Jets Prospects

Rich

It's not impossible, but I don't think Petan will be a Jet this year either. He's a pretty small guy. Give him a year or two in the AHL getting used to playing against men.

Lemieux isn't ready for the NHL yet. It'll probably be a few seasons before we see him.

IMO Copp & Ehlers will be the only two rookie forwards on the roster this season.

I think petan could take copps spot and also play on the 2nd power play. Lemieux is interesting cuz they signed him to a pretty big money ELC so they must think he's close. Honestly wouldn't shock me to see ehlers petan and Lemieux make it opening night at least

I don't think Petan makes the team if it is going to be on the 4th line, even if he gets power play time.  He needs playing time to develop and learn to play against the size of professional players (as opposed to junior players).   He won't get that with 4th line minutes.  He would get that with top 6 minutes on the Moose.

Lemieux I believe has one more year of junior eligibility.  I see him going back down to the Colts.

The Jets also had Copp up with the team at the end of last year (which I believe burns a year of his entry level contract?)  They did a similar thing with Trouba, and Trouba made the team the year after.   This also might have something to do with them being US college players and the Jets wanting to get them signed up early so they don't lose their rights.

Copp projects out to a 3/4th line player and it is arguably easier for those players to make the jump than the more skilled players.  

Lemieux salary won't count if  he goes back down to junior, so I wouldn't read too much into what he signed for, and his cap hit is less than 100k more than Copps.  There really isn't that much wriggle room in those entry level contracts.

Ehlers and Copp have the best chance of making the team, that's if they show what the team is looking for in the pre-season. This teams has shown in the past you have to earn your spot on the team. The only other player who would have a chance is Petan and he would have to be out of his mind crazy good during  camp, everybody else is AHL or Junior bound. Hey starting in the AHL or going back to Junior is not the end of the world.

NHL.com

WINNIPEG -- Solid scouting and player development are the two pillars on which the Winnipeg Jets are building their organization.

After inheriting a farm system bereft of talent in 2011, general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff has rebuilt the prospect base slowly and methodically.

"I don't want to see [Cheveldayoff] change the organization's draft-and-develop approach," Jets coach Paul Maurice told Jets TV on July 3. "I like the young players we've got. We're building something here."

Here is a look at the Jets' top five prospects, according to NHL.com:

1. Connor Hellebuyck, G

How acquired: 5th round (No. 130), 2012 NHL Draft

Last season: St. John's, AHL: 58 GP, 28-22-5, 2.58 GAA, .921 save percentage

Hellebuyck, 22, has risen quickly from a fifth-round draft pick who was viewed as something of a project to a potential long-term answer in goal.

With two seasons of NCAA experience, Hellebuyck (6-foot-4, 185 pounds) adapted quickly to the American Hockey League. He was the starting goaltender at the 2015 AHL All-Star Classic.

After his first pro season ended, Hellebuyck represented the United States at the World Championship and helped the U.S. team win finish third.

Hellebuyck might need one more season in the AHL to fine-tune his game, but it would not be surprising if he pushes his way into the Jets' goaltending picture this season.

Projected NHL arrival: 2016-17

2. Nikolaj Ehlers, LW

How acquired: 1st round (No. 9), 2014 NHL Draft

Last season: Halifax, QMJHL: 51 GP, 37-64-101

The Jets have been very public about their desire to not rush prospects, but they really could use Ehlers in their lineup this season to help offset the losses of several veterans.

Ehlers, 19, dominated offensively with Halifax last season and led the QMJHL in playoff scoring with 10 goals and 21 assists in 14 games.

However, in order to earn an NHL roster spot, Ehlers will need to prove he can be a dependable two-way player and responsible away from the puck.

Ehlers (6-foot, 168 pounds) will need to bulk up in order to handle the NHL. He has made adding muscle and size a priority this summer but will need time to adjust to a bigger frame.

