Week 8 Edm.@Mtl. BC@Ham. Ott.@Cgy.

Mr Dee

If he wasn't openly gay, there'd be no story at all. He'd just be another guy that couldn't make the jump from college to the pros. He'd have been cut when he left the Als the first time around and that would be it. If you want equality, which I do, then judge the man simply on how he can play football.

Geeze, either play football or don't play football. Can't keep taking leave over and over again.

I doubt Montreal takes him back.

EDIT: He cites mental health as a reason for leaving. Could be more serious than we think.

Or it could be an excuse that he can't play at the CFL level. 

This is true.

Either way, he no longer belongs on the team. He has proven to be unreliable and not strong enough to play professionally.

I also believe in equality, but if he can't play football, he can't play football.

If he wasn't openly gay, there'd be no story at all. He'd just be another guy that couldn't make the jump from college to the pros. He'd have been cut when he left the Als the first time around and that would be it. If you want equality, which I do, then judge the man simply on how he can play football.

Yep I doubt he's the only football player to have a relationship fall apart and be distressed about it. 

The issue with this whole thing was making it a long-running reality show.  I lost a lot of respect for Sam when he took that route of actively seeking media attention instead of just going about his business and more or less dealing with the media crap as it came up.  Like for instance having a press conference in Montreal when he signed.  When is the last time an import who has never played a down in the CFL or NFL for that matter had a press conference to announce their signing?  If I'm Sam I'm telling Jim Popp and whoever else to handle my signing how you would any other.  It's clear that Sam saw $$$ in things like that.  I hope he saved up some money at least, but it was pretty clear from the time of his NFL Draft that he was on the path of media exploitation.  He was always a marginal player on either side of the border, I don't think he needed the added media pressure, and I think he could have avoided quite a bit of it.

We can blame the Montreal organization for this one. Sam has been shown to be a mediocre football player and yet he gets the invitation up to Montreal because, well, he is just a mediocre football player. Bad advice, the first time he was here and shame on Popp for bringing him back. That was asinine and self-serving.

Sam ought to have been a perfect rush end in the CFL and he didn't earn his first-round status by accident. I doubt if anyone could be good at his/her job when their valued relationship/marriage is falling apart but Sam's stock has probably fallen so low that getting another training camp invite next year is unlikely even in this league.

Sam ought to have been a perfect rush end in the CFL and he didn't earn his first-round status by accident. I doubt if anyone could be good at his/her job when their valued relationship/marriage is falling apart but Sam's stock has probably fallen so low that getting another training camp invite next year is unlikely even in this league.

What do you mean by first round status, he was drafted in the 7th round 249 over-all. To slow to be a rush end and no cover abilities to be a linebacker. He was the classic definition of hype and in the end i hope he has something to fall back on from college. 

He had a serious look in the NFL....for publicity ? Not likely. He had demonstrated he could play at a high level in the NCAA. He was a tweener down there and was a tweener here. He didn't all of a sudden become a dog.

It seems pretty clear that he's not focused on football.  You become a dog pretty quick when you aren't working as hard as the rest of the people competing for spots on pro teams.  He was brutal in the NFL vet combine and when they kept showing him during pre-game in Ottawa I was wondering if he was going to put on a sports bra.  Doesn't look to be in good shape at all.

The kid was publicity stunt.. Thats it. He was not in game shape, his head was not on right to be trying to make a push to make a roster on a professional football team..

Like mentioned earlier.. If he wasnt the first openly gay player, i doubt he even gets drafted..

What do you mean by first round status, he was drafted in the 7th round 249 over-all. To slow to be a rush end and no cover abilities to be a linebacker. He was the classic definition of hype and in the end i hope he has something to fall back on from college. 

My bad- i thought he was drafed much higher.

Explain the logic of bringing him in for publicity when clearly all he has ever been wherever he was is a distraction? I guess you think that the NFL hired a female official for publicity too?

The thing is, Sam was never fit for professional football, so none of the teams would have any reason but the fact that he's gay to draft him. Really no offence to him, but I believe it was the only reason he was given so many chances. Any other player either wouldn't be drafted and even if they were, they'd be cut at the first sign of bailing out like Sam.

Well with that logic we can only hope that Ms. Bruce Jenner doesn't want to try his luck at pro football. Just for the publicity it brings a team.

You do realize there is no such thing as bad press or publicity to some people,right?

Just so they can say "we had the starting Canadian qb!" Or "we are the ones who gave the kid his chance!"