Well what can you say?

bb1

People keep complaining about Picard & want to see Goosen. Even with all the injuries on the OL he doesn't get playing time. Sukh Chung has played every down this year & he's a rookie. Goosen has been here nearly 2 seasons now & can't start. Nah, keep him on the bench as he's not ready.

People keep complaining about Picard & want to see Goosen. Even with all the injuries on the OL he doesn't get playing time. Sukh Chung has played every down this year & he's a rookie. Goosen has been here nearly 2 seasons now & can't start. Nah, keep him on the bench as he's not ready.

The fact that the Bombers signed Picard should tell you all you need to know. They obviously don't think Goosen can do the job yet (ever??) or they wouldn't have spent the money on a vet.

The fact that the Bombers signed Picard should tell you all you need to know. They obviously don't think Goosen can do the job yet (ever??) or they wouldn't have spent the money on a vet.
Yeah but this is the same coaching staff that has let Brohm stay as backup for over a year when clearly Marve is a better player so don't give up on Goosen yet.

marve was decent, not good or great.  Pretty suspect on anything intermediate or long.  Maybe he improves on that, maybe he doesn't.  Some Qbs just never develop the ability to throw accurately on anything outside of short passes.

Bombers never advanced past the 42 yard line of the Argos in the 2nd half and the Argos defense seemed to have Marve figured out, especially on that last Bomber offensive play. Even Irving mentioned this.  

Marve never appeared to look past his first read though tough to tell when you are not at the game.  VERY conservative play-calling as well.  Could not believe the number of short passes - is that on Marcel or on Marve who would not look past his first read?

Marve looked past his first read a ton, I mean about 70% of his completed passes were scrambles.  He struggles in the pocket, and that's what your seeing with the wobblers and bad accuracy.  He needs to settle his lower body down when he throws in the pocket, on any throw he makes where he's not on the run.  He's got a really frantic passing motion but it's entirely from his lower half, he's got a real nice arm action.  Accuracy/time it takes to get there sucks because he's taking himself away from his target with the lower body movement when he should be finishing towards the target ideally.  We can do without the chuck and duck bomb tosses and throws across his body on the run though.  The sandlot stuff is good for a couple of exciting plays a game, but really not going to get anything done consistently.

Also looked like Marve had a pretty bad bump/bruise/nick on his throwing hand for a good chunk of the 2nd half.

All that said, the difference in the game was again a big special teams breakdown on a horribly placed punt by Hajrullahu.

And since we have no first round pick next spring we'll be spending even more money on OL free agents in the future.

And since we have no first round pick next spring we'll be spending even more money on OL free agents in the future.

There's no OL after the first round?  Seems to me there was a guy snapping for the New York Giants today who went in the 3rd round a few years back.

Short passes is the smart decision to make with a rookie qb...

Considering Brohm is the seasoned NFL vet and has more CFL time.... it's pretty sad that Marve shows more with much less credentials.   Brohm will definitely be gone this off season...

How come the bombers get roughing the passer penalties called against them, but the opposition can consistently hit our qb and it doesn't get called? I scratch my head sometimes at the refs...

saw two late hits by toronto , no call ref right there. hard to figure cause we sure get called on anything.

marve was decent, not good or great.  Pretty suspect on anything intermediate or long.  Maybe he improves on that, maybe he doesn't.  Some Qbs just never develop the ability to throw accurately on anything outside of short passes.

Bombers never advanced past the 42 yard line of the Argos in the 2nd half and the Argos defense seemed to have Marve figured out, especially on that last Bomber offensive play. Even Irving mentioned this.  

Marve never appeared to look past his first read though tough to tell when you are not at the game.  VERY conservative play-calling as well.  Could not believe the number of short passes - is that on Marcel or on Marve who would not look past his first read?

Marve looked past his first read a ton, I mean about 70% of his completed passes were scrambles.  He struggles in the pocket, and that's what your seeing with the wobblers and bad accuracy.  He needs to settle his lower body down when he throws in the pocket, on any throw he makes where he's not on the run.  He's got a really frantic passing motion but it's entirely from his lower half, he's got a real nice arm action.  Accuracy/time it takes to get there sucks because he's taking himself away from his target with the lower body movement when he should be finishing towards the target ideally.  We can do without the chuck and duck bomb tosses and throws across his body on the run though.  The sandlot stuff is good for a couple of exciting plays a game, but really not going to get anything done consistently.

Also looked like Marve had a pretty bad bump/bruise/nick on his throwing hand for a good chunk of the 2nd half.

All that said, the difference in the game was again a big special teams breakdown on a horribly placed punt by Hajrullahu.

They showed him walking off the field on TV when it happened, he couldn't straighten his index finger out. 

Picard's snaps are rainbows that barely reach the QB. Defenses are getting into the backfield at the same time the ball is getting to our QB. Like wholly crap man, do something about it!!!!

I was really noticing that yesterday. People have mentioned it before but I never really paid attention to it, but it seemed really obvious to me whenever the offense moved in front of my seats.

What can you say? 

Marve looked pretty good for his first pro start.  However, that strong arm that we all talked about seemed to go a little limp last night.  He didn't seem to get his feet set before many of his throws. 

Is it just me or does anyone else breathe a sigh of relief every time he  gets up after one of his scampers?   His history of knee surgeries scares the crap out of me.   

I liked the play of the dline last night.  Sure Kackert had some success but the guys a bowling ball. 

Khalil Bass shows spurts of greatness but he also at times is out of position.  That  can be fixed with more experience and film. 

I'm not going to dump on Kohlert for the fumble.  The guy is one of our most dependable receivers and it happens to the best of them. 

