CFL Supplemental Draft

Competition will be fierce for which Canadians play on defence. No guarantee Buckner starts at corner

That's what i was thinking, eventually it looks like they will not require a National to play the corner.

I think that is a position you want to transition away from a NI if you have the luxury of doing so. It's a tough position to find good NIs at.

Dominic Picard

Sam Hurl

Jamaal Westerman

Sukh Chungh

Addison Richards

Garrett Waggoner

has a club added so much Canadian talent in one offseason in recent memory?

An aging olineman, a mediocre lb, one legit ni talent and three draft picks? I'm sure nearly every year every team does the same.

Dominic Picard

Sam Hurl

Jamaal Westerman

Sukh Chungh

Addison Richards

Garrett Waggoner

An aging olineman, a mediocre lb, one legit ni talent and three draft picks? I'm sure nearly every year every team does the same.

haha lol.

Rotor over on Riderfans (who regularly talks with Eric Tillman) says Tillman thinks Waggoner has a chance to be a rookie starter at LB.

I actually know Rotor in real life through mutual business acquaintances. He is not blowing smoke. I'm not at liberty to discuss his personal life but it is very safe to assume that he knows Tillman very well.

Dominic Picard

Sam Hurl

Jamaal Westerman

Sukh Chungh

Addison Richards

Garrett Waggoner

Migs, is that you?

Rotor over on Riderfans (who regularly talks with Eric Tillman) says Tillman thinks Waggoner has a chance to be a rookie starter at LB.

I actually know Rotor in real life through mutual business acquaintances. He is not blowing smoke. I'm not at liberty to discuss his personal life but it is very safe to assume that he knows Tillman very well.

Is he the father of the babysitter?  What too soon?

Dominic Picard

Sam Hurl

Jamaal Westerman

Sukh Chungh

Addison Richards

Garrett Waggoner

please give us an example

giphy.gif

Two other teams offered first rounders for Waggoner.

I feel okay now.

The Lions were one of four teams to offer a first-round 2016 pick for Waggoner, but lost him to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, who reaped the benefit of a higher waiver claim order from missing the playoffs last year.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/05/20/lions-not-playing-safe-to-replace-safety/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Another question then.  If we offer a 1st and Ottawa offers a first I know Ottawa would have gotten him.  However can we then add in another pick or is it a one pick deal?

One pick deal, so you know Ottawa wasn't one of the teams that were in on him.

Almost makes you wonder if Ottawa weighed the possibility of bidding for him and holding their own auction. Sounds like he was pretty sought after.

Dominic Picard

Sam Hurl

Jamaal Westerman

Sukh Chungh

Addison Richards

Garrett Waggoner

Remember when the Riders signed Picard and Labatte when both in their prime?

Are you suggesting that no team has signed 3 ni in a season before?

Also for the draft picks remember how great Poblah turned out to be? I wouldn't be bragging about the guys we added just yet.

I feel okay now.

The Lions were one of four teams to offer a first-round 2016 pick for Waggoner, but lost him to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, who reaped the benefit of a higher waiver claim order from missing the playoffs last year.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/05/20/lions-not-playing-safe-to-replace-safety/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

woohoo!! Our tremendous sucking paid off! In your face Buffalo Sabres!

Damn it! I had to go out this afternoon, I was totally going to make that joke. 

Dominic Picard

Sam Hurl

Jamaal Westerman

Sukh Chungh

Addison Richards

Garrett Waggoner

Remember when the Riders signed Picard and Labatte when both in their prime?

Are you suggesting that no team has signed 3 ni in a season before?

Also for the draft picks remember how great Poblah turned out to be? I wouldn't be bragging about the guys we added just yet.

I'd agree it's too soon to tell how the signings will pay off.  But Walters has brought in more Canadians then any GM in recent history for the Bombers.  To that I say well done Kyle!  Of course he wouldn't have to bring in all these Canadians if the last two clowns had a hot clue on how to properly draft and retain Canadians....

That occurred this time around, when the Lions and at least three other clubs went hard after Garrett Waggoner, an American-born defensive back who was once on the Lions negotiation list before he was deemed to be a non-import. Here’s a well-done piece on Waggoner for background which surfaced this week.

Sounds like Wally was hard, er going hard for Waggoner too.

His play drew the attention of the B.C. Lions, who put him on their negotiation list – a method by which CFL teams commonly lock down American players. He was getting ready to sign his first contract with the team last month when his mom received a message from TSN’s Duane Forde.

“I remember I was sitting on the couch and my mom said, ‘Garrett this CFL analyst just Tweeted me and said to follow him and ‘DM’ him. What’s a DM and how do I follow him?’” Waggoner said. “That was funny.”

Forde, who does colour commentary for CFL games and is the broadcaster’s resident draft expert, had been talking to a scout about Waggoner.

“He mentioned how much he liked this kid and that he was Hal Waggoner’s grandson. I recognized the grandfather’s name just from being around the CFL,” Forde said.

It also got Forde thinking: could Waggoner possibly qualify as a national player, something that would dramatically increase his value to teams around the league?

Though Waggoner was born in the United States, he’s entitled to Canadian citizenship because his father Scott was born here, a practice commonly known as citizenship by first generation descent. In addition, the CFL changed its rules last year to consider any player with Canadian citizenship as a national.

So Waggoner showed his mom how to direct message Forde. Then he called his agent, Fred Weinrauch.

“I told him, ‘Duane Forde said I might be able to qualify for national status, does this mean anything?’” And he said, ‘Definitely, let’s look into it,’” Waggoner said.

Sounds like Kyle owes Duane Forde a doughnut.  Also - how pissed off is Wally right now?  He had this kid in the bag and Forde totally screwed it up for him.

I feel okay now.

Now that the great and powerful Wally Buono has justified this selection, I am happy with it!  ;)

His play drew the attention of the B.C. Lions, who put him on their negotiation list – a method by which CFL teams commonly lock down American players. He was getting ready to sign his first contract with the team last month when his mom received a message from TSN’s Duane Forde.

“I remember I was sitting on the couch and my mom said, ‘Garrett this CFL analyst just Tweeted me and said to follow him and ‘DM’ him. What’s a DM and how do I follow him?’” Waggoner said. “That was funny.”

Forde, who does colour commentary for CFL games and is the broadcaster’s resident draft expert, had been talking to a scout about Waggoner.

“He mentioned how much he liked this kid and that he was Hal Waggoner’s grandson. I recognized the grandfather’s name just from being around the CFL,” Forde said.

It also got Forde thinking: could Waggoner possibly qualify as a national player, something that would dramatically increase his value to teams around the league?

Though Waggoner was born in the United States, he’s entitled to Canadian citizenship because his father Scott was born here, a practice commonly known as citizenship by first generation descent. In addition, the CFL changed its rules last year to consider any player with Canadian citizenship as a national.

So Waggoner showed his mom how to direct message Forde. Then he called his agent, Fred Weinrauch.

“I told him, ‘Duane Forde said I might be able to qualify for national status, does this mean anything?’” And he said, ‘Definitely, let’s look into it,’” Waggoner said.

Sounds like Kyle owes Duane Forde a doughnut. Also - how pissed off is Wally right now? He had this kid in the bag and Forde totally screwed it up for him.

If he had signed a contract as an import would he have been able to change his designation? I doubt it. So I'm not sure it's a huge loss for the lions but a big gain for us in that respect