New guys - High hopes? Low hopes?

Mike

Say what you will about mack but he found lots of American talent. Hall. Wild. Sears. Washington. Matthews. Denmark. The list goes on really. Turner. Anderson. On and on really.

Mack's fault was in picking coaches and, debatably, may have had trouble with the CIS Draft, but you absolutely can not say he didn't bring in high competition in the form of Import talent. Far better than what we've seen so far from MOS/KW regime, tho that's understandably a limited comparison...

Say what you will about mack but he found lots of American talent. Hall. Wild. Sears. Washington. Matthews. Denmark. The list goes on really. Turner. Anderson. On and on really.

Mack's fault was in picking coaches and, debatably, may have had trouble with the CIS Draft, but you absolutely can not say he didn't bring in high competition in the form of Import talent. Far better than what we've seen so far from MOS/KW regime, tho that's understandably a limited comparison...

Yeah Walters has a long way to go to be on the same level as Mack when it comes to recruiting American players. The failing for Mack was expecting rookies to come in and be coached up very quickly AND hiring very poor coaches. 

Walters has focussed more on free agents and talking a good game about the draft. This year is a big year to see if his scouting department can get the job done. 

@DarrinBauming: Another new linebacker #Bombers have brought in is Darrell Johnson. Ran a 4.61 40 at 6'1" 257lbs during his East Carolina pro day in 2014.

Didn't they announce this guy a week ago?

Yup. I think he was just talking about the guy, not reporting a signing.

I would rather have a guy with a eye for Canadian talent then American

Not sure we have either one right now.

PROVE ME WRONG KYLE

Uh. Pretty sure kyle has more knowledge in national players in his pinky then mack has in his entre body and would go as far as saying he is on par or ahead of a few of the CFL GMs currently..

PROVE ME WRONG KYLE

Uh. Pretty sure kyle has more knowledge in national players in his pinky then mack has in his entre body and would go as far as saying he is on par or ahead of a few of the CFL GMs currently..

You can go so far as saying anything you like. Doesn't make it so though. Until he proves it, how good an assessor of CDN talent that Walters is remains an unknown.

PROVE ME WRONG KYLE

He hasn't proven anything yet.

I would rather have a guy that can do both, you know...like most of the other GMs.

Yeah, I'm not sure having 25% of your starting lineup really strong and 75% kinda meh is a formula for success.

Every GM we've had has demonstrated some positives and some negatives.  What with them being human and all...

I would rather have a guy that can do both, you know...like most of the other GMs.

Yeah, I'm not sure having 25% of your starting lineup really strong and 75% kinda meh is a formula for success.

Every GM we've had has demonstrated some positives and some negatives.  What with them being human and all...

Pff lame humans.

Pff lame humans.

When the robot revolution comes, all will be better. I, for one, will welcome our new overlords.

Pff lame humans.

When the robot revolution comes, all will be better. I, for one, will welcome our new overlords.

I'd like to remind them as a trusted (not really) media source, I can be used to round up others, to use as workers in their underground lairs...

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/Bombers-looking-to-repeat-the-first-six-games-of-last-season-not-the-last-12-300684471.html

BRADENTON, FL. -- Winnipeg Blue Bombers offensive coordinator Marcel Bellefeuille thinks a dramatically upgraded Bombers offensive line should have the club’s offence in 2015 looking a lot more like it did during the first six weeks of last season than it did through the last twelve.

That will come as great news for Bombers fans, who had high expectations for their team after a 5-1 start last season only to see their hopes dashed as the Bombers limped to a 2-10 finish and missed the playoffs for the fifth time in the last six years.

Bellefeuille says his review of last season found that Bombers starting QB Drew Willy was at his most successful when his protection was at its best during the first six weeks of the year. "When I looked at the first five wins of the year last year when he was protected, we averaged 33 points a game on offence -- 33-plus, actually, in those five wins. And we protected very well.

"And then we had a couple injuries to two Canadians at receiver and on the offensive line and things progressively got worse from there."

Bellefeuille made the comments here Monday morning at the IMG Academy on what is Day 2 of the Bombers annual three-day spring mini-training camp.

It will in all likelihood be the only time Bombers fans hear from the man who will be running the Bombers offence for the third season. Bombers head coach Mike O’Shea does not allow his coordinators or assistants to speak to the media but makes one exception during spring mini-camp.

Bellefeuille says the off-season additions of tackles Stanley Bryant and Marc Dile and centre Dominic Picard should both improve the protection of Willy and also bolster the Bombers running game -- two areas the Bombers are going to have to improve upon in 2015 if they hope to get anywhere near the Grey Cup they’re hosting this November.

"A lot of it is clear -- we need to be better at protecting the quarterback and better at running the ball and everything else will flow from there," said Bellefeuille. "If you want to say, it’s 1a and 1b -- protecting him better and being more efficient running the football."

Winnipeg gave up the most sacks in the CFL last season and were second last in rushing yards.

While the Bombers are now deep in offensive linemen, they are hoping this week to find some receivers and some running backs among the 52 players they brought to this camp, almost all of whom -- with the exception of the club’s veteran contingent of four quarterbacks -- are either CFL rookies or close to it.

Bellefeuille said he has been impressed with all three running backs the Bombers are working out down here: Bradley Randle (UNLV), Carlos Anderson (Northern Iowa) and Da’Rel Scott (Maryland).

"All three running backs have shown great promise -- they’re all quick, fast and can run routes coming out of the backfield and give you more dynamic on the offence.

"Those guys have been really good. And there’s probably three or four receivers we’re still evaluating that have an opportunity to come in and compete for legitimate jobs."

On the defensive side of the ball, sources say the club has been very impressed so far with the play of Derrell Jackson, who played outside linebacker at East Carolina but who is getting a long hard look this week at rush end.

The Bombers haven’t had a dominant pass rusher since Alex Hall was traded to Saskatchewan midway through the 2013 season and Jackson -- who had brief NFL stints in camp with Miami and Arizona -- has likely already shown enough here this week to earn his invite to Winnipeg’s main training camp.

Jackson says his skills are well suited to being a rush end. "I’d definitely say so -- just my explosiveness and ability to get off the ball, use my technique and speed, my quickness, my hands -- all that stuff."

The Bombers practiced here Monday morning and have another practice session Monday afternoon. The club will hold one final practice Tuesday morning before dispersing.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/Bombers-looking-to-repeat-the-first-six-games-of-last-season-not-the-last-12-300684471.html

It will in all likelihood be the only time Bombers fans hear from the man who will be running the Bombers offence for the third season. Bombers head coach Mike O’Shea does not allow his coordinators or assistants to speak to the media but makes one exception during spring mini-camp.

Funny - no author shows up here, yet I'm willing to wager soooooooooooooooo much money that this was written by Wiecek.  What a petulant ass.

Funny - no author shows up here, yet I'm willing to wager soooooooooooooooo much money that this was written by Wiecek.  What a petulant ass.

Sorry, that's my bad -- it is absolutely Wiecek because he's the only FP guy down there. And yes, what a whiny *****. 

His article about Wylie also complained about this issue. They both came out on the same day...

I wonder if Wiecek ever takes a look in the mirror and asks himself why the Winnipeg media doesn't get respect from the football club.

I bet you Drew Edwards would be allowed to interview the assistants here. I bet you Scott Mitchell would too.

I feel bad for Penton. He deserves respect that he probably doesn't get because of guys like Wiecek.