Attendance

6pm is tight for a lot of people but honestly, it's the blowout against Hamilton which hurt more.

The team doesn't have a lot of good will built up amongst casual fans .. so if it's a choice between spending hard earned entertainment dollars on a patio on a hot summer night, heading off to the lake, watching from home .. OR watching a consistently inconsistent team maybe possibly pull out a win in person .. it's not much of a choice (for the casual fan).

Only 27,000 in Calgary tonight. Think BC only had 23,000 on Friday.

Keep in mind it is a Monday game for Calgary and it stormed like hell in parts of Calgary all afternoon and there was a chance of it storming again in the evening (even though it turned out nice) so it's not surprising there was a smaller turnout.

One thing we noticed with the early start time was people eating a lot more.  Now I dont attend a lot of games so this is what other people were telling me.  Long lines and a run on hot dogs at one point.  I assume people coming to the game after work and not having time to eat beforehand.  Good idea!

Would Thursday night games work better during July/August and then Saturday/Sunday after September long?

One thing we noticed with the early start time was people eating a lot more.  Now I dont attend a lot of games so this is what other people were telling me.  Long lines and a run on hot dogs at one point.  I assume people coming to the game after work and not having time to eat beforehand.  Good idea!

Would Thursday night games work better during July/August and then Saturday/Sunday after September long?

I think a later start time is all that's needed .. speaking as a guy with a family .. it's hard to make it home from work, get the kids .. get ready to roll and then make the stadium for a 6pm game .. and I live close by.  If the team was doing well .. and the stadium was selling out (increasing traffic) .. I can only imagine it being that much harder to make kick off.

I'm not a fan of any early weeknight or non-weekend games at IGF.  It takes too long to get in and out.  A 6 PM Friday start and you're turning a lot of people off, especially when you consider how much energy they are putting into trying to be Manitoba's team now.  On the other hand, a 7:30 Thursday game turns a lot of people off once they realize that they'll be getting home at midnight and have to wake up at 5 or 6 the next day, not very family friendly either.  Winning can solve these issues, but better scheduling can help too.

I'm not a fan of any early weeknight or non-weekend games at IGF.  It takes too long to get in and out.  A 6 PM Friday start and you're turning a lot of people off, especially when you consider how much energy they are putting into trying to be Manitoba's team now.  On the other hand, a 7:30 Thursday game turns a lot of people off once they realize that they'll be getting home at midnight and have to wake up at 5 or 6 the next day, not very family friendly either.  Winning can solve these issues, but better scheduling can help too.

I generally find that doing events on a Thursday night dont run into the issue of needing to get home to bed.  People are more willing to go out late on a Thursday and deal with being tired the next day because it's Friday and they likely intend to have lower productivity anyway...and can go home and enjoy the weekend.

I think it's a combo of several things.. it's never just one really..

I think the 6pm start time played a role... big time.. i think folk fest played a role, big time... i think it being plus 42 with the humidity played a role and i think people going to the lake on friday played a role (hottest weekend of the summer so far by far).. i also think last weeks loss played a role but... i would suggest it might have played a lesser role than the other things i mentioned did, i think folk fest and the 6pm start and the hottest week-end of the summer were the main reasons. People under estimating how many "young people' actually go to folk fest it seems. 

To ignore folk fest is silly... it's like ignoring dauphin country fest when it happens too.. it makes a huge impact for sure. More than people realize.. people can pretend to hate country music all they want but... thousands upon thousands upon thousands going to country fest every year says lots don't hate it and thousands upon thousands heading out to folk fest plays a role too. 

I guess, it's like this... country fest and folk fest only happen once per year... there are 9 bomber home games, if you miss one, who cares really cuz theres 8 more you can go too.

I don't go to folk fest but in the past, when i had season tix for the bombers, i did go to country fest once or twice and yup the bombers game.. i was like oh well, theres always next week. 

Keep in mind it is a Monday game for Calgary and it stormed like hell in parts of Calgary all afternoon and there was a chance of it storming again in the evening (even though it turned out nice) so it's not surprising there was a smaller turnout.

Also --- it was the first day right after the calgary stampede ended. Historically there are two types of people in calgary. Those who stay in town for stampede and those who say screw this and plan vacations around stampede. It starts about a week before stampede and goes for a good week or two after --- lots of people pack up the rv's and leave town. 

Monday night game in calgary is also a no brainer for lack of attendance. We did have crappy weather that can turn in a dime --- I work not far from Mcmahon and we had nasty rain all afternoon then cleared up around 4pm. 

Either way --- traffic has been light all week telling you a ton of people simply are out of town. 

Toronto has attendance? LOL. They haven't had fans attending games since ... oh... 2007

Also --- it was the first day right after the calgary stampede ended. Historically there are two types of people in calgary. Those who stay in town for stampede and those who say screw this and plan vacations around stampede. It starts about a week before stampede and goes for a good week or two after --- lots of people pack up the rv's and leave town. 

Monday night game in calgary is also a no brainer for lack of attendance. We did have crappy weather that can turn in a dime --- I work not far from Mcmahon and we had nasty rain all afternoon then cleared up around 4pm. 

Either way --- traffic has been light all week telling you a ton of people simply are out of town. 

Toronto has attendance? LOL. They haven't had fans attending games since ... oh... 2007

In 2012 the averaged over 23000.

In 2012 the averaged over 23000.

For a city/drawing area of over 6 million?  That's pretty impressive.

I won't go to a weekday game at 6 because it's too hard to make it on time and have a nice 3 course supper first and be able to watch the entire warm-ups.

I won't go to a weekday game that starts anytime after 7:00 because then I get home too late to get my required 8 hours of beauty rest.

Nor will I go to ANY game on Saturday between June 1st - September 15th because I am either at the cottage, camping, at Folk Fest, Countryfest, mowing the lawn, or attending the Winnipeg Jets' Stanley Cup Parade.

Sunday evening is out because I'm either still at the lake or getting my rest for work the next day.

Sunday afternoon might work, until the NFL season starts then that's out too.

So it's simple really: all the games should be Sunday afternoon until the NFL season starts. Then take a few (?) weeks off completely and then have all the games Saturday. 

And also, we're going to need a Stadium in every neighbourhood of the city and maybe one in Brandon and Steinbach, all with the same game being played simultaneously on all of them so no one has to worry about long travel times and traffic getting there.

Why can't the dumb CFL get this right??