Brown: final indictment of Etch's D

IC Khari

Throw out everything you need to know about fundamental football when following Etch's system. 

It makes perfect sense.

Just ask him.

Or ask Kim, as she was there.

Sweet music with a tone deaf DC.

Yes, our players were athletic and could pursue a fleeing antelope, but that was part of the problem, pursuing, instead of stopping.

And positioning?

Well, Kuale had that down pat. He could pose and strut with the best of them.

Last year we had a lot of good players try to play in a system that pretty well had them play by reaction, and most of the time, they did make plays.

That speaks to the talent we put out there.

But not practising against the run?

Nothing good could be garnered from that…except running yardage…for the other team.

We'll already be ahead of last year, with a new maestro who uses all he knows about football.

At least, that's my slant on it.

Ya, Etch's strategy was bad. A lot of us knew that the moment they announced his hiring last year. The big question was, and remains, why didn't our newly minted head coach see it.

I think relationships played a bigger role than common sense ... Just x that by a zillion and you could describe the last 25 years of the Bomber franchise actually :(

Ya, Etch's strategy was bad.  A lot of us knew that the moment they announced his hiring last year.  The big question was, and remains, why didn't our newly minted head coach see it.

Compare the DCs available this year to the experienced group that were available last year and you'll have your answer.

Remember, we were courting Rich Stubler for that position and he chose Calgary…not a bad choice actually, as it's a successful team, and he remained closer to his home.

Hiring Etcheverry was "settling" for an experienced DC.

We "settled" for an experienced receiver (Romby) and we "settled" for an experienced MLB (Kuale).

I sure hope we're over "settling" for personnel.

Ya, Etch's strategy was bad.  A lot of us knew that the moment they announced his hiring last year.  The big question was, and remains, why didn't our newly minted head coach see it.

Etch was about 5th choice for O'Shea. I'm not sure who else was available at the time.

Etch was about 5th choice for O'Shea. I'm not sure who else was available at the time.

The only person I remember hearing about that was pursued by the Bombers before Etch's hiring was Stubler.  Who else was in that list?

That O'Shea could not see that or perhaps chose not to intervene is worrisome. O'Shea ought to have had enough experience to know the Etch's "system" was deeply flawed from day one.

That O'Shea could not see that or perhaps chose not to intervene is worrisome. O'Shea ought to have had enough experience to know the Etch's "system" was deeply flawed from day one.

That's not really accurate.

As much as Etch's system is flawed, it worked very well for us in its initial stages and MOS certainly cannot be blamed for smiling…as long as we were winning.

The problems arose much later and only were really a problem because our offence got bogged down time and time again.

We had our chances to win a few more games last year and our defence was not the source of that failure to win.

Having said that…thank goodness that system is gone.

The only person I remember hearing about that was pursued by the Bombers before Etch's hiring was Stubler.  Who else was in that list?

Mark Washington.  Buono let Stubler go & promoted Washington before O'Shea could steal him away.

As much as Etch's system is flawed, it worked very well for us in its initial stages and MOS certainly cannot be blamed for smiling…as long as we were winning.

The problems arose much later and only were really a problem because our offence got bogged down time and time again.

We had our chances to win a few more games last year and our defence was not the source of that failure to win.

But hasn't that always been the indictment of Etch's system?  It works well for a little while, but once OC's have enough film, it stops working.  So again, that really should not have been a big surprise to O'Shea, because a lot of us were saying that when he was hired.  Personally, I had some small hope that maybe Etch had matured enough to realize that there's a reason that "traditional" systems are used the most, but sadly it seems like he still suffers from "I'm the smartest guy in the room" syndrome.  We had a head coach a few HC's ago that had the same sort of opinion about himself.  He lasted a year too.

But hasn't that always been the indictment of Etch's system?  It works well for a little while, but once OC's have enough film, it stops working.  So again, that really should not have been a big surprise to O'Shea, because a lot of us we saying that when he was hired.  Personally, I had some small hope that maybe Etch had matured enough to realize that there's a reason that "traditional" systems are used the most, but sadly it seems like he still suffers from "I'm the smartest guy in the room" syndrome.  We had a head coach a few HC's ago that had the same sort of opinion about himself.  He lasted a year too.

Yes, that system is flawed.. but my point was we were winning with it and O'Shea couldn't really be blamed for not meddling too much with it.

Other problems arose and helped cause our downfall… penalties…a listless offence…turnovers…injuries,

I don't know any system that can withstand the perfect storm of events, at the same time, to a 'new' team playing under suspicious circumstances.

Too much for a flawed team to withstand.

Obviously we here do not have the same degree of insight that some one like O'Shea would have, yet more that one poster in this forum predicted that by Labour Day, Etch's system would be found wanting and compensated for. I believe that is what Mr. Brown said in his article- the basics were flawed.

Defence was ok when the offence could score a little bit.

Defence fell apart when the offence fell apart.

Not saying we should have kept Etch.

and the " Etch defence works for six games till the offences figure him out" makes no sense to me. If he has no plan, what is there to figure out? and if it's the same every year, why does it take six games to figure it out.

Do the other team's coaches have amesia? or amnesia?

Doug's article sure explains why they couldn't stop the run up the middle. There was so much complaining about that. 33 Saskathewan, just killed us up the middle. man that was ugly. Messam

Give Doug credit, he bit his tongue during game broadcasts, about the defences, although sometimes he seemed somewhat surprised by what he saw on the defensive side.

Defence was ok when the offence could score a little bit.

Defence fell apart when the offence fell apart.

Not saying we should have kept Etch.

and the " Etch defence works for six games till the offences figure him out" makes no sense to me. If he has no plan, what is there to figure out? and if it's the same every year, why does it take six games to figure it out.

Do the other team's coaches have amesia? or amnesia?

Doug's article sure explains why they couldn't stop the run up the middle. There was so much complaining about that. 33 Saskathewan, just killed us up the middle. man that was ugly. Messam

Give Doug credit, he bit his tongue during game broadcasts, about the defences, although sometimes he seemed somewhat surprised by what he saw on the defensive side.

Well, I suppose that another question can be asked.  If Etch's d's are not the issue, why has he had little long term success?  When a guy the Etch can't hold down a position for any length of time, does that not tell you something?  And when a guy can't get work in the league for three years after what could be described as his best run (2008-2010), what does that say?

You can try and defend him if you wish but what happened to him here has happened to him before.  That's sort of why we said he'd be good for a little while and then, not so much, because there's been a pattern of that happening.  Pretty hard to argue history.

I just remember Mike and a few others who scoffed at me when I suggested that Etch wouldn't even make it to the end of the year and were convinced that he wasn't as bad as advertised....

I can't imagine anyone being as bad as Etch for next year. We have the talent thats for sure..

I said the same thing you did & was scoffed at as well by the Usual Suspects here. Like I said on another thread, I was vindicated the moment Etcheverry was fired. One of the worst hires we ever had as an organization ever.