Next: Who is going to FA, who is not .... Priorities

BigBlue

This "players are human - not just money seeking monsters" tack is cute.

Of course I recognize a player is in control of where they sign.  If OL free agents (especially Heenan and Holmes) don't want to come to WPG, they won't.  And I realize that a backup plan is necessary because we won't get everything on our shopping list.

I also realize this about players: Opportunity and Money are missions 1a and 1b; sometimes in this order, sometimes in reverse.  If you can offer both, and offer the appropriate term for the player, you're in the ballpark.  Only then does this cute notion that "playing close to home" is a major consideration come into play.  "Human" factors I don't think are as big of a deal as some posters on this board believe.  Sure you can point to LaBatte as example 1a; but reportedly we (and possibly others) were in the same ballpark as the Riders on money and opportunity. 

This regime seems intent on paying what the market demands to fix our OL and CanCon problems, and frankly, accepting any other result if Heenan and/or Holmes reaches free agency would be unacceptable.  If Sask's willing to offer $250,000 to Heenan, how much more do we have to pay to get around any desire to remain "close to home."  I get that we're cheap Winnipeggers and don't want to overpay... but to get the most valuable CFL assets outside of QB's (marquee NI linemen)... we need to do what needs to be done. 

Not think about how we're going to allocate that money if we fail.

This regime seems intent on paying what the market demands to fix our OL and CanCon problems, and frankly, accepting any other result if Heenan and/or Holmes reaches free agency would be unacceptable.  If Sask's willing to offer $250,000 to Heenan, how much more do we have to pay to get around any desire to remain "close to home."  I get that we're cheap Winnipeggers and don't want to overpay... but to get the most valuable CFL assets outside of QB's (marquee NI linemen)... we need to do what needs to be done. 

What makes you think we even get a chance to match a better offer?  Say Sask throws down 250 and we offer 260, Taman says "275 if you sign right now."  Maybe we are willing to best 275 and maybe we never get a chance to do so.  It's not just an open auction floor where the highest bid wins.

What makes you think we even get a chance to match a better offer?  Say Sask throws down 250 and we offer 260, Taman says "275 if you sign right now."  Maybe we are willing to best 275 and maybe we never get a chance to do so.  It's not just an open auction floor where the highest bid wins.

We can do everything right and still not win.  Unfortunately.

But I don't think we'll come away completely empty handed on the Oline front; it just might not be the H's everyone is hoping for.

I imagine Walters FA board would look somewhat like flowchart:          

Player A - Yes - sign and pump fists

Player A - No  - pursue player B 

Player B - Yes - sign and high five

Player B - No - pursue players C & D

Players C & D - Yes - a thumbs up

Players C & D - only one yes, a so-so wave of the hand..keep going

We should be able to sign a min. of 2 pretty good players and be able to stay away from spending a ridiculous amount of money on Players J-O-K-and E

I really don't see the need to chase import receivers- they are relatively easy for scouts to find and Denmark and whats-his-name (if he can stay off the D/L) are pretty good and we have at least one CFL-quality receiver now. As far as O-linemen are concerned, it all comes down to Neufeld, and Walters has to know by now whether he's healed enough to be a fixture on the line or not. Or if he will simply be good enough to be a starter.

If we can land Holmes, Neufeld likely gets bumped back to 6th OL... a role I think he is suited to due to his tackle and guard experience.  If we get Heenan but not Holmes, Neufeld probably continues to start.

In any case, I don't see much of a role remaining here for Steve Morley, outside of "depth guy".  Possibly keep him around on the 46 but not on the active roster until injuries dictate it.  You could stow him on the IR but I'm not sure if he would accept that because there are probably a couple OL's that would be happy to have him... namely the one in BC.  Also as a starting Canadian OL for the last 5 years he probably makes decent coin and I'm not sure if its feasible for the Bombers to be paying a guy that much to sit on the IR.  Obviously the 6-game doesn't count against the cap but there are real dollars & cents concerns as well.

I really don't see the need to chase import receivers- they are relatively easy for scouts to find and Denmark and whats-his-name (if he can stay off the D/L) are pretty good and we have at least one CFL-quality receiver now. As far as O-linemen are concerned, it all comes down to Neufeld, and Walters has to know by now whether he's healed enough to be a fixture on the line or not. Or if he will simply be good enough to be a starter.

Except our scouts didn't find any last year and we used Romby Bryant and Aaron Kelly in the position last year. 

Receivers should be easy to find but we haven't seen the ability from this scouting staff to find them yet. 

We can do everything right and still not win.  Unfortunately.

But I don't think we'll come away completely empty handed on the Oline front; it just might not be the H's everyone is hoping for.

Technically speaking, we already have with landing dom.

Except our scouts didn't find any last year and we used Romby Bryant and Aaron Kelly in the position last year. 

Receivers should be easy to find but we haven't seen the ability from this scouting staff to find them yet. 

Walters has to be lighting a fire under our scouts this year- they have not covered themselves with glory this past year and I expected better from McManus and company. If Kelly can stay healthy, Denmark has another year like the one just past in spite of the quarterback problems,and  Kohlert gets a bit better, we should be able to find or draft a good Canuck for the last spot. Problem solved.

Walters has to be lighting a fire under our scouts this year- they have not covered themselves with glory this past year and I expected better from McManus and company. If Kelly can stay healthy, Denmark has another year like the one just past in spite of the quarterback problems,and Kohlert gets a bit better, we should be able to find or draft a good Canuck for the last spot. Problem solved.
Kelly is a free agent and I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't back with the Bombers in 2015.

The scouting wasn't really in place yet which explains a lot of the riff raff that found it's way here, at least that's Walters excuse for it.

The scouting wasn't really in place yet which explains a lot of the riff raff that found it's way here, at least that's Walters excuse for it.

But no one was brought in midseason at receiver either. They get another year to try and do better but make no mistake they must do better than they did last year. 

If we're going for Imports, I'm hoping for Bowman and Reed. I don't think we need another Rec.

competition between McGuffie and Jackson, as well as some new recruits should wield us a decent third rec for the year.... maybe even a guy that could be more.

Wouldn't mind a guy like Hickman, But I think between Booker, Fraser and Vega, as well as recruits, we should have some pretty good depth there as well.