Jets Prospects

Rich

So basically the Jets' plan is exactly what the article says.  Add nothing, lose a couple pieces and hope everyone else just gets better this season.  If that plan sounds familiar it's because the Bombers followed the same plan between 2011 and 2012.

The Jets are going to miss the playoffs this year.

Not sure if people have paid attention but from DAY 1, the Jets have always said that the plan is to draft and develop. I'm not sure why anyone thinks otherwise to be honest, they have said it since DAY 1. Draft and Develop, won't overpay for free agents, it won't happen and probably never will. The Jets are a draft and develop team and have made no secrets about that. 

So we lost Frolik, big deal really... Ehlers and Burmi should be able to replace his production and maybe even do more... 

Losing Frolik is not gonna be the end of the world.. Who else did they lose really? Nobody that they didn't want too

Slater,Tlusty,Stempniak? Oh well, 2 were rentals and 1 was a joke really... all 3 were not offered contracts by the Jets and so far, have not been offered contracts by any team in the league...

They just lost frolik and will replace him with the youngsters...ITs been the plan since day 1.

No playoffs? We will see about that but... all i know is, better get used to losing players and seeing youth injected in to the line up cuz that's how they have said it's gonna be. 

Scheif,Lowry,Myers,Trouba... all young players that will continue to grow with the team.... Add Ehlers and Burmi and maybe some others like Morrissey Lemieux and Petan or Copp... 

It's how you build a team really, you don't go out in free agency and over pay guys... honestly the free agent class this year was the weakest its been in years, when a guy like Frolik is considered one of the top guys available, it's a weak class.. 

If you actually look at teams like Chicago for example, they drafted and developed there guys too (Toews,Kane,Keith,Seabrook etc) Saad who they had to trade even, so many others too, they don't go out and sign free agents galore, neither does Detroit, they promote from with in and it works... The teams who go out and sign all these free agents to big money deals, hows it work for them exactly? Ask the leafs how signing Clarkson worked for them or Flordia how signing Bolland worked out for them. 

The biggest question for the Jets really isn't... can they make the playoffs or what have they done to replace the guys they have lost (the one guy)... It's can they get league average goaltending again? Cuz if they can, then this team probably does make the playoffs... That's been the problem tho, That's the real problem with the team... It's goaltending and until it's fixed, you just don't know what you are gonna get with them.

League average goaltending and the team makes the playoffs, Pav struggles as does Hutch? No chance...  Better than league average goaltending? They might surprise some people and instead of being a wildcard team, finish near the top of the central. 

I don't see the Jets making any "big" UFA or TD moves until they are a better team....3 years maybe.

I agree with everything you said except two were a joke, not one.

Is Scheifele going to develop into a 1C? Is he destined to be a very good 2C?

Connor-Cheifele-Ehlers could be scary good in a few years.

Not sure if people have paid attention but from DAY 1, the Jets have always said that the plan is to draft and develop. I'm not sure why anyone thinks otherwise to be honest, they have said it since DAY 1. Draft and Develop, won't overpay for free agents, it won't happen and probably never will. The Jets are a draft and develop team and have made no secrets about that. 

So we lost Frolik, big deal really... Ehlers and Burmi should be able to replace his production and maybe even do more... 

Losing Frolik is not gonna be the end of the world.. Who else did they lose really? Nobody that they didn't want too

Slater,Tlusty,Stempniak? Oh well, 2 were rentals and 1 was a joke really... all 3 were not offered contracts by the Jets and so far, have not been offered contracts by any team in the league...

They just lost frolik and will replace him with the youngsters...ITs been the plan since day 1.

No playoffs? We will see about that but... all i know is, better get used to losing players and seeing youth injected in to the line up cuz that's how they have said it's gonna be. 

Scheif,Lowry,Myers,Trouba... all young players that will continue to grow with the team.... Add Ehlers and Burmi and maybe some others like Morrissey Lemieux and Petan or Copp... 

It's how you build a team really, you don't go out in free agency and over pay guys... honestly the free agent class this year was the weakest its been in years, when a guy like Frolik is considered one of the top guys available, it's a weak class.. 

If you actually look at teams like Chicago for example, they drafted and developed there guys too (Toews,Kane,Keith,Seabrook etc) Saad who they had to trade even, so many others too, they don't go out and sign free agents galore, neither does Detroit, they promote from with in and it works... The teams who go out and sign all these free agents to big money deals, hows it work for them exactly? Ask the leafs how signing Clarkson worked for them or Flordia how signing Bolland worked out for them. 

The biggest question for the Jets really isn't... can they make the playoffs or what have they done to replace the guys they have lost (the one guy)... It's can they get league average goaltending again? Cuz if they can, then this team probably does make the playoffs... That's been the problem tho, That's the real problem with the team... It's goaltending and until it's fixed, you just don't know what you are gonna get with them.

