Jets Prospects

Rich

Here is an interesting article on the Jets prospects, how they did at this years draft and Chevy's philosophy.

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nhl-prospects-2/nhl-prospects-winnipeg-jets-top-5-for-2015/

That bit of diplomacy having been offered, the Winnipeg Jets won the 2015 NHL draft.

Winnipeg GM Kevin Cheveldayoff has become, in our estimation, the best hockey executive in the world not named Ken Holland. His managing philosophy can be quite aptly described as the eye of the storm. He lets all the other front offices make panic trades and overpay free agents and worry about what the media will write about them and execute reactionary maneuvers, while the Jets simply wait it out calmly and build the talent base of their franchise from within.

How deep is the prospect pool of the Winnipeg Jets? We checked our lists and checked them twice: out of all 30 NHL clubs, there is only one team that Jets prospects Jansen Harkins and Nic Petan would not have cracked the top-five for: and that team is the Winnipeg Jets.

The Jets are lucky in that they have a fairly intelligent fan base. We knew the cupboards were bare and it would take Chevy a few years to re-stock. Also, we were just glad to have a team back at first and didn't expect to make the playoffs at first. This gave thet eam time to draft and develop from within. Almost every article you read has the Jets at either #1 or #2 in the prospects list.

Times have changed though. We've made the playoffs and now will want more...maybe a win in the first round??

• 5 weeks later...

Here is something I just read at Hockey News...

Which five NHL teams do you feel are in the best position when it comes to prospects and which five are in the worst position?

– Keenan Clarry (@KeenanClarry)

Here’s my best:

Edmonton – The high end of Connor McDavid and Darnell Nurse vaults the Oilers to the top since McDavid is such a sure thing. I’m also a big William Lagesson fan.

Buffalo – Jack Eichel is the Sabres’ McDavid equivalent, plus you have Sam Reinhart, Justin Bailey and some nice long-term catches in Will Borgen and Christopher Brown.

Winnipeg – The deepest pool. Nikolaj Ehlers, Josh Morrissey, Nic Petan, Connor Hellebuyck, Eric Comrie, Kyle Connor, Erik Foley…it’s almost unfair at this point.

Arizona – Another great assembly with Max Domi, Anthony Duclair, Dylan Strome, Christian Dvorak, Max Letunov, Brendan Perlini and Nick Merkley,

Anaheim – Already a great team, the Ducks have reinforcements ready in Nick Ritchie, Nic Kerdiles, Shea Theodore and Kevin Roy, plus longer-term gems such as Julius Nattinen and Jacob Larsson.

And my worst, with the caveat that some of these teams are in a win-now window and have therefore sacrificed prospects:

San Jose – Timo Meier and Nikolay Goldobin are solid, but not much depth behind them.

Pittsburgh – Derrick Pouliot used to be surrounded; now he’s one of the last elite prospects in the pipeline.

New Jersey – Pavel Zacha will help, but there isn’t much more scoring coming otherwise.

Toronto – Mitch Marner, Kasperi Kapanen and Scott Harrington have all really helped the Leafs’ outlook recently in this category, but they were thin before.

New York Rangers – Just don’t have the critical mass of prospects since they’re in their Stanley Cup window right now. Adam Tambellini and Pavel Buchnevich are good, though.

It seems he has us pegged at 3rd place.

Interesting disparity between THN and Corey Pronman at ESPN, who lists Toronto at #2...   Jets are listed at #6 BTW.  Note link is blocked by a paywall ...

http://espn.go.com/nhl/insider/story/_/id/13413499/nhl-ranking-every-nhl-team-prospect-strength

Toronto at #2 and Jets at #6 is absurd.

Edmonton at 1? Outside of McDavid and Nurse, they have very little prospects and both those guys will probably be on the big squad this year so yeah Edmonton at 1 is a joke... Guys playing in the NHL are no longer considered prospects.

Toronto at 2 in the other guys listings is also a joke... Nylander Marner? Who else? That's it really. Leafs are in for a long rebuild and everyone with half a brain knows it, the depth isn't there.

I'd put Winnipeg and Buffalo at 1 and 2... if we are talking about actual prospects and not guys already in the league. 

I'm not going to post the whole article, but here is what Pronman says re: Leafs and Jets specifically

2. Toronto Maple Leafs

Previous ranking: 17

The Leafs' system has skyrocketed the past 12 months, following a great 2015 draft, key trades and progression from some prospects. Mitch Marner and William Nylander are true top-flight names, and they have a lot of depth in quality prospects, many of whom are in my top 100 overall NHL prospects column.

