Upcoming Movies

Taynted_Fayth

The LA Times reports that at a recent summit to discuss, among other things, the disparity in salaries between male and female actors, LucasFilm met with four female directors and three female screenwriters to discuss future collaboration on Star Wars.

I see a couple of things there. Firstly, it seems LucasFilm is being conscious about an effort to expand the Star Wars audience among females. From a production perspective, its still an all-male power structure with the exception of Kathleen Kennedy. But it seems the women are more action stars this time around than in the original trilogy. Gwendoline Christie's character has been confirmed as being in Star Wars VIII also.

And ofcourse, this seems like a good effort on the part of a powerful company headed by a woman to expand the roles of women in Hollywood. Im all for it.

It just isn't going to happen...

Look at the major backlash for the new Ghostbusters movie....

Interesting reaction from Lucas about seeing the new Star Wars film:

Lucas was on hand at the Kennedy Center Honors where the director was being honored for his achievements in arts and culture. Lucas was asked in person when seeing the new 'Star Wars' film saying,

"I think the fans are going to love it. It's very much the kind of movie they've been looking for."

Lucas talked about going to the premiere for the new film saying:

"I gotta go to the wedding. My ex will be there, my new wife will be there, but I’m going to have to take a very deep breath and be a good person and sit through it and just enjoy the moment, because it is what it is and it’s a conscious decision that I made.”

"Star Wars: The Force Awakens" is nearly upon with ten days to go until its theatrical release set for next Friday. A new TV spot has been aired in preparation for the new film showing new scenes that include actors Harrison Ford, John Boyega, and Daisy Ridley.

The Legend of Tarzan looks interesting.

The film is directed by David Yates and stars Alexander Skarsgård, Margot Robbie, Samuel L. Jackson, Christoph Waltz, and Djimon Hounsou. It has been years since the man once known as Tarzan (Skarsgård) left the jungles of Africa behind for a gentrified life as John Clayton III, Lord Greystoke, with his beloved wife, Jane (Robbie) at his side. Now, he has been invited back to the Congo to serve as a trade emissary of Parliament, unaware that he is a pawn in a deadly convergence of greed and revenge, masterminded by the Belgian, Captain Leon Rom (Waltz). But those behind the murderous plot have no idea what they are about to unleash.

highly recommended star trek clone italian, on youtube

star crash..... really funny, and a very beautiful actress starring in it.... very easy on the eyes....

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/starcrash/

review

"The single greatest sci-fi camp fest ever put on celluloid. This film boasts the perfect blend of goofy cheese and unhinged imagination."

The timeline of the X-Men films confuses me.  I think I own the entire series though so perhaps Ill have to review

I think they are treating Wolverine going back in time as a reboot as they had to reboot as the actors are getting old. Makes more sense than the Star Trek reboot. But have they recast someone as Wolverine?

The timeline of the X-Men films confuses me.  I think I own the entire series though so perhaps Ill have to review

I think they are treating Wolverine going back in time as a reboot as they had to reboot as the actors are getting old. Makes more sense than the Star Trek reboot. But have they recast someone as Wolverine?

I have a sneaking suspicion Hugh Jackman might make a cameo in this film.  He said the upcoming Wolverine film would be his last.

Im liked the Days of Future Past film and how they managed to combine the two different X-Men eras.  It was just odd in how Wolverine returned to "present" and everything was different and the film franchise continues...but from the 70's. 

And I agree about Star Trek.  They screwed the pooch big time.  I've exchanged "pleasantries" with writer Bob Orci about those Trek films several times.

Hugh Jackman is making a cameo in X-Men.  I've read it in a few places.  That being said, that trailer was boring.

@Frosty, wtf was that first trailer?  Godzilla?

And that Chinese International trailer for Star Wars was TOTALLY AWESOME!  When I saw it this week I thought it was probably the best trailer yet.

Im almost tempted to go into lockdown mode on Star Wars info for the final week.  I have tickets to afternoon showing on Friday.  Im a sucker for spoilers but.... I anticipate a few surprises and/or twists and it would be cool to not know going in.

Unlike say, Star Trek Into Darkness where they kept the Khan twist a secret and it was beyond stupid. 

Im almost tempted to go into lockdown mode on Star Wars info for the final week.  I have tickets to afternoon showing on Friday.  Im a sucker for spoilers but.... I anticipate a few surprises and/or twists and it would be cool to not know going in.

Unlike say, Star Trek Into Darkness where they kept the Khan twist a secret and it was beyond stupid. 

