates once the offseason rolled around. (though in Berrys case they just hired the biggest fool going to replace him in the offseason) 

It's a lack of patience with the guys they do hire and then replacing them with worse options that is the problem. That is why we need to give this current group a good long run in charge. The roster wasn't great when they took over and it's not up to par yet either. Walters needs to get enough talent on this team before we get too critical of the coaches. 

But how can you assess talent properly if the coaching is sub-par? I'm not saying that as a blanket indictment of the whole current  regime, but its got to be difficult to figure out where one leaves off and the other begins.

I don't believe the coaching is sub par. I think we lack talent at canadian positions and along both lines and that makes whatever the coaches are doing largely irrelevant. Gotta be able to win the battles on the lines consistently in order to make the game plan work. Coaching to me is more about the final step of a championship team, I don't see this roster as being good enough yet to realistically compete for a championship outside of the "on any given sunday" idea. 

Just out of curiosity... How do you actually assess the coaches? What thoughts is that based on? A guy taking a dumb penalty? An odd play call? How do you actually assess the coaches sitting in the stands or in front of the TV...I mean, i'm not a football coach, i have no idea really... Just curious how people can be so sure the coaches are so awful when really, unless you are once again in the room or on the sidelines, you really don't know do you? 

I think OShea is a good coach because the players play for him. No one played for Burke which is what made him a terrible head coach, but OShea is the kind of guy that players like because he treats them with respect and he's got their backs in public. As for the coordinators, Hall isn't my ideal defensive coordinator but he does have a good track record in the CFL, Bellefool too has a track record and it's consistent. Not terrible but not great, average at best. It's not ideal but again, average isn't the same as straight up bad. 

I have no idea how good the special teams coaching is, but I do know that a lot of the issues on special teams have really been errors on the part of players. 

So really the coaching staff may not be the best, but I don't think they are the major problem on this team right now. Too many places that need talent upgrades before we really pin point the coaches as holding the team back.