Demski too good to pass up?

bb1

We'll have Goodrich signed eventually.

Educated guess or a little more insider knowledge than that?

Unlike some I obviously am not the type to take a dump on this organization at every opportunity, but I have seen them completely screw up what should have been some simple and easy signings before.

Top 3 is an arbitrary cut off. Make it top 4 and you start to see the names. David Foucault, Austin Pasztor, Danny Watkins...

Part of drafting those guys at #4 is for two reasons - spots 1 to 3 are teams that need Nationals that will stick around and teams in 4 to 6 can afford to use a pick to secure the rights to a guy that they hope will eventually be back in Canada. 

The legit NFL guys don't even get picked - Ty Crawford, Orlando Franklin. 

This year's best prospect will be a 6th round NFL pick in Brett Boyko. 

Guessing that 4 OL go in the first round. Probably 5 in the top 10. 3 or 4 skill guys go in those top 10 as well (Demski, Varga, Addison, Campbell) Not sure if you take Demski at #2 but pretty sure he's not there at #11. (although maybe Shaq Murray-Lawrence is who'd be nice in a CFL jersey too)

One game does not make someone's draft stock plummet so significantly considering where he's currently projected by scouting.

It will raise red flags for sure 3 catches in two of the biggest games of the year. They will give it do diligence put the film on and see why he was not getting ball. Probably won't affect his draft stock but I am sure when he goes through the interviews he is going answer questions about it.

I didn't catch the whole game yesterday but from what I did see, Demski was not the dominant player I expected to see, so perhaps his stock fell soemwhat.

Agreed. I was not impressed with Demski. Bombers might be able to get him with the 2nd rounder.

That one play where he avoided making a catch on second and ten because he didn't want to get hit was just awful. 

I didn't catch the whole game yesterday but from what I did see, Demski was not the dominant player I expected to see, so perhaps his stock fell soemwhat.

Agreed. I was not impressed with Demski. Bombers might be able to get him with the 2nd rounder.

That one play where he avoided making a catch on second and ten because he didn't want to get hit was just awful. 

Initially, that's what I thought, but….upon further review, he's getting a bad rap on that play.

Yantz did throw the ball for the cut early, but Demski had to locate it.

You can see the progression of throw - locating the ball, and the miss/duck in pretty quick succession.

Verdict - not guilty, IMO.

good job on ten 1290 yesterday Rids

Now that's just against the law.  You do an interview on 1290 and don't give us the heads up?  Your Christmas card will be rescinded.

I didn't catch the whole game yesterday but from what I did see, Demski was not the dominant player I expected to see, so perhaps his stock fell somewhat.

I didn't get to see the entire game unfortunately.  The handoffs where he carried the ball it was very noticeable some of his skills were well beyond CIS level.  The ability to make hard sharp cuts and the velocity he made them at, that was NCAA caliber.

Receiver was going up, ball got thrown in.  They were not on the same page.  Demski spotted the ball as it was going past him.  If he was taking the route in, he would have cut underneath the safety.

Demski is not a great technical receiver, even by CIS standards.  He'd have to develop a lot to be a good CFL one.  I have a hunch that a number of CFL teams would look to use him as a hybrid RB with some ability as a receiver.  I truly don't understand why the Bisons didn't shift him back to tailback at least part-time with Coombs gone.  Imagine that team with Demski touching the ball 20 times a game, rather than having to force the ball to him on all those end arounds and plays where he can't get himself going north-south.

As rough as Demski looked in the last couple games, he's going to tear apart the combine and that will make him the top "skill" position player IMO.  Varga will give him a run, but I think he'll get a decent shot at the NFL as a fullback.

Manitoba left Demski as a receiver to boost his chances at a CFL career. He's another classic Durie type. Durie, Coombs, Harris are great players to build a career on. 

As for the CFL Combine, if Varga comes north for it his numbers will be tops of all players. There's 5 guys that will post great head turning testing numbers:

Nic Demski

Ty Varga

Shaq Murray-Lawrence

Chris Ackie

Tevaughn Campbell 

Dillon Campbell won't be far behind either. 

