New guys - High hopes? Low hopes?

Mike

Looks like a lot of our new faces for the season have been signed by now. With mini camp this weekend, I'm sure we'll hear about a few more. Another thing I think the Bombers are doing that's really smart is they're holding an open tryout on Saturday at IMG Academy for prospects to "play their way" into the main mini camp. In town already, really smart move to run that tryout.

Anyways ... wondering who everyone has their eyes on for the new recruits. Anyone you have high expectations for? No expectations whatsoever?

I'm really curious to see REC Toney Clemons at mini camp, he's a guy I think is going to compete for a roster spot. DT Nate Collins and LB/DB Demetrius Wright are two other guys that I'm excited to see. High hopes for both of those guys.

On the other side, I have a few guys - REC Tyrone Goard, REC Kashif Montgomery and DB Sam Miller - pegged as guys I'm not expecting much from.

There are other guys, particularly guys like Dan DePalma, Keon Lyn and Gabe Lynn, that I think are good prospects but I just don't know where we have room for them on the team. They'll be in tough, but they're not by any means fodder.

I like the guys you mentioned, and I'm also interested to see David Mims. Walters said they've been trying to get this guy to Winnipeg for a few years now. Must be somewhat intriguing if they've kept him on the neg list that long.

He's not new, but I'm excited to see what a healthy Thaddeus Gibson brings.

Looks like the best group of players challenging for jobs that we  have seen in many a moon. Training camp will be very interesting.

Decided to make the trip out from Calgary for the opening weekend of full camp (June 5th weekend) to check it out. Think it's going to be one of the most hotly contested camps in recent memory...

Maybe I've missed something but I don't see any top credentialed international middle linebackers signed for that critical position; I did see a couple of fellows signed to play that position but it was not impressed with what I read.

As far as I'm concerned the most important position to recruit for is that middle linebacker spot; we need a leader and star calling the shots from there.

Could it be that we are planning to use our top draft pick to pick a middle linebacker?

Maybe I've missed something but I don't see any top credentialed international middle linebackers signed for that critical position; I did see a couple of fellows signed to play that position but it was not impressed with what I read.

As far as I'm concerned the most important position to recruit for is that middle linebacker spot; we need a leader and star calling the shots from there.

Could it be that we are planning to use our top draft pick to pick a middle linebacker?

LBs are a position of concern, but the Bombers have signed some very interesting MLB prospects over the past few months. Have you not been paying attention to the signings?

In addition, Sam Hurl is a possible option at MLB.

We won't be using the first round pick on a Canadian MLB.

For new guys this year alone

MLB Shamari Benton, WR Tony Clemons, and DB Demetrius Wright are my top three so far.

DT Nate Collins, MLB Tra'Shaun Nixon, and DE Derrell Johnson Pique my interest as well but not quite as much

I still have a bunch of guys from last year that I really like and think are going to step it up this year too

Just to rundown the names of the newcomers currently listed on the roster.

HB/CB

Adams, Johnny
Miller, Sam
Van Dyke, David

DB/LB (SAM?)

Lyn, Keon
Bryant, Jarrid
Lynn, Gabe
Wright, Demetrius

DE

Oxendine, Justin
Johnson, Derrell

DT

Collins, Nate

LB

Bass, Khalil
Benton, Shamari
Nixon, TraShaun
Lamar, Rodney

OG

Griffiths, Thomas
Everett, Quinn

OT

Mims, David
Sanders, Zebrie

RB

Scott, Da'Rel
Randle, Bradley

REC

Hector, Derrick
Goard, Tyrone
Montgomery, Kashif
Clemons, Toney
Ja'mes Logan?

Goodrich, Kurt
Reaves, Jordan

I think it's a very good list so far and added some guys on the IR/PR last year, there's a good chance some of the incumbent will be in tough (replaced on the starting roster, traded or get released).

Without anything to go off of other than highlight tapes and online scouting reports ...

I'd say our recruiting class thus far looks solid, not spectacular, although it appears lacking in a few areas. I know we always need pass catchers and I like Clemons a lot and to some extent, I'm intrigued by Hector and Logan. The group of linebackers has a lot of healthy competition but other than Wright and Benton, I'm not wowed. Seems like we have a lot of competition for the secondary which puzzles me as our depth there is solid, although with the new rules, maybe they are looking for guys more equipped to play that style. There's always the possibility that guys like Jarrid Bryant and Keon Lyn are here for the SAM competition as well - that seems fairly likely.

The one spot I'm really disappointed in thus far is the rush end spot. We only have two bodies there to challenge Vega and Peach. I'm really hoping we bring a boatload to mini camp and move a couple more onto the main camp because we sure as hell need them.

Looks like the best group of players challenging for jobs that we  have seen in many a moon. Training camp will be very interesting.

We say this every ******* year...

Not really, during the Joe Mack reign of error, training camps were dull with few potential stars emerging or even pitched battles between talented players.

Looks like the best group of players challenging for jobs that we have seen in many a moon. Training camp will be very interesting.

We say this every ******* year...

Not really, during the Joe Mack reign of error, training camps were dull with few potential stars emerging or even pitch battles between talented players.

Aside from 2013, there was always plenty of good American talent in our training camps under Mack. Especially at receiver and defensive back.