paris cotton vs cam marshall

wbbfan

Some thing ive been thinking about since week 1, thought id throw it out there. It seems to me that cam marshalls' game is much more suited to being the no1 back for us. His ability to bang through contact and push the pile really needs more touches to be effective. A change of pace back is generally more of a quick/agile guy as its easier to come in and scoot around people in less touches then to try and establish physicality in few touches.

The I think itd be better for the OL, getting to pound defenders instead of trying to keep and eye out and be ready to disengage to slide to a new guy/spot that needs blocking. We'd wear down defences more by hitting them instead of getting hit.

Just a thought i wanted to see if any one had an opinion on. Its no knock on cotton, hes very talented. And id love to see more use of both guys in the back field at the same time as cotton is a much better reciever out of the back field.

I know mike sellers and charles roberts wasnt run this way. But blink was head and shoulders more talented and dangerous then mike was, and i dont think cotton has near that kind of edge if any over marshall. 

since we run 8 Canadians anyway, I would like to see a lot more of the offence morph into the two import back set, and removing one of the Canadian receivers as really, they serve no real purpose out there other than filling a spot.

Couldn't key on a back on running plays, can send one, or both out of the backfield for designed plays, as well as an outlet if need be. Marshall is great too coming out of the backfield as a receiver, and lining up ala Drurie kind of all over the field.

Why we don't utilize both is beyond me, especially when we don't have to have two Canadian receivers on field at all times. Baffles me 

I've seen little commitment to the running game from Marcel except in the first game.  The promised "thunder and lightening" has not materialized so far and the two talented RB's they have are being minimized more with each passing game.  I would like to see both backs on the field together more often even if they use Marshall more in a blocking capacity, at least the illusion that he might run the ball is there for the D to think about.

since we run 8 Canadians anyway, I would like to see a lot more of the offence morph into the two import back set, and removing one of the Canadian receivers as really, they serve no real purpose out there other than filling a spot.

Couldn't key on a back on running plays, can send one, or both out of the backfield for designed plays, as well as an outlet if need be. Marshall is great too coming out of the backfield as a receiver, and lining up ala Drurie kind of all over the field.

Why we don't utilize both is beyond me, especially when we don't have to have two Canadian receivers on field at all times. Baffles me 

I don't think Bellefool has the imagination to run an offence like that. 

Well, Honestly, the backs can't do much when it's obvious they will be running the ball. There is no imagination at all with the OC in terms of the running game. It's  1000 percent obvious when we are going to run the ball and when we won't. 

I don't think Bellefool has the imagination to run an offence like that. 

He did in Hamilton.  Remember Marcus Thigpen?  Can't remember if it was 2009 or 2010 but Hamilton basically won a game against us because our defense had no answer for Thigpen and I think Cobourne, maybe Cobb, in split backs both running and passing.

Some thing ive been thinking about since week 1, thought id throw it out there. It seems to me that cam marshalls' game is much more suited to being the no1 back for us. His ability to bang through contact and push the pile really needs more touches to be effective. A change of pace back is generally more of a quick/agile guy as its easier to come in and scoot around people in less touches then to try and establish physicality in few touches.

The I think itd be better for the OL, getting to pound defenders instead of trying to keep and eye out and be ready to disengage to slide to a new guy/spot that needs blocking. We'd wear down defences more by hitting them instead of getting hit.

Just a thought i wanted to see if any one had an opinion on. Its no knock on cotton, hes very talented. And id love to see more use of both guys in the back field at the same time as cotton is a much better reciever out of the back field.

I know mike sellers and charles roberts wasnt run this way. But blink was head and shoulders more talented and dangerous then mike was, and i dont think cotton has near that kind of edge if any over marshall. 

I agree that Marshall is more of a number 1 and Cotton would be the change of pace, I thought in the EDM game one of the reasons the game turned on us he we stopped running Marshall in the second half until the game was out of reach ?

Coming into last week Cotton averaging 5.8 a carry and Marshall was 3.2 yards a carry.

Yes, but of the few carries he had till last game, a lot were from the 3 yard line and in either for short yardage td's or on a 2 point convert...inside the 5 this year he has been pretty much money

Coming into last week Cotton averaging 5.8 a carry and Marshall was 3.2 yards a carry.

I think this is mainly because a power back needs to bang away to continue getting yards and wear down a D. A scat back can make as good a play late and they can early. But a power back will get stronger with each carry.

Didnt marcel design and call the plays on the offense sask had when they ran both corey holmes and kenton kieth? That offense was creative and dynamic and made great use of 2 talented backs. 

Here's my thoughts on this.. we ran the ball a combined 13 times last game, why dress 2 rb's if you aren't gonna use them, i mean really, heavy heavy heavy rainfall and we only run the ball 13 times? MB should be sent out back and shot. seriously... that's just stupidity at it's finest.

while i do agree with you.. bell didnt blow our doors off in the first half either..

I could be wrong on this as I'm far from a football genius, but from what I've seen if we're up against a stronger D line where we aren't opening up as many holes I'd prefer to see the run game focus on Marshall and pounding for yardage. Against a weaker D line or a game where our O line is opening up some holes I'd prefer to see it tend more towards Cotton who is more likely to make a linebacker or DB miss one or one after getting through the line.

Basically call the plays based on what we're being given on the field and making adjustments to it, which isn't really a very Blue Bombers thing to do.

Here's my thoughts on this.. we ran the ball a combined 13 times last game, why dress 2 rb's if you aren't gonna use them, i mean really, heavy heavy heavy rainfall and we only run the ball 13 times? MB should be sent out back and shot. seriously... that's just stupidity at it's finest. 

This is why I can't stand MB.  It's raining out, and instead of using his RB's, he's got Willy and Brohm tossing the ball around slipping through the receivers fingers.  It blows my mind.