Whats left on the shopping list

BigBlue

The O-line has been rebuilt

Running back looks ok ... so do the defensive backs

Not sure about receivers & line backers ... seems to be lots of bodies coming in

The D-line needs some shoring up & we have some candidates there and here

Most of don't have a clue if we have a golden goose or two in all the new signings

So what concerns you as we head into camp shortly?

O-Line aside, what is the one single BIG area we absolutely have to fix before opening day?

We need good linebackers. We have no veterans. In all likelihood there will be 2 new rookie linebackers, plus Sam Hurl who is still pretty raw himself. That's 3 pretty huge question marks, and if any get injured or play poorly then you are digging even deeper into the prospect pool... In other words you are hoping the guys who didn't win starting jobs in the first place are now the answer to your problems.

Sam Hurl himself is a huge question mark. I have really high hopes for him but if he doesn't work out, that means we are probably taking out Anderson for Thomas or Leggett for Sherman or Newman. That Canadian starter depth is still razor thin. There's not much we can do about that before the season unless we hit a home run in the draft or trade a pick+ for a starting Canadian.

Receiver depth would be my second concern, both American and Canadian. I'm glad there were some good reviews coming out of mini camp about Ezra Millington and Kris Bastien because we will probably need them at some point. I'm still a big fan of the idea of drafting Nic Demski because we need more good receivers. Even more so now that Goodrich peeled out.

I expect Denmark to be as reliable as ever but who knows what we are going to get from Moore and Adams? I hope the competition at receiver is strong, we'll need some good backups or possibly even a starter depending on how Darvin Adams looks.

Good to see RBs in camp that suit MB's playcalling.  Cdn receiver depth is a concern... especially if we have two starters penciled in for ratio

Between Hurl, Newman, Briggs, even Sherman, should have someone that can play WIL

Really looking like we need to go Demski or Waud at #2

Good to see RBs in camp that suit MB's playcalling.  Cdn receiver depth is a concern... especially if we have two starters penciled in for ratio

Between Hurl, Newman, Briggs, even Sherman, should have someone that can play WIL

Really looking like we need to go Demski or Waud at #2

I agree with all of this. We seem to have a NI LB spot locked up. I'm not too worried about the MLB, I think Richie Hall can find one he likes in one of these FA camps we've been having. I'm wondering what the SAM spot is looking like this year, is it going to be a glorified DB? Or are we totally converting the LBing core to something more traditional?

There should be a good RB competition. I'm sure we'll see a couple of them throughout the season.

It looks like we have found an edge rusher in Derrell Johnson, I have high hopes. If we can stay relatively healthy along the DLine, should be a huge improvement over last season.

I am honestly most worried about our receiving core. I was pumped about the Nic Moore signing last year and I hope he can finally live up to that promise. I definitely wouldn't mind Walters taking a hard look at Demski, and I really hope there were some good finds at the position in mini-camp. We need to surround Willy with all the talent we can.

I sure hope the team doesn't bank on Derrell Johnson like we are. We need at least one or two more guys that aren't on the roster today to push that spot in camp.

Really drives me nuts how poor the coverage of mini camp was. Would love to know the type of perspective we get from fans who go to mini camp, not just quotes from coaches and stuff. Who looked good? Who didn't? Irving has a good eye for that stuff but my god, I think Wiecek has written about 6 articles in 3 days and I can't say there's even an ounce of football analysis in them. But if you want to hear about how the players got screwed out of breakfast, he's worth a read.

We should send somebody to mini camp next year.

We need good linebackers. We have no veterans. In all likelihood there will be 2 new rookie linebackers, plus Sam Hurl who is still pretty raw himself. That's 3 pretty huge question marks, and if any get injured or play poorly then you are digging even deeper into the prospect pool... In other words you are hoping the guys who didn't win starting jobs in the first place are now the answer to your problems.

I think we'll only start one rookie linebacker. I think Unamba probably has the inside track for the sam spot and we'll see a batte between Hurl & Newman for the wil position. They aren't exactly grizzled veterans, but they've got enough experience under their belts that they should (hopefully) be ready to take on starting roles.

It's definitely the biggest question mark heading into camp though.

I sure hope the team doesn't bank on Derrell Johnson like we are. We need at least one or two more guys that aren't on the roster today to push that spot in camp.

Really drives me nuts how poor the coverage of mini camp was. Would love to know the type of perspective we get from fans who go to mini camp, not just quotes from coaches and stuff. Who looked good? Who didn't? Irving has a good eye for that stuff but my god, I think Wiecek has written about 6 articles in 3 days and I can't say there's even an ounce of football analysis in them. But if you want to hear about how the players got screwed out of breakfast, he's worth a read.

You wouldn't even hear about breakfast if he didn't feel that he was screwed out of breakfast as well. All the guy does is whine about how much work he has to put in to cover the Bombers. Well....in a nutshell that's what he does.

