Bomber injury updates

Gordon and Collins could play? I like it.

You think they would activate Gordon? I think Veltung might make more sense if Adams can't play this week.

I don't know why Veltung would make more sense to some folks, Veltung was hardly a consideration at receiver throughout camp and likely wouldn't even be on the roster if not for the fact Stoudermire AND Carlos Anderson both got hurt - meanwhile, Gordon ran with the 1s and 2s almost all camp.

Maybe Veltung is a better game performer than practice performer, that definitely does happen with guys now and then, but Gordon still looked impressive and if he and Willy can get some chemistry, he could be dangerous.

I think Veltung has made the most of his chances and has done a pretty good job as a returner and receiver. Maybe he continues to get better given more opportunity . He is definitely what you'd call a skilled player. Speed, quickness, seems to be able to catch the ball. Gordon hasn't really proved much except for how to piss Willy off running the wrong route ;)

Agreed, Veltung has earned his chance, best not rock the boat by giving the opportunity to Gordon over him.  Hopefully Adams injury is legitimate and they're not just shuffling the deck after 3 games, he's a solid receiver and it's up to Willy to throw the ball in his direction.   Poor red-zone production could be a factor in keying on only 2 receivers.

Goossen played all three positions on the OL in college and Neufeld can play centre.

Have you ever seen him take reps there?  I know it was suggested by a few people (myself being one) that a move to centre would probably be the best career move/way for the team to use him offseason, but I've never seen him there.

I thought Greaves was taking reps at C in camp too?

So does anybody know if we actually did use our exemption on Neufeld? If we can take as many guys off the list as we want and choose which guy to exempt, does it make sense to do it for him when he was only on it for one game?

This is why I assumed that they used the exemption for Stoudermire. I would assume he makes more in 3 games than Neufeld would have for one.

On the CJOB Coach's show, O'Shea said Neufeld has a chance of being on this week's roster, and Stoudermire is very close to returning, but will only be getting cleared to practice this week so could be a couple weeks away still.

Turner and Adams (Darvin) injured apparently.

So this week we're just taking the word of the coach and players and doctors about which players are injured?  Just accepting their version of "the truth"?

Adams was dead on the field.  Dead.  Doug Brown saw it.  He sits further away from the field than I do, but he knows what happened.  If you don't believe they used a defibrillator on Adams to bring him back from the dead, Doug Brown has a bridge to sell you. The only reason they haven't said he was dead is because he was.  His eyes were open, just like a dead person.  He got hit in the chest.  That's where the heart is.  You can't get hit in the heart and not be dead.

It's like none of you care about the players.  If the coach allows Stoudamire to ever play football again, he's a monster.  You all are a bunch of monsters.

I didn't think he was dead until I saw it on TV. I have seen enough movies to be qualified to assess a dead man when I see one. There are hundreds, maybe even thousands, of doctors who will tell you that once you are dead you shouldn't play football anymore. When Paul Friesen writes this article about it later this week there will be a lot of todasos being handed out around here. I just can't believe that the training staff would ever allow a dead man to play again. His eyes were open....open for god's sakes and he was laying down. If that ain't dead, I don't know what dead is.

Goossen played all three positions on the OL in college and Neufeld can play centre.

Have you ever seen him take reps there?  I know it was suggested by a few people (myself being one) that a move to centre would probably be the best career move/way for the team to use him offseason, but I've never seen him there.

If Goossen were to assume a starting guard position, and someone got hurt, would it not be possible to just move Neufeld to the guard spot, and Goose to C?  Unless of course, Goossen got hurt.  Then we see what Paddy is really made of.

Or maybe you see Veltung get more reps at receiver... Stoudemire and Veltung returning kicks would be a nice combo back there for sure. Think Veltung has shown he is a pretty good player and probably worthy of some reps as a receiver. Adams has been pretty much MIA for 3 weeks now. 

To be fair Adams has been open. Just not getting the ball. I don't understand why. In fact on one play last week he was wide open down the middle of the field. We got a first down anyway, so it did't hurt us too bad, but he was scoring if he got the ball there. I think Willy said after the game too, that he needs to get Adams more involved.

That's easy to answer (though you may not like it). Drew Willy (specifically) and CFL QB's in general. That's the way the game is played today. They have their 'favourites' and they also have their 'plays' they are comfortable with. I said it many times last year when I was screaming for Willy to be benched - he has tunnel vision and doesn't see the field well. But there a ton of CFL QBs you can paint with that brush. 

I remember Brock and Clements both being masters of 'spreading' the ball around. Brock had his fav's too for sure but usually for the deep ball. Anything short to middle he was able to find the open guy. Clements was brilliant at it. 

Willy is the new generation. They're told the play and are afraid to improvise. You watch him against the Stamps, watch how he um, ahem, 'surveys' the field. He's usually zoned in to one guy (maybe two) that's it. And with his happy feet he's too uncomfortable to scan anything more than that. Oh well....................

Gordon and Collins could play? I like it.

You think they would activate Gordon? I think Veltung might make more sense if Adams can't play this week.

I don't know why Veltung would make more sense to some folks, Veltung was hardly a consideration at receiver throughout camp and likely wouldn't even be on the roster if not for the fact Stoudermire AND Carlos Anderson both got hurt - meanwhile, Gordon ran with the 1s and 2s almost all camp.