League average goaltending and the team makes the playoffs, Pav struggles as does Hutch? No chance...  Better than league average goaltending? They might surprise some people and instead of being a wildcard team, finish near the top of the central. 

A page worth of excuses.  Frankly I don't care about the draft and develop model, I'm talking about their chances THIS YEAR.  Which don't look good.

Hilarious that you bring up Chicago and Toews, Kane, Keith, and Seabrook.  Let me know when we have even one player approaching the skill level of any of them.  Until then the comparison is totally invalid.

A page worth of excuses.  Frankly I don't care about the draft and develop model, I'm talking about their chances THIS YEAR.  Which don't look good.

Hilarious that you bring up Chicago and Toews, Kane, Keith, and Seabrook.  Let me know when we have even one player approaching the skill level of any of them.  Until then the comparison is totally invalid.

Chicago sucked for 5 or 6 years... even when they had toews and kane and keith and seabrook, they weren't good for a few years, not until they all had time to develop really, Toews didn't come in and was a superstar immediately, neither was kane, neither was seabrook or keith.... It took time.

Might not care about the draft and develop model but... that is what they have said since day 1 so instead of getting pissed about it, you should probably learn to embrace it cuz it isn't gonna change anytime soon.

Just a simple question tho...

What should they have done to improve the team this off-season? How would they have gone about and done that exactly? 

God this is impossible.  It's not about what I care about.  Whether I "embrace the draft and develop" model makes no difference.  The guy in the article was talking about the Jets' chances this year.  I'm talking about the Jets' chances this year.  Not in two years.  Not in three years.  Not about how they're set up to win a Cup in 5 years.

This year.

And they either got worse or stayed the same this year, and the team is going to miss the playoffs.  Maybe they are setting up for a run in 2 or 3 years, I don't know.  Makes no difference this year really.  The team is not going to play as well as last year and I hope fans are prepared for that.

I've been saying for a year that the Jets would be more likely to miss the playoffs this year than make. The unknown aspect is how much better they will be with a full season of Stafford and Myers.

As well whether Ehlers makes the team and what kind of impact he has.

I expect Scheif and Lowry to be better but not dramatically so. But both might end up with water regular line mates (Stafford and Burmi).

I expect the 4th line to be better over all. Which should help the 2nd and 3rd lines a bit.

Because the Jets are streaky they can make the playoffs by eliminating those streaks of losses and poor play and if they can be more consistent they can win.

We should be able to win a few more 2-1 games with a better Trouba and a full season of Myers.

I expect them to neither bomb or excell but be another bubble year.

Doesn't anyone remember how many injuries we had on Defense yet we still did well?

Frolik wasn't that much of a difference maker.

Yes, I remember we had three defencemen all "injured" at the same time.  Hopefully, those injuries are a thing of the past now.

The only off-season move I would have made was to trade Enstrom. Anywhere.  If the issue is we need a LHD then go get one to replace Enstrom.  Other than that, yes, this season will probably be another early exit from the playoffs, but I haven't been this excited about a new crop of rookies coming up since 1992.

Its a bit frustrating but Chevy 'grew up' with a team that ended up in serious cap trouble - after a few cups, mind you...  feels like he's sitting back a bit and keeping cap space for the new guys...  if he blows the bank on Ladd, then there goes that theory though

Still think he picks up an FA or two by December...  there's so many players unsigned that you will find a Stempniak-type easily if Copp or Armia don't work out.  A bit surprised that he's letting Brouillette and Ellerby walk, would think they would sign for almost nothing...

That being said, I think we just miss the playoffs by a game or two, lots of teams powered up in the division.

Have to hope for some sophomore slumps in Calgary... the Preds to come back to earth... Dubnyk to remember he's just a journeyman...

Regardless, Jets haven't made any additions that make me feel like we can compete with Anaheim come playoff time.

Of all the teams the Jets could meet int the playoffs, I would want them to meet the Ducks last. The Jets can get past anyone but I don't think they stand a chance against the Ducks yet. Now, if someone else kncoked the Ducks out, our chances advancing deeper into the cup run increases substantially.

There were a few more things than goaltending.

Buff, Trouba and Enstrom were all, reportedly, playing hurt.

Scheifele was schooled by Kesler.

Their goalie made the stops when they needed them and ours didn't.

Ladd was also very hurt.  He took a lot of flak (from me too) but in retrospect him playing as hurt as he was was rather heroic and we had little chance with our injuries...and yet *did* have a chance.

I thought Schief started off well but really got off his game by Kesler.  But its one of those things where he will learn from it.  The one thing is, I would have hoped we had enough leadership on our team to sort of overcome some of that.  Where was the leadership to settle Scheif down and give him guidance?  Maybe they did...maybe he just wasnt up to the challenge. 