I think we'll only start one rookie linebacker. I think Unamba probably has the inside track for the sam spot and we'll see a batte between Hurl & Newman for the wil position. They aren't exactly grizzled veterans, but they've got enough experience under their belts that they should (hopefully) be ready to take on starting roles.

It's definitely the biggest question mark heading into camp though.

I agree that the SAM spot will likely be covered by one of our current DBs....unless, of course, someone really shines at camp.

Once again, the usual whiners doing the usual whining.

Just covering for Tburg - it's 6am on the coast.

What's left on the shopping list?  We haven't seen most of these players, so maybe everything.  Maybe nothing.  Not much has changed from a fan perspective since the day after the opening of free agency.

Just have to wait for the draft and wait for TC to know the answer to that question.

I expect to see a fully capable starting lineup this early summer with the Offence taking the lead as they did early last year.

New line, better Identified RBs and a refreshed QB.

The secondary should be very good and the 'new' group of LBs will be miles ahead of where we left off last year. Our D line looks thin at depth at this point, but still should field solid starters.

I'm not worried about the receivers, as I expect at least 1 to jump up and take the lead.

What we do have to do is learn to win again, starting from putting together drives and keeping our QB healthy, and getting angry when we don't.

We have to learn to punish on defence and any chest thumping we do better be because we stopped the opposing O behind the line of scrimmage - not after a 5 yard gain.

I want the excitement of rushing the QB again with the expectation that we will be getting to them.

Did we fill that hole? In a way, we did, by removing the biggest impediment we had last year - the DC.

I'm most excited for the LB corp this year because if they plugged that hole with a gooder, then we've won half the battle we worried about from last year.

At times, last year, I felt we were playing D with only 11 men.

And to me, that's the biggest hole we had.

I heard absolutely nothing about mini-camp aside from Goodrich quitting football.how is that possible? 

You wouldn't even hear about breakfast if he didn't feel that he was screwed out of breakfast as well. All the guy does is whine about how much work he has to put in to cover the Bombers. Well....in a nutshell that's what he does.

Wiecek?  Mesick.

He is absolutely terrible.

Once again, the usual whiners doing the usual whining.

Just covering for Tburg - it's 6am on the coast.

I agree with Mike.  The level of reporting isn't exactly insightful and I'd like a lot more out of our reporters on the scene.  BTW: I'm in Calgary now, no coast anywhere near here.

Stuff I would have loved to have known from mini camp

-- The Bombers held an open tryout on the day before mini camp at IMG and it was reported they moved 6 players from that tryout to mini camp. Who were they?

-- Who have they already signed that was there that looked rough and might be out of a contract?

-- Why were guys like Jarrid Bryant and Nate Collins, who are CFL rookies under contract, not present?

-- Did either of the 2 new quarterbacks do ANYTHING to earn a shot in training camp? There wasn't a single mention of them in any article.

-- These defensive backs or receivers that were impressive sound nice. Do we get to know anything about them other than that they caught the ball or kept someone from catching the ball? Are they slots or wideouts? Corners or halfbacks?

Instead we get absolute ****ing nonsense like this article.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/bombers-impressed-with-new-talent-300892861.html?cx_navSource=d-tiles-1

Look at the headline. "Bombers impressed with new talent"

Now read the entire first part prior to the page break. Literally no mention of a single player, although somehow Wiecek managed to reference Maria Sharapova, talk about breakfast, the cafeteria and Dodgertown.

If you managed to make it past then THEN you get some information on the individual talents out of mini camp, almost entirely pieced together from other articles.

If this was Ed Tait going down there, we'd be spoiled with an entire listing of the mini camp roster, who stood out good and bad by position, a background on each player and probably much more.

Seriously such a joke.

For everyone complaining about the lack of coverage at Mini-Camp, trust me, I'm with you.....but I also understand that with the Jets in playoffs, the media has a pretty clear focus. That's what the majority wants to hear about, so mini-camp is gonna take a back seat. I have no doubts that the Bombers woulda been a little more of a priority if not for Jets playoffs...

For everyone complaining about the lack of coverage at Mini-Camp, trust me, I'm with you.....but I also understand that with the Jets in playoffs, the media has a pretty clear focus. That's what the majority wants to hear about, so mini-camp is gonna take a back seat. I have no doubts that the Bombers woulda been a little more of a priority if not for Jets playoffs...

Doesn't fly with me. Should have nothing to do with the Jets. It's not like the Free Press opted to not send anyone. They sent their regular Bombers beat writer and he did his regular terrible job.

I like the idea of an mbb guy there.. should we start a fundme. or kickstarter. lol

You could probably get the Bombers to match whatever is raised, try to get a bit more publicity to the event. 

We had a similar conversation on the other forum and it quickly turned ridiculous, but it would be great having one of our perspectives in there. Someone who would actually pay attention to what's happening on the field instead of looking for a quote or controversy.