"I can improve on everything," Ehlers said in July at Jets prospects camp. "It's going to be tough coming here and trying to get that spot on the team. I want to make the team this [season]."

Projected NHL arrival: 2015-16

3. Joshua Morrissey, D

How acquired: 1st round (No. 13), 2013 NHL Draft

Last season: Prince Albert/Kelowna, WHL: 47 GP, 13-25-38

Winnipeg has potential openings on the left side of its blue line. But in an ideal situation for the Jets, Morrissey (6-foot, 195 pounds) should be able to use his first full AHL season to adjust his puck-moving style to the pro game.

Morrissey won a gold medal with Canada at the World Junior Championship and Kelowna went to the Memorial Cup final.

"It was a whirlwind of a season," the 20-year-old said. "My conditioning is a lot better now. I'm really committed to my diet. Overall I think it was a great [season] for me."

4. Andrew Copp, C

How acquired: 4th round (No. 104), 2013 NHL Draft

Last season: Michigan: 36 GP, 14-17-31

Much like goaltending, the fourth line has been a long-time issue for the Jets. But Copp, 21, could be a solution. He appears much larger than his listed size (6-foot, 188 pounds) and is capable of playing the sort of grinding, defensively responsible style that helped another young player, Adam Lowry, earn a roster spot last season.

"I'm trying to not worry about that too much," Copp said. "I'm just doing the best I can to put myself in a position to make the team out of camp."

Projected NHL arrival: 2015-16

5. Joel Armia, RW

How acquired: Trade with Buffalo Sabres, Feb. 11, 2015

Last season: Sabres, 1 GP, 0-0-0; Rochester/St. John's, AHL: 55 GP, 12-21-33

Armia is 22 years old and has NHL-caliber size (6-foot-3, 192 pounds). After the 2013-14 season, when he scored seven goals as an AHL rookie, he had 10 goals in 33 games with Rochester before the trade. After the trade, he scored two goals in 21 games with St. John's.

Armia, who was part of the trade that sent forward Evander Kane to Buffalo, was the 16th pick in the 2011 NHL Draft.

Petan will come to camp and instantly be one of our top 3 or 4 playmaking forwards. He would be on the second power play unit right away. Tough to ignore that kind of talent.

Not sure what "learning how to play against bigger men" means. That must be a media thing. Petan has been playing against bigger players his whole life, and dominating. I'd say he's even more ready for the NHL than Ehlers.

Ehlers Scheif Wheeler

Perreault Lowry Burmi

Lemieux Petan Thorburn

No Ladd or Little or are they on the 4th line?

Put Petan on the 4th line while he learns the D side of the game. He'll be seeing lots of ti me on the 2nd line in a few years. Thorbs/Peluso/Hali and Armia as his wingers.

Ladd Little Ehlers

Stafford Scheifele Wheeler

Burmi Lowry Perrault

50/50 whether Morrissey makes it with the big team...I think he will start a few games for sure but after that,  I'm not sure. He'll be getting LOTS of preseason time.

Petan will come to camp and instantly be one of our top 3 or 4 playmaking forwards. He would be on the second power play unit right away. Tough to ignore that kind of talent.

Not sure what "learning how to play against bigger men" means. That must be a media thing. Petan has been playing against bigger players his whole life, and dominating. I'd say he's even more ready for the NHL than Ehlers.

I think you are right on that one.  Petan may be the training camp surprise this year.

Media didn't say it, I did.

Petan has played against boys bigger than him, never against men who are as big or as fast as a fully developed NHL player.  Lets see how he does the first time he gets checked into the boards by someone who is 220+ pounds or tries to beat NHL calibre defensemen and goalies.  Scheifele has been in the NHL for two years now and still can't stay on his feet against bigger men.

As to where this comes from, here are a few recent players comparable in size and skill potential:

Nik Petan - 5'9" 166 lbs - 20 years old

Tyler Johnson - 5'9" 175 lbs - Spent two years in the AHL before making the NHL 

Johnny Gaudreau - 5'9" 150 lbs - Never played in the AHL but he took the US College route.  He made the NHL last year at age 21.

