Riders release; Bombers sign Dominic Picard

gbill2004

Apparently Ben Heenan and Pat Neufeld are best friends. The plot thickens...

Former teammates Willy and Picard are now here.  The plot does thicken.

Anyone know a Winnipeg girl who's willing to flirt with Heenan online for the next 2 months?

Anyone willing to pretend to be a Winnipeg girl and is willing to flirt with Heenan online for the next 2 months?

I thiink I can convince Logan007 to step up to the plate and take one for the team ..

HiLARious!

IF we offer the kind of money that Lawless is saying we may/ should/could offer, then the riders are going to have a helluva job holding on to Heenan, no matter how many burger joints in Regina offer up as a signing incentive. Don't forget we have Bucks whole hog and Obies fare to tantalize the big o line guy. Regina has nothing on us...period.lol

This whole added value in Regina thing is just a myth created by Rider fans anyway. Not in Heenan's case, because he is a hometown boy but with other prospective players. Rider fans have created this myth that if you come to Regina there are tons of businesses that are lining up to throw cash at the players creating this huge advantage for them. The truth is that every city that cares about the CFL can offer the exact same perks through there alumni, booster, and corporate sponsors. Players in Regina make no more money off the field or have any more perks extended than in say Winnipeg or Calgary, In fact, in many cases they offer less because of a smaller market size.

if we sign heenan or holmes what are the chances of us starting 5 cnd olinemen this year?

Zilch. We need a starting left tackle and there aren't many Canadians in the league who can play that position

Isn't Heenan a tackle?

I wouldn't be confident with Heenan penciled in at left tackle.

If anything, you could go to camp with the plan to have him at guard or right tackle and if he steals the blind side spot, great, but you don't assume.

if we sign heenan or holmes what are the chances of us starting 5 cnd olinemen this year?

Zilch. We need a starting left tackle and there aren't many Canadians in the league who can play that position

Isn't Heenan a tackle?

I wouldn't be confident with Heenan penciled in at left tackle.

If anything, you could go to camp with the plan to have him at guard or right tackle and if he steals the blind side spot, great, but you don't assume.

obviously. I'm just thinking best possible situation after camp.

I'd pass on Picard only because i don't think he's as good as he once was and i doubt he accept  what i'd offer him. What would i offer him? No signing bonus but a chance to win the job at training camp, one would assume he wouldn't accept that. If he would be willing to take a lesser deal and prove himself in camp vs the likes or Morley and Goossen, then sure i'd sign him but... not for as much money as he would want.

I see him signing elsewhere, not sure where tho, maybe he goes back to Toronto or maybe Hamilton even. Honestly, looking around the league i don't see many spots open for a guy who really can only play center. 

North of $190k. Lotta folks here will be lining up to take turns to jump off the Provencher.

Edit: I should have added "after reading the first four pages".

Listening to some of the comments made by Picard its seems like word is getting out that Winnipeg is a place where players want to and like playing. Mentioned OShea and Walters and how it was a easy choice to come to Winnipeg. Have the tables finally turned to where Winnipeg is a top destination for FA from the management team, coach, facilities and city?

Listening to some of the comments made by Picard its seems like word is getting out that Winnipeg is a place where players want to and like playing. Mentioned OShea and Walters and how it was a easy choice to come to Winnipeg. Have the tables finally turned to where Winnipeg is a top destination for FA from the management team, coach, facilities and city?

Does the managements pays for the Gatorade now? instead of the players? :D

Players talk.  I wouldn't be surprised if Picard talked to Neufeld and Willy before he signed here.  The perception of Winnipeg is slowly changing.  Could make for a very interesting free agency for the Blue and Gold.

Based on whose on the roster right now:

LT:??

LG: Greaves

C: Picard

RG: Goossen

RT: January

Clearly there's still work to done.

You can pencil in Jace Daniels at this point at LT.  And I'm not convinced January is back with the Bombers, but RT could be an option for him if he is back.

Heenan wont leave skatchy unless our offer is substantially more.. And cant be matched for whatever reason..

Put me in the camp that heenan is going to use FA to get highest dollar and then sign back home.. So we offee 300k and if he gets that from sask, we can try to offer more if we can afford it but if not, sask takes a big cap hit and im happy :)

If Pat Neufeld is healthy, he starts the season at either RG or RT....that guy is a damn good OL when healthy. The record of the team with him in the line-up vs out, was dramatically different, and you can make the case that he's a big part of that.

If Pat Neufeld is healthy, he starts the season at either RG or RT....that guy is a damn good OL when healthy. The record of the team with him in the line-up vs out, was dramatically different, and you can make the case that he's a big part of that.

Agree… just hope he can stay on the field..

I'm hoping Walters is smart and goes hard after Holmes while everyone else is frothing over Heenan.

If we do have a legit shot at Heenan, then sure, take it... but unless Picard and Neufeld are telling him otherwise, I seriously doubt Heenan comes here.

Lets not delude ourselves. If Walters wants to bid up Heenan to force Taman to drain his cap space, thats one thing, but I rather doubt he would do such a thing. For starters ,the CFL is a small fraternity and Walters might need a favour from Taman at some point, so burning that bridge would make no sense. Heenan would need a pretty big raise to move here, and his wife/girlfriend would likely veto that anyways.

If we have a legitimate shot at Holmes without breaking the bank, lets go for it. If that doesn't work, lets draft and develop.

Speaking of Walters, he was just on the CJOB Upper Deck show 7pm and they talked how the staff figured it was just the right time to after a player like Picard.

They had the money, they had the opportunity, they talked, and Picard figures he is in good shape and is not even thinking of slowing down.

He mentioned how they went about trying to re-sign as many players as they could and talked to all the players they wanted back about extensions etc.

When it came closer to Jan 1, they tried a couple of contract re-dos.

Nick Moore, we heard about, but he mentioned they also re-worked Jake Thomas's contract structure.

He virtually repeated what was said about the talks with the new DC…progressing..each day.

He was asked about Buck and said how enthused Buck is about sponging up knowledge and learning all aspects of the coaching angle. Things like running his own RB meetings and film reviews.

Buck's aim is to move on up, eventually, to an OC position.

Of course, that makes sense.

Now's the time Walters will be attending more bowl games Tampa and Mobile, and meeting with the US scouts at the same time, discussing the budget and salary cap projections and focusing now on the upcoming Free Agency when he gets back on the 21st or 22nd.

He believes they'll have a real clear plan of attack for FA.

Walters' CFL history and moving up the ranks of coaching, asst. GMing and now GM was talked about and it's impressive, considering how he worked it, and who he worked for.

Seems like a pretty head's up guy.