TIger cats sign Johnny Sears

holoman

I had completely forgotten we didn't re-sign Sears.  Always loved seeing those gold shoes bolting down the field and being the first one to make contact.  Think Hammy will be happy with him.

I had completely forgotten we didn't re-sign Sears.  Always loved seeing those gold shoes bolting down the field and being the first one to make contact.  Think Hammy will be happy with him.

I wonder if Rennie Curran is still out there waiting for the stars to align?  Easy to forget about these guys when they drop off the radar but as far as I can tell the Bombers could still use Curran but have probably moved on in their planning. 

Sears is a good player when healthy, but that's a BIG when healthy... The fact is, yeah he's a good player but, he's probably pretty easily replaced on the roster. 

Was he a good one? For sure, Was he elite and one of the best players in the league at his position? probably not. 

when healthy I'd be willing to make an argument that he was. It was a travesty that they held him out of the lineup last year because they didn't want to make a change. Guy is a game changer. 

They had other options to tinker with the ratio. Sears is the kind of player that you make room for. Sherman was quite frankly not good enough to be playing that position. Yeah he's a good kid who made some plays, but he was a weakness as a starter. 

We had Goossen on the bench and were playing 3 import OL which meant Sherman had to start on D. Goossen should have been in the whole time because the American guards weren't even good anyways. Would have been much better off playing Sears and Goossen than American dud and Sherman. With all due respect to Sherman because he did the best he could but starting at SAM probably wasn't ideal.

We had Goossen on the bench and were playing 3 import OL which meant Sherman had to start on D. Goossen should have been in the whole time because the American guards weren't even good anyways. Would have been much better off playing Sears and Goossen than American dud and Sherman. With all due respect to Sherman because he did the best he could but starting at SAM probably wasn't ideal.

Have to agree with this... if starting an American at guard solidified the o-line then sure... but they were still just as bad... might as well get Goossen some on-the-job training...

It drove me nuts, watching Sears as a healthy scratch....while we played feather dusters with opposing ball carriers.....

I think sitting Sears was ratio-necessary due to the dysfunction of the O-line more than anything.

The OL sucked with an american at guard, surely it could have sucked with 2 americans and another Canadian guard, which would have given them the benefit of boosting the effectiveness of the defense. 

I said it before, I'll say it again, Sears is the kind of player you make room for, you don't make him a healthy scratch. 

Sears was a game changer for us. What I loved about him was his ability to lead others on the team to play better off the field and certainly motivated them on the field seeing him knock guys around. Brought a good deal of entertainment for the fans too.

• 1 month later...

Well, we see Johnny in the 'Peg tomorrow night. If he has a chip on his shoulder, I wouldn't want to be a bomber receiver. This is one reason why being a CFL fan is so frustrating... especially a bomber fan. You like a player a lot and WHAM - he's gone. 

Well, we see Johnny in the 'Peg tomorrow night. If he has a chip on his shoulder, I wouldn't want to be a bomber receiver. This is one reason why being a CFL fan is so frustrating... especially a bomber fan. You like a player a lot and WHAM - he's gone. 

Yup ...WHAM....and Sears is headed for the tub and the six game....He can't stay healthy and that's his biggest downfall...

It has since come out that the Bombers offered Sears an extension at the end of last season but he wanted to look at NFL options.

When those didn't pan out he came back to the club but money had already been used on other contracts and we could no longer sign him.

Loved Sears play on the field.  Business is business.  He will be good for Hamilton.

It has since come out that the Bombers offered Sears an extension at the end of last season but he wanted to look at NFL options.

When those didn't pan out he came back to the club but money had already been used on other contracts and we could no longer sign him.

Loved Sears play on the field.  Business is business.  He will be good for Hamilton.

O'Shea mentioned that Sears signed with Hammy for less than what the Bombers offered him last season.  After his NFL plans fell through he wanted to come back and the Bombers wanted him but he just waited too long to make it happen. 

Why would he want to come back to a team that made him a healthy scratch for Don Unamba?

I believe it technically would have been in favour of Teague Sherman... ratio issues...

speaking of Sears and other former Bombers... Sears, Jovon, and Hefney all had INTs in week one...