Bomber free agents

gbill2004

worse comes to worse and the Bombers failed or chose not to re-sign all of their pending FA (including those on the PR)

we are looking to fill up this holes...

1) field CB - Bucknor's been a surprise there, it woudlnt not be hard to replace it with an import but finding a non-import for it will be a challenge although Derek Jones may fit to play there we still need a depth

2) boundary HB -  an import spot, I think it's not a big of a challenge to replace this.

3) MLB - we havent had a legit MLB anyways and Wild is more of a WIL, we need to upgrade this spot

4) SAM - Sherman can definitely play this spot although Sears, if healthy is definitely better, I remember we struggle to find a suitable player during Mack's time

5) DE - We haven't had that very good pass-rushers like we enjoyed from previous years (Hunt, Willis, Hall, etc...) we need to upgrade this spot although we have 12 players currently on the roster that listed on the DL (6 DE, 6 DT)

6)  LT or RT - this will be a huge challenge, I assume Daniels will fill up either spot

7) weakside WR - i hope we will be able to bring Matthews back :)

8) NI starter(s) on D - I assume 3 OL and 2 receivers will be the norm on offense that will left 2 NI starter spot on D,  Thomas and Sherman might be a solid contributor but we will definitely need an upgrade and depth.

as I said, that will be the holes if the Bombers fails to resign the FAs but of course the Bombers should be looking to upgrade every position\

1) field CB - Bucknor's been a surprise there, it woudlnt not be hard to replace it with an import but finding a non-import for it will be a challenge although Derek Jones may fit to play there we still need a depth

Alexander is still here too.

I know, he was put to the suspended list last week. I'm not really sure about him though, i'm not sure if he just battle lot of injuries this year or his game have regressed and got push down on the depth chart by derek jones.

I know, he was put to the suspended list last week. I'm not really sure about him though, i'm not sure if he is just battle lot of injuries this year or his game have regressed and got push down on the depth chart by derek jones.

He isn't listed as suspended anymore. As for injuries or Jones keeping him off the field, I would guess both. Some of the times he was on the IR wasn't for injuries.

Alexander's career is over, but Teague Sherman looks to have the raw athleticism that, with coaching could make him very useful as a weak-side linebacker. Could be a diamond in the rough and a home-town boy to boot.

I don't think Teague has the talent to be a starter. He's more suited as a backup and special teams daemon.

I know, he was put to the suspended list last week. I'm not really sure about him though, i'm not sure if he is just battle lot of injuries this year or his game have regressed and got push down on the depth chart by derek jones.

He isn't listed as suspended anymore. As for injuries or Jones keeping him off the field, I would guess both. Some of the times he was on the IR wasn't for injuries.

this from cfl. transaction page

October 31 Roster

WPG TRF TO SUSPENDED NIP Donovan ALEXANDER (DB) North Dakota

Btw, here's the latest transaction for the Bombers

November 2

NON-ACTIVE                        2-Nov-14

WPG REM UNS IMP Daivon DUMAS (DB) Northern Arizona

WPG REM UNS IMP Jarvis JONES (OL) Oklahoma

WPG REM UNS IMP Abraham KROMAH (LB) Duke

WPG REM UNS IMP Marty MARKETT (DB) South Carolina

WPG REM UNS NIP Ezra MILLINGTON (WR) Ottawa

WPG REM UNS NIP Kyle NORRIS (LB) Saint Mary's

WPG REM UNS NIP Shea PIERRE (DB) Windsor

WPG REM UNS NIP Rene STEPHAN (LB) Harding

WPG REM UNS IMP Aaron WOODS (WR) Portland State

October 31 Roster

November 2

Why would someone be placed on the suspended list?  Did Alexander break a team rule?  Those other guys look like guys who were mostly on the PR.

October 31 Roster

November 2

Why would someone be placed on the suspended list?  Did Alexander break a team rule?  Those other guys look like guys who were mostly on the PR.

I don't think the suspended list is exclusively for law-breakers or problem guys.

October 31 Roster

November 2

I don't think the suspended list is exclusively for law-breakers or problem guys.

So why was he singled out and placed on that list?

October 31 Roster

November 2

So why was he singled out and placed on that list?

I'm not sure.

Interesting...sure. Just as interesting as any opinions on this forum though. A lot of opinion...some fact based...some not so much. Nice to get a good idea of who is coming up for FA though so thanks to the blogger for that. Anyone know whose blog that is? Writing and opinion seem familiar.

Thought so too. Don't agree with a whole lot of what was said, but it was a good read.

I LOLed at him calling Demond Washington a mediocre cover man and it's time for the Bombers to move on. Nothing says stupid like moving on from one of your best defensive backs and one of your biggest playmakers in the defensive backfield. Even more comical is listing Bucknor as a must sign. Not a chance. He surprised us all by not being a complete liability but that's about the best you can expect from the guy. 