Or how about the fact that on opening day last year 83% of the players on NHL rosters spent time in the AHL.  High first round draft picks and US College prospects tend to be those who don't graduate from the AHL.

If the only thing Petan can do is play power play and the 4th line it will be detrimental to his development into a complete player.   Maurice's system needs players to play a complete 200 foot game, and for Petan to get the ice time he needs, he will need to be defensively responsible as well as making plays in the offensive zone.  He needs to learn that defensive responsibility, and doing that against men in the AHL where it won't hurt the Jets.

I'd be thrilled if Petan shows enough to make the big club next year, but I wouldn't hold my breath on it.

The players in the AHL are a lot bigger and faster on average than Junior players are. Petan is neither big nor fast. It's a big jump in the calibre of hockey so imo he'd be better served learning to deal with it in the minors. I wouldn't ignore a great camp though. If he lights it up in preseason I'd give him the 9 games to see how he does.

Ehlers has two things going for him that Petan doesn't, great speed & he's not eligible to play in the AHL. That's why I think he'll have an NHL job before Petan.

Explain to me what it means to "learn to play against men" lol.

I thought I just did...

No you didn't. You said he needs to gain experience in the AHL. Sure, OK, maybe. But a year or two in the AHL isn't going to put 20 pounds on his frame. He doesn't gain anything from playing against players like that. You think Scheifele wouldn't be getting thrown around if he had played in the AHL first? It really makes no difference. As for whoever commented on his defensive game needing work... Have you ever watched him play? He is a far more complete player than Ehlers at this point.

I agree and at D camp he looked like a man amongst boys really

I wasn't aware that a 20 year old who is 210 lbs weighs much less then a 30 year old who weighs 210 lbs....  

The whole weight and size thing is over rated... now if you are suggesting that the jump in skill may cause him fits then I would understand...

Explain to me what it means to "learn to play against men" lol.

I thought I just did...

No you didn't. You said he needs to gain experience in the AHL. Sure, OK, maybe. But a year or two in the AHL isn't going to put 20 pounds on his frame. He doesn't gain anything from playing against players like that. You think Scheifele wouldn't be getting thrown around if he had played in the AHL first? It really makes no difference. As for whoever commented on his defensive game needing work... Have you ever watched him play? He is a far more complete player than Ehlers at this point.

Experience doing what? Playing against larger, faster players (men). For a small guy who's a playmaker, he'll have to get used to not having the time & space he did against lesser players in Junior. The difference between him and the other little guys in the league (Gaudreau, Johnson) is their skating. I don't think Petan is a great skater.

Anyways, my point (and I didn't say learn, I said "get used to") wasn't just about his size. If it was only about size, I wouldn't be advocating for Ehlers to make the team this year.

Scheifele got thrown around in Junior too. I'm not sure what his problem was. High centre of gravity?

There is no reasonable argument against the idea a rookie who isnt an elite franchise player needs time to develop to the pro game.  One can nitpick the wording but its always been true.  And its always been doubly true for smaller players.

Many, many players have discussed the difference between junior and pro, even the difference between the AHL and NHL and the speed of the game and how quick players move, how hard they hit etc.

Its possible Petan is a natural.  But its more likely he benefits from playing in the AHL.  I'd rather he over-perform in the AHL then under-perform in the NHL.  The good thing is, the Jets seemed to see the change coming where smaller players were going to have the opportunity to excel in the NHL.

Regarding size, didnt Morrissey say he put on size in the wrong way and it hurt him?  Why he looked so good last year and not as good this year?  Im sure it was him I heard an interview with where he said he tried to put on size on his own and basically just tried to get big fast.  Wheras this year the players are being trained by the Jets' expert on how to put on weight correctly.  I think it was Ehlers who said he is putting on mass in a way to not negatively impact his skills.  Here's hoping.