Maybe Veltung is a better game performer than practice performer, that definitely does happen with guys now and then, but Gordon still looked impressive and if he and Willy can get some chemistry, he could be dangerous.

I think Veltung has made the most of his chances and has done a pretty good job as a returner and receiver. Maybe he continues to get better given more opportunity . He is definitely what you'd call a skilled player. Speed, quickness, seems to be able to catch the ball. Gordon hasn't really proved much except for how to piss Willy off running the wrong route ;)

Agreed, Veltung has earned his chance, best not rock the boat by giving the opportunity to Gordon over him.  Hopefully Adams injury is legitimate and they're not just shuffling the deck after 3 games, he's a solid receiver and it's up to Willy to throw the ball in his direction.   Poor red-zone production could be a factor in keying on only 2 receivers.

I really disagree with this.  There should be no "earning your chance" at WR with excellent play as a kick returner, when one of our receivers goes down with an injury.  There's an open roster spot, so why wouldn't we activate Gordon if he's deemed our next best receiver?

The only instances I would consider multi-tasking with Veltung are either A) He's the coaches #4 choice at import receiver, and in effect, the next man up; or B) It is better for the Bombers to start another import elsewhere (ie. at corner for Bucknor, instead of a 2nd CDN receiver, etc.)

Or maybe you see Veltung get more reps at receiver... Stoudemire and Veltung returning kicks would be a nice combo back there for sure. Think Veltung has shown he is a pretty good player and probably worthy of some reps as a receiver. Adams has been pretty much MIA for 3 weeks now. 

To be fair Adams has been open. Just not getting the ball. I don't understand why. In fact on one play last week he was wide open down the middle of the field. We got a first down anyway, so it did't hurt us too bad, but he was scoring if he got the ball there. I think Willy said after the game too, that he needs to get Adams more involved.

That's easy to answer (though you may not like it). Drew Willy (specifically) and CFL QB's in general. That's the way the game is played today. They have their 'favourites' and they also have their 'plays' they are comfortable with. I said it many times last year when I was screaming for Willy to be benched - he has tunnel vision and doesn't see the field well. But there a ton of CFL QBs you can paint with that brush. 

I remember Brock and Clements both being masters of 'spreading' the ball around. Brock had his fav's too for sure but usually for the deep ball. Anything short to middle he was able to find the open guy. Clements was brilliant at it. 

Willy is the new generation. They're told the play and are afraid to improvise. You watch him against the Stamps, watch how he um, ahem, 'surveys' the field. He's usually zoned in to one guy (maybe two) that's it. And with his happy feet he's too uncomfortable to scan anything more than that. Oh well....................

Can't really disagree with this too much considering the way the Offence has looked this year. Willy certainly likes Moore and Denmark. Kholert too. Nothing wrong with it, but we need to spread the ball around to be successful long term this season.

Can't really disagree with this too much considering the way the Offence has looked this year. Willy certainly likes Moore and Denmark. Kholert too. Nothing wrong with it, but we need to spread the ball around to be successful long term this season.

He used 7 receivers in the first game but things seem to change after. 

And yet .. Willy *HAS* been spreading the ball around a fair bit.

Game one:

7 different players with receptions

Game two (between Brohm and Willy)

6 different players with receptions

Game three:

6 different players with receptions

Willy is going to go where his reads take him .. based on what the defense gives him .. based on the play call ..

Sounds to me like moore and denmark are the first reads and they're good at getting open, when not theball is going to other places. Honestly apart from a few quibbles about going away from the running game too quickly I do like a lot of what the offense has been doing this year and that includes using a variety of weapons. 

If Goossen were to assume a starting guard position, and someone got hurt, would it not be possible to just move Neufeld to the guard spot, and Goose to C?  Unless of course, Goossen got hurt.  Then we see what Paddy is really made of.

Little known fact but Paddy is actually made out of icing sugar.  That's why you will never, ever see him play in the rain.

You don't pay players like Moore and Denmark the big bucks and not build an offense around getting them the ball, that's just the way it works. 

True enough, but successful offences use many players. But it's true, those guys will get the majority of work.

Ray is a master at spreading the ball around.

In an interview last year he said he can play centre and I've seen him take reps at centre in practice and training camp, but mostly on the side or during drills, not scrimmage.

I appreciate you for going to practice and sharing this knowledge with us.

I dunno... I figure Friesen will be there and offer excellent examination of what happens at practice... why would I need anyone else

In an interview last year he said he can play centre and I've seen him take reps at centre in practice and training camp, but mostly on the side or during drills, not scrimmage.

I appreciate you for going to practice and sharing this knowledge with us.

I dunno... I figure Friesen will be there and offer excellent examination of what happens at practice... why would I need anyone else

Don't forget Wiecek too.

@DarrinBauming: While a decision will be made tomorrow, Mike O'Shea says Pat Neufeld (ankle) looks ready to make his first dress of the season. #Bombers

@DarrinBauming: O'Shea says Neufeld is versatile enough to play four O-line positions, but won't say he's in a battle with Sukh Chungh at RG. #Bombers