Jeff Tedford Hired as BC Lions Head Coach

Rich

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/jeff-tedford-hired-as-b-c-lions-new-head-coach-1.2879132

Jeff Tedford is returning to the CFL.

A league source says Tedford has agreed to terms to become the new head coach of the B.C. Lions and will be introduced Friday at a news conference in Vancouver.

Tedford played six seasons as a quarterback in the CFL with Hamilton, Calgary, Saskatchewan, and Winnipeg from 1983 to '88. He replaces Mike Benevides, who was fired following B.C.'s 50-17 loss to the Montreal Alouettes in the East Division semifinal.

Tedford, 53, will be reunited with GM Wally Buono with the Lions. Tedford served as an assistant under Buono with the Calgary Stampeders ('89-'91).

Earlier this year, Tedford was hired to be the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' offensive co-ordinator but left the team during the pre-season to undergo a heart procedure. That ultimately resulted in the two sides mutually agreeing to end his NFL deal, making Tedford available to join the Lions.

Tedford also served as the head coach at the University of California ('02-'12) and twice was named the Pac-10's top coach, winning the conference title in 2006.

New broom sweeps clean. I think that the new lion coach will want his own people on board. Most likely he has some names south of the border he'd like to entertain. Having said that, the leos have not made any moves to clear the decks completely, as Khari and Washington are still around. That could change quickly however. I think Washington could garner some interest here if he becomes available.

New broom sweeps clean. I think that the new lion coach will want his own people on board. Most likely he has some names south of the border he'd like to entertain. Having said that, the leos have not made any moves to clear the decks completely, as Khari and Washington are still around. That could change quickly however. I think Washington could garner some interest here if he becomes available.

Read someplace that Wally took Washington with him when he met  up with Tedford a few days ago. Seems likely that Washington will stay in BC.

Will Khari stays in BC?

Heard an interview with Wally today, says Tedford will have fee reign on his coaching staff. Wally will give him his opinion, but Jeff has the final say.

With that in mind, I can't see Khari surviving the potential purge. I would normally be excited for this prospect, but there doesn't seem to be a place in our staff for him at the moment with our OC and QB coach already in place. Unless Dahlquist "retires".

Will Tedford try to wedge in some American systems or try to coach like it is still 1990 in the CFL?  Or will he be abreast of the latest CFL trends, demonstrating dynamism and boldness in his approach?  The answer lies in the future.

Only time will tell.

If Cortez & Washington are the coordinators I think you have your answer.

Will Khari stays in BC?

Heard an interview with Wally today, says Tedford will have fee reign on his coaching staff. Wally will give him his opinion, but Jeff has the final say.

With that in mind, I can't see Khari surviving the potential purge. I would normally be excited for this prospect, but there doesn't seem to be a place in our staff for him at the moment with our OC and QB coach already in place. Unless Dahlquist "retires".

Wally should just STHU & let the guys he hires as HC do their jobs. What a pain in the ass he must be to work for.

• 2 weeks later...

@CFL_News: OL coach Dan Dorazio out w/ #BCLions a surprise. He's been a staple for Lions. #CFL

Not a surprise for me. The fans there have wanted him gone for some time. Their OL has been awful but I'm not sure that is all on coaching because their talent has been questionable at best.

Too bad about Dan as he is an excellent OL coach. I suspect he'll be working somewhere soon. Sort of like Bob Wylie here. He had a great reputation coming in but our OL sucked for the most part last season. Just drives home the fact that even a great position coach needs talent to work with. Coaches IQ's rise & fall with the guys they coach & just how good they are. We all thought our previous OL coach Pat Del Monaco was terrible. Then he went to Calgary & he coached the best OL in the CFL game in & game out. Del Monaco suddenly didn't become a great OL coach overnight. He had talent & great depth to work with on the Stamps. Same with Dorazio.Not much to work with in BC. He took the fall for it.