6. Winnipeg Jets

Previous ranking: 7

The Jets system has been bubbling up the past few seasons, thanks to a great 2015 draft and acquisitions of many high-upside talents who have developed well. The Jets have a ton of dynamic, young forwards on the way up, as well as Josh Morrissey on defense and Connor Hellebuyck in goal. A lot of their top prospects are also on the cusp of pushing for NHL time, after a lot of patience shown by the organization.

speaking of prospects, is there any kinda prospects mini camp or something in September? I'm gonna be home first week of Sept (prior to Labour Day) and wondered if there might be something out at the Ice Plex while I'm back home...

speaking of prospects, is there any kinda prospects mini camp or something in September? I'm gonna be home first week of Sept (prior to Labour Day) and wondered if there might be something out at the Ice Plex while I'm back home...

There might be. They go to BC for the Young Stars tournament from Sept 11-14 so I imagine they will be doing some practicing in the days leading up to that.

There might be. They go to BC for the Young Stars tournament from Sept 11-14 so I imagine they will be doing some practicing in the days leading up to that.

Got my tickets for the Jets-Canucks game. All the Oiler games are sold out. Hmmmm...why would that be? :)

So this is going over well..............

http://www.csnwashington.com/hockey-washington-capitals/talk/season-preview-winnipeg-jets?utm_campaign=Contact+SNS+For+More+Referrer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=snsanalytics

jjregan_washington_0.jpg

top-10-caps-moments-2014-15.png

To get you ready for the 2015-16 season, we will be previewing all 30 NHL in 30 days, division by division. Check the bottom of the page for a schedule of each preview.

Today’s team: Winnipeg Jets

2014-15 record: 43-26-13, 5th in the Central

How they finished: Lost in 4 games to Anaheim in the Western Conference Quarterfinals

Coach: Paul Maurice (3rd season)

Notable additions: RW Matt Fraser

Notable subtractions: RW Michael Frolik, RW Lee Stempniak, C Jim Slater

RELATED: Caps have two of the 50 top NHL goalie prospects

Schedule against the Capitals: Wed. Nov. 25 at Washington, Sat. Dec. 5 at Winnipeg

Outlook: What's the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over again and expecting different results. That's what seems to be going on on Winnipeg after the team was swept in the first round of the playoffs and made no moves in the offseason to get better.

There are some teams out there bursting with young talent. Those teams don't have to do much in the offseason, they simply need to wait for their players to develop into young stars. That's not the case with the Jets. Though there are a few young players who can develop into contributors--Adam Lowry (22), Mark Scheifele (22)--there's not a lot to build around on this roster. There is no young corps of budding superstars besides a few notable goaltending prospects capable of leading the Jets for years to come. Instead, there's a group of players who are in their prime and have led the Jets to the middle of the pack.

Players like Andrew Ladd, Blake Wheeler and Dustin Byfuglien are good pieces to have, but not anything to build on. Goalie Ondrej Pavelec has made a career out of playing dominant in net for 10 games and then looking like a backup the next 10. And yet, the Jets did almost nothing other than watching Michael Frolik sign with Calgary. 

Expectations: Last season was a success because they made the playoffs for the first time since moving to Winnipeg, but the playoffs are the ceiling for this roster and they did not even win a single game last year in the first round. They could easily fail to reach the postseason this year after failing to make themselves any better at all.

Holy ****, is that guy out to lunch.

Is he?  What is he wrong about? 

"There are some teams out there bursting with young talent. Those teams don't have to do much in the offseason, they simply need to wait for their players to develop into young stars. That's not the case with the Jets."

This was the line that got me...I literally burst out laughing.

Is he?  What is he wrong about? 

"There are some teams out there bursting with young talent. Those teams don't have to do much in the offseason, they simply need to wait for their players to develop into young stars. That's not the case with the Jets."

I think he's referring to only young guys who were already in the lineup.  The team overall is quite young but Scheifele, Lowry, Trouba, and Chiarot are the only guys who might still develop into stars.  You kinda know what you have already with Wheeler, Little, Ladd, Stafford, etc.  Rookies generally aren't stars in their first season so the guys you are looking at to take big steps forward this year are really only Scheifele, Lowry, and Trouba.

Is he?  What is he wrong about?  The team hasn't done anything to improve this offseason.  Relying on Ehlers and Burmi to put this team over the top doesn't really give me too much confidence.

I think they're relying on a lot more than Ehlers.

They're relying on the raised level of comfort from Myers and Stafford who get a TC with their new team. They're relying on the development of Scheifele, Trouba and Lowry. They're relying on the system to put some new blood in.

That article is a joke lol