Next: Who is going to FA, who is not .... Priorities

BigBlue

In my eyes Desjardins is the wild card in free agency this year, doesn't seem like Ottawa has done near enough to improve their club over this off-season through conventional methods so it looks like they will key on free agents.  If Marcel is in the mood to spend the idiotic amounts of money he reportedly offered Dressler last year on O-linmen and receivers the Bombers may have to to offer unprecedented sums to acquire assets or settle for crumbs that fall off the bidding table.  As the cream of the free agency crop is quickly evaporating, I'm not sure it's worth over-bidding to acquire any of the players now heading towards free-agency.  If they can be picked up at a fair market price great, but it may be wiser to hold money in reserve for NFL rejects or the hopeful return of one of the long awaited like Bilkudi, Mulamba, et all.

There are so many uncertainties that it must be insanely difficult for Walters to plan his roster for the upcoming season. If Billukidi or Mulumba show up, we would be happy, but if both somehow are here, we would be overjoyed, and all the roster plans go right out the window.

Our needs remain the same: two, maybe three offesive linemen, a dominant pass rusher or two, one or two linebackers, a good canuck receiver, and a sturdy import receiver of the Denmark quality.

I'm thinking Brian Peters will be our new MLB, SirVincent Rogers will be our new LT, and we will also sign Sam Hurl, Spencer Watt, Anthony Woodson, and re-sign Johnny Sears.

Woodson????been there dun that,,,no thanx. I like the rest of the acquisitions though. Sounds like Sears is coming back. Walters says there in negotiations and should get it done.

In my eyes Desjardins is the wild card in free agency this year, doesn't seem like Ottawa has done near enough to improve their club over this off-season through conventional methods so it looks like they will key on free agents.  If Marcel is in the mood to spend the idiotic amounts of money he reportedly offered Dressler last year on O-linmen and receivers the Bombers may have to to offer unprecedented sums to acquire assets or settle for crumbs that fall off the bidding table.  As the cream of the free agency crop is quickly evaporating, I'm not sure it's worth over-bidding to acquire any of the players now heading towards free-agency.  If they can be picked up at a fair market price great, but it may be wiser to hold money in reserve for NFL rejects or the hopeful return of one of the long awaited like Bilkudi, Mulamba, et all.

Walters has to make some kind of splash in free agency this year. At least make it look like the Bomber organization is serious about improving as people are tired of the constant losing.Taking it slow & easy building thru the draft over a number of years may be the mantra he is  preaching but let's be honest... the Bombers have to be a playoff team this season. Missing the playoffs will be a huge blow to everyone as we're hosting the Grey Cup. Taking it slow has been the death of many GM's & head coaches on many teams in all of pro sports not matter what league because most GMs don't get 5 or more years to work their plan as they've been fired.

Patience is at a premium in Winnipeg as fans want to see marked improvement not another season of the team spinning its wheels. Certainly not Mike O'Shea if they go thru another 5 or 6 game winning season as he may be gone in 2016. Free agency is but one of the options the Bombers need to build a true winner & they have to be able to sign the players they covet. We're not the Stampeders with a loaded roster where they can say that free agency isn't the way they want to go as they have better players on their roster than any of the free agents that will be out there. We're light years away still from being close to the Calgary Stampeders in depth & talent. They can afford to be picky as well as conservative when it comes to free agency, we can't as we have just too many holes to fill.

If signing free agents means the Bombers have to spend money they don't want to then so be it. Walters needs to target the players he wants & then go get them whether it's just a single player or a half dozen. Personally as  fan, I'm tired of the excuses. If not being willing to spend the money is one of them I won't be happy. 

The fact that we immediatley signed Picard to a 2 year deal worth $195k per season tells me Walters is willing to spend. At first I thought $195k for Picard was an overpay, but after thinking about it, that's market value. Tells me Walters has a good sense of the market. I've got a good feeling about February 10 with Walters at the helm.

I'm thinking Brian Peters will be our new MLB, SirVincent Rogers will be our new LT, and we will also sign Sam Hurl, Spencer Watt, Anthony Woodson, and re-sign Johnny Sears.

I have high hopes for Benton... I think Peters will be our WLB if we do sign him...

I have high hopes for Benton... I think Peters will be our WLB if we do sign him...

Hypothetically speaking... Would newman get consideration as WIL? Not sure I'm comfortable with him as MAC but at WIL I thought he could be in the running..

I wonder if rotating Newman and Briggs at WIL along with some reps for Thomas at DT is the plan?

I agree with Iso, Walters needs to spend. Bryant or Rodgers at a minimum plus other pieces.

I'd give Bryant/Rodgers the money Walters had allocated for Heenan; $200k to 225K should get it done with one of them. 

Interesting from the Tait article that Goodrich was listed as one of our ni receivers.

Good news as long as he doesn't retire.

Wrong thread tracker.

Sorry, I was out of balance but now i have a good grip in all seasons.

I'm glad you've taken a turn for the better…a stud like you, has to take care of himself.

I asked Ed Tait - the reason he listed Kurt Goodrich on that article is because the Bombers asked him to. He'll be in camp. Great news.

Thanks for clearing that up Mike.... really appreciate it!
His Twitter has the bomber logo featured prominently, and his last tweet says simply "bomb squad". Safe to say he is signed.

I agree that he's likely to be in Bomber camp, but the Winnipeg Rifles and Bombers have almost the exact same logo; pretty sure Goodrich has he Rifles logo on his Twitter.

I asked Ed Tait - the reason he listed Kurt Goodrich on that article is because the Bombers asked him to. He'll be in camp. Great news.

Thanks for clearing that up Mike.... really appreciate it!
His Twitter has the bomber logo featured prominently, and his last tweet says simply "bomb squad". Safe to say he is signed.

I agree that he's likely to be in Bomber camp, but the Winnipeg Rifles and Bombers have almost the exact same logo; pretty sure Goodrich has he Rifles logo on his Twitter.

Doh! Need more coffee.