Hopefully we can improve our bottom six enough where our top six isnt playing more than needed.  Ideally, we'd be well into a playoff spot and not playing "playoff hockey" for the last six weeks of the season.  Dont underestimate a full season of Stafford and Myers.

Don't over-estimate a full season of Stafford and Myers...  

No reason to think Ladd won't get hurt again this year, its just the style he plays - its caught up to him.

No leadership for Scheif?  What real playoff experience does any of this team have...?  Not much.

Improve the bottom six?  Chevy let three free agents walk before we have proven replacements

I have high hopes but this feels a lot like the bombers for the last few years... just have too many question marks up and down the lineup - everything after our top line has some element of hoping a player is NHL ready and grabs a spot...  could happen but its a big gamble.

No reason to think Ladd won't get hurt again this year, its just the style he plays - its caught up to him.

No leadership for Scheif?  What real playoff experience does any of this team have...?  Not much.

Improve the bottom six?  Chevy let three free agents walk before we have proven replacements

I have high hopes but this feels a lot like the bombers for the last few years... just have too many question marks up and down the lineup - everything after our top line has some element of hoping a player is NHL ready and grabs a spot...  could happen but its a big gamble.

The only free agent that really mattered that the Jets let walk is Frolik.  His presence will somewhat be replaced by Burmistrov.

The top 2 lines will be the same as last year in some combination of Littler, Ladd, Wheeler, Perreault, Scheifele, and Stafford.

Taking that into account there are two definite spots open for a rookie.  Probably be Ehlers on the 3rd line with Lowry and Burmi and Copp on the 4th line with some combination of Thorburn, Peluso, Halischuk, and Fraser..  

There is a chance they add more rookies, but someone will have to steal a job in training camp or as an injury replacement to do it.  

They definitely haven't added a whole lot to get better, but they really haven't lost as much as people think.   This is the draft and develop model the Jets are committed to.  Having all of these prospects coming in over the next few number of years means you need to start adding a couple of rookies every year.  

I wouldn't be surprised if they make the playoffs.  I wouldn't be surprised if they miss the playoffs.  The line in today's NHL, especially the central division, is razor thin and has as much to do about coaching and gelling as a team in the system as it does about personnel. 

What a silly post.

Sure, Ladd, Wheeler, Buff, Myers, Pavs might all get hurt in Game One.  Let's get extreme about the negativity.

DIdnt Ladd have a broken rib?  Im not sure that's an injury caused because his style caught up with him.  No reason to think he wont get hurt either.

Which three free agents did Chevy let walk before we have replacements?  Frolik?  Didnt want to be here.  Tlusty?  Stemp?  Both still free agents, both role players.

What experience does this team have?  Couple cups for Ladd and Buff.  Frolik when he was here.

I dont want to be overly positive.  I've said I think they will miss the playoffs.  But man...this is just a half-empty type of post.

That lineup still relies on three unproven players stepping up...  After KHL, Burmi is definitely 'unproven' once again

Right now, our talent drops off after the top two lines to a greater degree than it did last year

Let's say Perrault and Wheeler get injured in November... what are the options? 

That lineup still relies on three unproven players stepping up...  After KHL, Burmi is definitely 'unproven' once again

Right now, our talent drops off after the top two lines to a greater degree than it did last year

Let's say Perrault and Wheeler get injured in November... what are the options? 

I'd be surprised if Burmi was a lesser player than when he was here.  The fact he came to Winnipeg early and planned to be here all summer training also is a good sign.  He's young.  His speed and endurance should not be an issue.  And Im sure he's got the Paul Maurice "fitness" talk so he will be in great shape.  If anything, he will have more opportunity to flaunt his offensive awareness under Maurice.  If he can do that while maintaining his defensive awareness and puck control, he will be a better player.

This is also a better team than the one Burmi left.  He wont be replied upon as much and the leadership wont let him slide.  Pencilling him in as 3RW (or 3LW) seems reasonable.  And even though people talk like Ehlers needs to be a top six guy, I think him with Lowry and Burmi could be tremendous.  A line that wont "need" to always be an offensive threat.  You've got a very smart, tough player in Lowry, puck-possession & good playmaker in Burmi and elite-potential offense in Ehlers.  Could be really good.

Could also flop.  Who knows.

I think its possible the Jets sign another winger before the season begins or they might wait to see how things shake loose.  Depth is an issue but its difficult to fill roles when you're also trying to make room for prospects.  if Ehlers makes the team:

Ladd-Little-Stafford

Perreault-Scheif-Wheeler

Ehlers-Lowry-Burmi

Thats not a bad top nine at all.  And then whats our bottom 3 (plus depth)?  Halischuk-Copp-Thorburn  Thats a decent 4th line.  Depth is a concern, for sure.  But this team is right in that transition.