Melvin Abankwah could post some solid numbers at the Montreal Regional. 

Tyler Varga is a Sean Millington type player that is faster. Loves getting 30 carries a game, runs over LBs and good luck to DBs that try to pull him down. 

I caught most of the game.  There's a few players on that U of Montreal team I'd be curious about come draft time, especially on their front 7.  Their oline was very good too (or did we just have no push?).  As for the Bison Demski was pretty meh but I did notice a few times he was shaking his hand after plays so I'm guessing he wasn't 100%.  That #97, the kid from Nigeria? could be awesome with some more seasoning, just huge.  And #88 seemed like a solid receiver, not the fastest but good hands and routes from what I saw.  Loved Yantz, sad that he probably won't get a CFL shot but wouldn't it be nice?

All in all sad for U of M but a damn good game, and more reason for one of our many sports channels to show more CIS football games.  

I caught most of the game.  There's a few players on that U of Montreal team I'd be curious about come draft time, especially on their front 7.  Their oline was very good too (or did we just have no push?).  As for the Bison Demski was pretty meh but I did notice a few times he was shaking his hand after plays so I'm guessing he wasn't 100%.  That #97, the kid from Nigeria? could be awesome with some more seasoning, just huge.  And #88 seemed like a solid receiver, not the fastest but good hands and routes from what I saw.  Loved Yantz, sad that he probably won't get a CFL shot but wouldn't it be nice?

All in all sad for U of M but a damn good game, and more reason for one of our many sports channels to show more CIS football games.  

Both teams had a lot of "hold" that stifled the amount of "push" either DL could get.

One game does not make someone's draft stock plummet so significantly considering where he's currently projected by scouting. 

Depends on what he does. He shortarmed a perfectly thrown ball to avoid getting hit. That tells me a bit about his character. Would have been a big first down too. If he thinks university kids hit hard, wait till he gets hit by an international safety. 

Depends on what he does. He shortarmed a perfectly thrown ball to avoid getting hit. That tells me a bit about his character. Would have been a big first down too. If he thinks university kids hit hard, wait till he gets hit by an international safety. 

Saw that, definitely not one of his finest moments. That being said, just as one game does not make someone's plummet, neither would one play. There are many more good plays that he made this season than negative ones. Every prospect is going to have plays on their tape that indicates a flaw or potential flaw.

I'm picking tevaungh campbell 2nd overall.

If you mean 2nd DB taken in the draft well then that's about where I have him too.

2nd overall? I have him about the 8th best defensive player meaning a 2nd-3rd Round selection.

Saw that, definitely not one of his finest moments. That being said, just as one game does not make someone's plummet, neither would one play. There are many more good plays that he made this season than negative ones. Every prospect is going to have plays on their tape that indicates a flaw or potential flaw.

Yep good point. Personally, it's the only game I saw him play in so I shouldn't be judging too harshly. He did make some good plays too and he was banged up and kept going back in (hand issue and something else can't remember now). I guess my concern is if he has Kyries Hebert, Brackenridge, or Tisdale lining him up, well, he'll go in to self preservation mode. Can't say I blame him - I would too, in a heart beat. But, no one would ever pay me to play football (they might pay me not to play though). 

Maybe it was just him playing against CIS competition... but I thought Byron Archambault has the speed... to go along with the obvious size (6'0 240) and play-making ability... to play MLB in the CFL..

anyone who knows more than me (most people) have any thoughts on this kid? Has he been drafted yet or is he eligible this year? O believe they mentioned in the broadcast a few times that CFL scouts are "drooling" over him...

This is Byron's draft year. He'll be an early selection I believe although there are a group of LBs that could all make an impact and sometimes when there's a group of them they slide down the draft board as teams address other needs knowing that #5 LB is only marginally behind the #2. 

Currently my #9 LB was an All-Canadian in 2012 and I'm not sure he'll climb any higher.