Will the real Troy Stoudemire please stand up.  That guy on the field this year can't be the same player.  His speed seems to have disappeared and I don't know if he needs glasses or something but his vision of the field seems to have disappeared as well.  It's time  to give Veltung some reps and see who deserves the fulltime returner job.   

MB called a pretty good game last night and the last play was just a good defensive play by the Argos.

The contacting the kicker call was absolute BS and the missed holding call on the same play was inexcusable.

I'm  not sure Marve can be a long term solution but he does give us an opportunity to win.  But I'd also like to see Davis get some reps over the next couple of months while Willy's out. Most other teams have a set of plays for their back up QB's and give them a few plays during the game.     

It was actually a pretty entertaining game but we squandered opportunities to expand our lead and I knew that our lead wouldn't hold up in the 4th quarter. 

Punt return and turnovers killed us. Marve showed a lot of promise bit he's still got some things to learn. Thought MB called a better game. Wish he would have called screens when Willy was starting.

How do you know he doesn't? Maybe Willy doesn't do the check down to them. Maybe he changes the play slightly. I agree though - they gotta be more creative for pressure packages as when a defense brings more than the players left in to block, there are at least TWO open players on that play right at the start - and the QB's job is to find them. Cavillo could - Khari Jones could - that's the best way to protect against the blitz. Burn it a few times and the defense has to change their tactics or get blown out

Punt return and turnovers killed us. Marve showed a lot of promise bit he's still got some things to learn. Thought MB called a better game. Wish he would have called screens when Willy was starting.

How do you know he doesn't? Maybe Willy doesn't do the check down to them. Maybe he changes the play slightly. I agree though - they gotta be more creative for pressure packages as when a defense brings more than the players left in to block, there are at least TWO open players on that play right at the start - and the QB's job is to find them. Cavillo could - Khari Jones could - that's the best way to protect against the blitz. Burn it a few times and the defense has to change their tactics or get blown out

How do you check down to a screen?  That's an extremely set play because of the blocking required.  If Willy wasn't throwing called screens it would be very noticeable.

You're describing hot routes, and no doubt they have them called, it's a silent communication between QB and receiver to read the blitz and know where the ball is going.  Problem in a lot of games for this team is that the QB doesn't even have time to throw those because by the time he gets the ball there's a defender in his face.  I've never seen anything quite like it even last season.  I think Picard's crappy snaps have made our OL even worse along with the fact he couldn't block a fifth grader.

How do you check down to a screen?  That's an extremely set play because of the blocking required.  If Willy wasn't throwing called screens it would be very noticeable.

You're describing hot routes, and no doubt they have them called, it's a silent communication between QB and receiver to read the blitz and know where the ball is going.  Problem in a lot of games for this team is that the QB doesn't even have time to throw those because by the time he gets the ball there's a defender in his face.  I've never seen anything quite like it even last season.  I think Picard's crappy snaps have made our OL even worse along with the fact he couldn't block a fifth grader.

Good point JB - though there was a screen pass yesterday (a few actually) that worked quite well. Maybe it's Cotton who can't get away quick enough? All and all I thought it was a good game and it was a lot like the Jets vs the Ducks - i.e. we got beat by a better team.

I'm still living in a bit of reality here. Yes, it's the CFL but two years ago this franchise was, IMO, the worst run pro franchise in all of sports. Even worse than the Edmonton Oilers (and that's saying a lot). I don't expect them to be Grey Cup contenders this year. I just expect them to 'challenge' (not make) for a playoff spot this year. Hopefully we're still playing for the playoffs in weeks 18, 19, and 20. That IMO would be a successful season. 

We lost our #1 QB (like four other teams including our opponent last night) and we competed. Last week we had our #1 QB and were blown out badly. That's our team, not our QB. But we are getting better and I'm happy for that. I know most here want to 'fire' the coaches again but coaches don't play. If we had an allstar team and these results - I'd agree. We don't, and we're rebuilding. We are where the Edmonton Eskimos were a couple years ago now. Two years later - look at the Eskimo's now. Hopefully we'll keep on this path. :)

How bad is Gossen that he can't get in? Is it time for them to consider going 3 Int on the OL?

Yes, and bring in an American interior guy, don't play a tackle at guard as we have anytime we've went to 3 imports on the OL.  I don't know how they can keep running Greaves/Neufeld and Picard out there.  Starting QB knocked out of 3 games already.  A good game for them is having the QB rocked in the pocket only a half-dozen times.

Looked to me like Marve was more effective in the first half and seemed to be calling some of his plays or at least having more of a back and forth with MB between plays...  seemed like he got a 'talking to' at half time and tried to be more of a pocket passer in the second half - didn't work.

Looked to me like Marve was more effective in the first half and seemed to be calling some of his plays or at least having more of a back and forth with MB between plays...  seemed like he got a 'talking to' at half time and tried to be more of a pocket passer in the second half - didn't work.

Bellefeuille probably ordered Marve to stay in the pocket in the second half, and it did affect his play. Our defence played better in the second half but the offence compensated for that by playing worse. Still, had Brohm been in there, it would have been a worse beating than we got against Edmonton.

Rookie QB with no prep time cost us tonight, I thought. You could really see the inexperience in Marve. I don't blame the guy...but he is what he is. Made a lotta "rookie" decisions tonight that, I thought, really cost us. I'm a big believer that we don't give up the kick return TD if he doesn't take the 20 yard sack....shoulda thrown it away, punting from farther down, and I don't think the ball comes back.

The reason for the inexperience is due to the fact the HC wasted the last seven weeks using a has been hobo to take second reps. Marve comes in as a rookie with not much chemistry with the guys he has to work with. I'm not too sure what O'Shea meant when talking of Marve being outside the system but let's just hope Brohm is done here.