It was as much a secret as Christoph Walsh being Blofeld in spectre. They tried to deny it but everyone knew the story before the movie came out. 

It was as much a secret as Christoph Walsh being Blofeld in spectre. They tried to deny it but everyone knew the story before the movie came out. 

Funny enough, I saw it twice in the theater.  First showing was the hardcore fans who would have known or strongly suspected he was Khan and they reacted by laughing.  The scene was so poorly done.  The second time I saw it, was more of a casual audience and the reaction was a mix of silence and "Whaaaat...." in a confused way like they had heard of Khan from the original and knew this was stupid.

Best part is, when the film came out, Orci went off on fans who were critical.  He continued to insult fans ever since.  But recently, the other writers and even Abrams himself admitted the story/script was bad and Khan was a mistake.  Orci ended up getting fired from the third Trek film as writer & director.  Unfortunate because his story included William Shatner which would be awesome to see.

So you see SW7 and ST3 trailer.

Casting Joe White as Khan...now THAT was beyond stupid.

So you see SW7 and ST3 trailer.

Casting Joe White as Khan...now THAT was beyond stupid.

Yes, hoping our local theatres keep ST3 trailer attached to Star Wars.  For STID, I actually went to see that incredibly boring Hobbit film just for the special "preview" of STID that was attached.

According to Orci, they wanted to avoid casting someone that looked Middle Eastern (or latino passing as Middle Eastern like Ricardo Montalban in the original) for political reasons.  Orci is a truther and thought having a character (Khan) portrayed as a terrorist AND be Middle Eastern was just too much.  When asked if he would change Lincoln's ethnicity, he sarcastically remarked that one is real and the other is fiction.  Which shows his lack of respect for the source material.

The bigger issue with Khan is that Orci didnt want Khan, Damon Lindeloff did.  They write the film as if "Khan" was not Khan and then decided it would fit after all.  So in hindsight it;s not wonder this Khan was nothing like the original.  Although most of the characters are nothing like the originals which is again, a lack of understanding and respect of the source material by the writers.  Captain Pike was the best character and he was essentially an original character for these purposes, making him easier to write.

Side note, Benicio Del Toro had been close to the Khan role but dropped out last minute.  So at least initially, they were following the Ricardo Montalban route.  The other aspect to STID that made it flop was, as I mentioned, Orci is a truther.  The plot is a pretty obvious War on Terror analogy with Admiral Marcus as Cheney and Khan as Osama-style "terrorist" with the message that "we" are the bad guys and the "bad guys" are sympathetic.  Trek is great when commenting on modern issues and War on Terror was relevant.  But Orci couldnt write a fleshed out story, he couldnt make us believe "Cheney" acted from a place of legitimate concern.  And thus, the plot collapsed on itself.  It was simply Anti-American.  The riff on Wrath of Khan at the end was icing on the cake of a lousy story. The "death" scene that was undone moments later, the Spock sobbing over the death of his recent friend more so than he did over his mother, the idea that Trans-Warp makes ships obsolete and Magic Blood eliminates death...all of it awful.  A junior high creative writing class could have done better.

Star Fast & Trek Furious.

Funny, even Trek fans are defending it as "its a trailer so it has to be all action".  Not so.  Star Trek really is dead.  They slapped the brand on a new franchise that has little in common with the original concept.  And Im not saying making Star Trek: Insurrection in 2015 but Star Trek as a brand and concept has a lot going for it.

William Shatner also confirmed he is not in it.  So the 50th Anniversary contains no originals.  When Shatner passes there will be a lot of consternation over how the studio treated him.  How many other 50 year old franchises still have their biggest star working and able to and wanting to appear?  is Sean Connery wanted to be in James Bond, do you think they'd do it?  (they did, in fact, want him for Skyfall and he declined due to retirement).

Do you think Star Wars will use Harrison Ford and Mark Hamil?  Oh right...

Im almost tempted to go into lockdown mode on Star Wars info for the final week. I have tickets to afternoon showing on Friday. Im a sucker for spoilers but.... I anticipate a few surprises and/or twists and it would be cool to not know going in.

Guess I don't need to go watch Spectre now.

Im almost tempted to go into lockdown mode on Star Wars info for the final week. I have tickets to afternoon showing on Friday. Im a sucker for spoilers but.... I anticipate a few surprises and/or twists and it would be cool to not know going in.

Guess I don't need to go watch Spectre now.

Yikes, I missed it the first time and you reposted it. Not sure who to hate :)