Next: Who is going to FA, who is not .... Priorities

BigBlue

Would have been nice to get Desia Dunn under contract at a moderate price especially now that Sears is likely not returning.  I know Dunn has his haters in this room but he is a reliable, consistent, steady player that rarely got burned. I'd hoped the Bombers would have rolled with him until his replacement was obvious.  Too much turn-over in the LB core is disconcerting especially with no sign of a CFL proven MLB heading this way.  Dunn was one of Tim Burke's favourites so I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with the Argos.

Would have been nice to get Desia Dunn under contract at a moderate price especially now that Sears is likely not returning.  I know Dunn has his haters in this room but he is a reliable, consistent, steady player that rarely got burned. I'd hoped the Bombers would have rolled with him until his replacement was obvious.  Too much turn-over in the LB core is disconcerting especially with no sign of a CFL proven MLB heading this way.  Dunn was one of Tim Burke's favourites so I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with the Argos.

LB has not been a position of strength for the post-2008 Bombers. I don't mind the idea of a whole new LB corps, and hopefully find some true gems from it. 

Wild was a tackling machine and I'd have loved him back, but I think we can find a good WIL, and a good SAM that doesn't lead the league in penalties, and doesn't play with so much reckless abandon that he hurts himself routinely.

There's no sense in filling every hole we have in free agency. These guys are going to want upfront money. Trust your scouting.

We need a LT - I want experience there, get Bryant.

We need three linebackers, maybe four if you want a DI - Fill one or maybe two holes here to get some experience.

We need a receiver - If the price is right, sure. Otherwise trust your scouting.

We need to have breathing room for rookies to come in and make impacts as well.

There's no sense in filling every hole we have in free agency. These guys are going to want upfront money. Trust your scouting.

We need three linebackers, maybe four if you want a DI - Fill one or maybe two holes here to get some experience.

We need a receiver - If the price is right, sure. Otherwise trust your scouting.

Unfortunately, most of our needs this year were also needs going to camp last year. If our scouting was where we need it to be, I doubt that we'd be sitting here discussing a guy like Earnest Jackson.

Unfortunately, most of our needs this year were also needs going to camp last year. If our scouting was where we need it to be, I doubt that we'd be sitting here discussing a guy like Earnest Jackson.

It was a thrown together, first year scouting department. They get a pass for last year. This is their first full year, and I expect to see much better results...

Agree with this x1000. 

LT with CFL experience has to be a priority.  Maybe a starting and some depth Canadians, at decent prices. 

There's tremendous resistance to starting a rookie (no matter how good they look in practice) at the expense of a veteran with a large salary/bonus.  No GM wants to look like he signed a contract that has become a sunk cost (see: BANKS, Korey).

Agree with this x1000. 

LT with CFL experience has to be a priority.  Maybe a starting and some depth Canadians, at decent prices. 

There's tremendous resistance to starting a rookie (no matter how good they look in practice) at the expense of a veteran with a large salary/bonus.  No GM wants to look like he signed a contract that has become a sunk cost (see: BANKS, Korey).

I don't think we need to worry about contract size determining who plays. Banks is living proof of that. I have no problem with the Bombers shopping in FA only to find better in scouting. As long as the signings don't come with a big upfront payment let's go shopping. I do realize that the upper level FA's will require big upfront bonuses but guys like Bryant etc aren't really an issue to start I wouldn't think.

It's the medium class that we need to be wary of.

Why do you say that?... Both Rene Curran and Brian Peters have been rumoured as targets for the Bombers...

Good point.  I like Curran but don't see Peters as being a solution at MLB although he would be a fine addition on the outside.  Richie Hall may convince Walters to pursue Peters vigorously but there is still a decent chance Peters will be receiving NFL offers so the Bombers should proceed with caution.

Curran is currently sitting behind JC Sherritt on the Esks. depth chart and he's not getting any younger so I believe he is going to move.  Depending on the competition Bombers have a good shot but he may also be attractive to the Riders and the ORB's.

I like Curran, and he's only 26 so he has some prime years ahead of him

I actually think he is the better linebacker than Sherritt as well

I like Curran, and he's only 26 so he has some prime years ahead of him

I actually think he is the better linebacker than Sherritt as well

Certainly more durable as well.

Walters just said he had a verbal agreement with Sears and then he changed his mind last night. Walters also confirmed January has been told he won't be back with Bombers as they're going in a different direction.

"with Sears and then he changed his mind"

Sears changed his mind?

Or was it Walters?

Walters just said he had a verbal agreement with Sears and then he changed his mind last night. Walters also confirmed January has been told he won't be back with Bombers as they're going in a different direction.

"with Sears and then he changed his mind"

Sears changed his mind?

Or was it Walters?

Sears changed his mind. Bob said Bombers offered $135k but another GM spoke to his agent and offered more so Sears backed out.