Protecting the QB's: NFL vs. CFL

BigBlue

I think it's the type of quarterbacks we have in the league now. Look at the guys who have been hurt they all like to get out of pocket and run. You saw guys like Calvillo and McManus pure pocket passers play 18 games every year because they avoided contact at all times.

Reilly got hurt in the pocket, twice in the same game.  LeFevour was on a roll out.  Durrant was in the pocket and no one touched him.  Crompton was in the pocket too IIRC (Didn't go back and check) 

I think it's the type of quarterbacks we have in the league now. Look at the guys who have been hurt they all like to get out of pocket and run. You saw guys like Calvillo and McManus pure pocket passers play 18 games every year because they avoided contact at all times.

Couldn't agree more.  Guys hold the ball too long to make a play and take a cumulative beating for it. Makes me worried for Willy b/c he's Buck-like that way.

When did Calvillo hold the ball for more than 3-5 or fie seconds. He would look through his reads no ones open he would throw it away. Today they try to stay in the pocket as long as possible.

I think the only time I've ever really seen Calvillo struggle (after he'd established himself in Montreal) was when Bellefeuille was the coordinator there.  That season was a complete gong show from a protection standpoint and Calvillo got abused.

Reilly got hurt in the pocket, twice in the same game.  LeFevour was on a roll out.  Durrant was in the pocket and no one touched him.  Crompton was in the pocket too IIRC (Didn't go back and check) 

That one was a high hit where the DB could have chosen to form tackle versus take his head off. I love tough aggressive type football balanced with respecting other players livelihood.

On the Coach's show O'Shea said that Kevin Glenn is the hardest QB in the league to sack because he releases the ball so quickly.  Might explain why Glenn has had such a long career......that and his instinct to turtle at the appropriate moment.

Recall if you will a game when Glenn was here and Edmonton just started rushing only 2 players and dropping everyone else back because they gave up even trying to get to Glenn. 

With Glenn though you need to hit him cause he is a giant puss when he gets hit and he goes away after a couple good licks on him. 

Knowing when to duck and when to run kept Wayne Gretzky from being pulped. That and Dave Semenko.

Could Dave Semenko play fullback for us?

That would be funny. We could get rid of the o-line and just run 10 receivers, with Semenko just standing in front of Willy, daring anyone to lay a hand on him, and no one from the other team crossing the line of scrimmage...

I was thinking thye reffing in the NFL is much more protective ... flags on anything close and not much discretion that the CFL officials seem to take ... that might be a lack of league instruction to the crews

Entirely the opposite.  You get a solid 2 steamboats to tee up the QB after the ball is gone in the NFL.  In the CFL it's less than one.

In the NFL a horsecollar tackle means you've grabbed a player using the shoulder pads and pulled them over backwards, a rule made specifically to prevent torn ACL's.  In the CFL, it's pretty much the tackling of any player who has a collar on their jersey or a collared shirt hanging in their locker, and is thrown at random times when the Bombers may be mounting a comeback in a game.

You are putting this on rules and reffing and completely overlooking the types of athletes each league prefers at QB.  The NFL has a strong preference for large durable quarterbacks.  Their job description is to stay in the pocket, make the throw, take the hit, repeat.  The CFL looks for QBs who can keep the play alive and take advantage of our larger field.  At the end of the day we will only ever get the players that the NFL doesn't want.

Both are generalizations and there are examples of the opposite being true for both leagues, and of those exceptions having great success.  And some NFL QBs get extra protection from the refs.  If a defender breathes on Brady's toenails a flag will be thrown, whereas Carson Palmer will get no such protection.  Maybe he should paint his toenails like Brady does.

One pass rusher holds Willy while another goes straight at him full force leading with his helmut. If that is not intent to injure then I have never seen it in 50+ years of watching football.

In hockey the punishment would be severe for that... part or all of a season.

The Zebra's yawned .... ever hear of spearing, hit-to-the- head, or even UNNECESSARY roughness?

Ever hear of an unwritten players code-of-conduct?

The League has to go past fining players for intent to injure. They need to suspend players for multiple games. Suspend Tom Brady for 4 games for football deflation. What does this rate?

One pass rusher holds Willy while another goes straight at him full force leading with his helmut. If that is not intent to injure then I have never seen it in 50+ years of watching football.

The Zebra's yawned .... ever hear of spearing, hit-to-the- head, or even UNNECESSARY roughness?

The League has to go past fining players for intent to injure. They need to suspend players for multiple games. Suspend Tom Brady for 4 games for football deflation. What does this rate?

Totally agree.

What the **** were the refs looking at? There should be a suspension and fine. The ref should also be fined for missing the call.

The coach should be giving permission to the oline to go after any player that cheap shots our qb. Time to start sending a message to other teams that this **** won't go unpunished.

Totally agree.

What the **** were the refs looking at? There should be a suspension and fine. The ref should also be fined for missing the call.

The coach should be giving permission to the oline to go after any player that cheap shots our qb. Time to start sending a message to other teams that this **** won't go unpunished.

Absolutely unbelievable that there was no penalty called on that play.  What part of protecting the QB do the refs. not understand?

Well, look at the refs. Al Bradbury never gives the bombers a fair shake (I seem to say that a lot but IMO Murray Clarke, the other dufus who they finally demoted back to a side judge, and Bradbury, are bomber haters). 

Seems like they look the other way. Now that play wasn't planned, the defender who hit Willy in the head was coming to finish him off and unfortunately Willy got spun around just before he got there. There was however head to head contact and maybe I am misunderstanding the rule but I thought, accidental or not, when the head is the first and main point of contact it's an automatic penalty. I don't think the play warrants a fine or suspension though (except maybe to Bradbury and his crew).

Hope Willy is OK - as inconsistent as he is, he is the Bombers only decent QB and only hope for a playoff spot

Oh, just to add - they should add another rule and I hate it but it's better than destroyed QB's. When a QB is in the grasp, they should call it dead. Yes, I know many times a Qb can actually escape a would be tackler and make a play, but this league is shitty enough when we have our um, #1 Qb's playing, it's down right unwatchable when it's manned by 2nd and 3rd stringers (now half the league is  running on backups and I'm not sold on Lulay surviving more than a couple of weeks).

Absolutely unbelievable that there was no penalty called on that play.  What part of protecting the QB do the refs. not understand?

I don't know how you don't see helmet to helmet contact when the person you're responsible for protecting, is swung around in a play that everybody is watching, and the said QB is suddenly banged the other way by a helmet-launched Ti-cat player??

Totally agree.

I hope Walters has sent the film to the commish

What I don't understand is how the Bomber hogs let that cheap shot artist live

They have been hired to protect the QB

Totally agree.

I hope Walters has sent the film to the commish

What I don't understand is how the Bomber hogs let that cheap shot artist live

They have been hired to protect the QB