Demski too good to pass up?

bb1

Unfortunately for us we are simply not in a position to pass up on an OL. Unless, Walters/Goveia etc. really don't like the quality or attitude of either of the top 2 OL, or feel that no good ones won't bolt for the NFL then there is not a very high probability of us taking Demski. He's good....we have different needs that are near desperation levels.

Unfortunately for us we are simply not in a position to pass up on an OL. Unless, Walters/Goveia etc. really don't like the quality or attitude of either of the top 2 OL, or feel that no good ones won't bolt for the NFL then there is not a very high probability of us taking Demski. He's good....we have different needs that are near desperation levels.

Yep, once the OL is solidified, then we can start looking at other positions in the first round.  If we get a gem in this upcoming draft, 2016 might be the year we can start looking at other positions in the first round. 

Take the best player. The "we need an OL too badly" would have landed the team Mitchell instead of Muamba a few years ago and how would that have worked out? If the receiver is the best guy available take him! With Watson not being all that durable a more explosive NI receiver would be a good option for this team to be developing. 

An interesting thread. If the Bombers are going to draft Demski, who looks like a one in a generation player, and go with three NI receivers, then who would the import receiver be? Denmark or ? The NI receivers we have are at least adequate with decent depth, and Demski could turn out to be another Kito Poblah. There are a lot of "sure things" who have turned out to be complete busts or just average, so maybe if we draft Demski, he might be very good trade bait for a premier O-lineman who is already established as a dominant starter. Who that might be I do not know.

Take the best player. The "we need an OL too badly" would have landed the team Mitchell instead of Muamba a few years ago and how would that have worked out? If the receiver is the best guy available take him! With Watson not being all that durable a more explosive NI receiver would be a good option for this team to be developing. 

I've always been iffy about drafting Demski - I can't stand homerism when applied to the draft - but I'm starting to come around. I honestly think that if we fixed our Imports along the line, that our NI talent would suffice, especially with Goosen already in the mix. 

Take the best available player at number #2 - taking into account NFL interest.

An interesting thread. If the Bombers are going to draft Demski, who looks like a one in a generation player, and go with three NI receivers, then who would the import receiver be? Denmark or ? The NI receivers we have are at least adequate with decent depth, and Demski could turn out to be another Kito Poblah. There are a lot of "sure things" who have turned out to be complete busts or just average, so maybe if we draft Demski, he might be very good trade bait for a premier O-lineman who is already established as a dominant starter. Who that might be I do not know.

Keeping in mind that Demski would not necessarily (and probably wouldn't be) a starter. I would be rotating him in over the course of the year to see where he fits. Talent and developmentally aside, it's usually a terrible plan to start someone coming from the CIS from Day 1 - as their body is not used to a schedule more than twice as long as the CIS calendar. 

The age old debate... Should a team draft based on ability as in best player available or need? I always say need as we have to build a foundation first. Until we get our OL right this team is going nowhere. A receiver can't catch the football if his qb is on his back constantly. Our need is clearly OL & that supercedes drafting someone purely on ability. I don't like it as we still need skilled Canadian players but that's the way it is. 

The age old debate... Should a team draft based on ability as in best player available or need? I always say need as we have to build a foundation first. Until we get our OL right this team is going nowhere. A receiver can't catch the football if his qb is on his back constantly. Our need is clearly OL & that supercedes drafting someone purely on ability. I don't like it as we still need skilled Canadian players but that's the way it is. 

should you not build a base by taking the most talent and then building around them? If for example this team uses 3 NIs at receiver then we can play 3 americans on the OL quite easily. This idea that you MUST have 4 or 5 canadians on the OL is outdated thinking and needs to end. 

should you not build a base by taking the most talent and then building around them? If for example this team uses 3 NIs at receiver then we can play 3 americans on the OL quite easily. This idea that you MUST have 4 or 5 canadians on the OL is outdated thinking and needs to end.

Who said anything about 4 or 5? We're just trying to work towards starting 3 on a consistent basis.

If/when we get to the point where we have 7 good NI starters, then we can afford to take the best player.  Until then put me on the best O lineman, not best player side.

Folks around here want the Bombers to pick Demski, who they consider the best player.  They don't seem to understand that good teams a built from the lines out.  We've had a bunch of GM's who followed the best player, in their minds, strategy and it's only worked once with Muamba.  Meanwhile, we've had a poor O line for years.

If/when we get to the point where we have 7 good NI starters, then we can afford to take the best player.  Until then put me on the best O lineman, not best player side.

Folks around here want the Bombers to pick Demski, who they consider the best player.  They don't seem to understand that good teams a built from the lines out.  We've had a bunch of GM's who followed the best player, in their minds, strategy and it's only worked once with Muamba.  Meanwhile, we've had a poor O line for years.

Terry, I can't believe that you would even have to explain this concept on a football site? I'd really like to hear why the majority doesn't agree, it should provide entertainment until training camp.

If/when we get to the point where we have 7 good NI starters, then we can afford to take the best player. Until then put me on the best O lineman, not best player side.

Folks around here want the Bombers to pick Demski, who they consider the best player. They don't seem to understand that good teams a built from the lines out. We've had a bunch of GM's who followed the best player, in their minds, strategy and it's only worked once with Muamba. Meanwhile, we've had a poor O line for years.

Terry, I can't believe that you would even have to explain this concept on a football site? I'd really like to hear why the majority doesn't agree, it should provide entertainment until training camp.
Add me to that list, good thing we have Tburg here to explain the nuances of the game to the rest of us btw what's an oline again?

Because next season the Bombers are going to still be looking at 2 americans 3 canadians on the offensive line, for that group to get better it's primarily the americans who need to be better. So take the best NI in the draft so we can get another starter somewhere. Hell if we're picking by need for NIs I say we need a defensive lineman more than we need an offensive lineman given the current configuration of the team and where NIs play. 

Because next season the Bombers are going to still be looking at 2 americans 3 canadians on the offensive line, for that group to get better it's primarily the americans who need to be better. So take the best NI in the draft so we can get another starter somewhere. Hell if we're picking by need for NIs I say we need a defensive lineman more than we need an offensive lineman given the current configuration of the team and where NIs play. 

Bravo, it's always 'next year' in the Peg, 24 of them and counting.