I'd say Bucknor is a must sign.  Teams with better NI talent than ours would be in a position to shrug their shoulders at him.  I wouldn't say he's a must start, but we have to change something for him to not be a must start.

This team might be better by playing a NI elsewhere or finding another NI field corner who slots ahead of Bucknor, but we are unlikely to know if we've succeeded in doing that until training camp.  I don't see a situation where we upgrade our NI personnel enough in the next 6 months that Bucknor isn't good enough to be one of the 21 NIs on the gameday roster.  Certainly not one where we know that we've done it prior to February 15.

And yes, lols for dumping Washington.

I'd say Bucknor is a must sign. Teams with better NI talent than ours would be in a position to shrug their shoulders at him. I wouldn't say he's a must start, but we have to change something for him to not be a must start.

This team might be better by playing a NI elsewhere or finding another NI field corner who slots ahead of Bucknor, but we are unlikely to know if we've succeeded in doing that until training camp. I don't see a situation where we upgrade our NI personnel enough in the next 6 months that Bucknor isn't good enough to be one of the 21 NIs on the gameday roster. Certainly not one where we know that we've done it prior to February 15.

I agree, Bucknor is a must sign.

I think Walters has improved a lot of the mid-caliber NIs from previous rosters and is working on the top end caliber players.

Each top end NI that we can sign automatically drops the bottom end NI from out roster.

It's been too long that we've had middling quality NI players dressed up in the starters unis and it's time for that to change.

It takes time.

As to our current potential FA NIs, sign every NI unless there will be an upgrade at that roster spot.

A Gord Hinse over a Chris Kowalzcuk for example.

Bucknor over Cauchy Muamba.

That sort of thing.

There are certain NIs currently on the roster that should be replaced, but….with whom?

and therein lies the dilemma.

I'd say Bucknor is a must sign.  Teams with better NI talent than ours would be in a position to shrug their shoulders at him.  I wouldn't say he's a must start, but we have to change something for him to not be a must start.

This team might be better by playing a NI elsewhere or finding another NI field corner who slots ahead of Bucknor, but we are unlikely to know if we've succeeded in doing that until training camp.  I don't see a situation where we upgrade our NI personnel enough in the next 6 months that Bucknor isn't good enough to be one of the 21 NIs on the gameday roster.  Certainly not one where we know that we've done it prior to February 15.

one of the 21? that's a low bar and not worthy of being a must sign. I can think of some situations where we won't need him as a starter though.... Between Newman and Sherman they use a NI at LB instead, hell let's go completely pie int he sky thinking here, Muamba, Mulumba and Bilukidi all come to the Bombers from the NFL, suddenly you don't need Bucknor starting at all. Now sure that's wishful thinking at it's finest but it's a situation where you laugh at the very notion of Bucknor being that important. As far as Bucknor goes I'd bring him back, but he's not in the most important to bring back category. 

one of the 21? that's a low bar and not worthy of being a must sign. I can think of some situations where we won't need him as a starter though.... Between Newman and Sherman they use a NI at LB instead, hell let's go completely pie int he sky thinking here, Muamba, Mulumba and Bilukidi all come to the Bombers from the NFL, suddenly you don't need Bucknor starting at all. Now sure that's wishful thinking at it's finest but it's a situation where you laugh at the very notion of Bucknor being that important. As far as Bucknor goes I'd bring him back, but he's not in the most important to bring back category. 

Sure, but how much of that will the team know prior to the opening of free agency?  This time last year BC probably thought Lulay would be ready for the start of the season.  Will Newman be ready for 2015?  Probably, but...maybe not.  We can't all be as awesome as Darian Durant.

I'm not sure whether to call it best case scenario or worst case scenario, but Bucknor as one of our starting 7 next season has to potentially remain an option until we have more options.  And if we have better options and he's just the backup corner, that's still a good scenario.

Bucknor was a very pleasant surprise. I thought the halfback on his side and safety would have to cheat over to his zone to cover for him, but even though his tackling leaves something to be desired, he was good for a rookie and seemed to improve over the season. How many Canadian corners are there around, anyways? Definitely a ratio-changer.

Bucknor had a pretty sold season, He's a good player, would love to see an all american secondary tho, think that would be great but... worst case scenario, bucknor starts again and really with the way he played this year, that's really not that bad at all.

I'd put him in the must sign category only because I feel he was actually one of our stronger national players this season and we seem to be lacking national players who can start.

Sign him but... if we can upgrade some other spots, maybe go all american secondary and have bucknor as a backup and special teams player

I guess the way i see it is, Is bucknor one of our worst national players? Nope, is he one of our best? based on this play this year, i'd say he is. Sign him. 

Bucknor is actually a perfect example of our problems at NI on our roster.

Bucknor started for us, and did an admirable job. 

He's earned the right of having to be beaten out of that position.

He should be re-signed and as I said, all FA NIs have a certain higher level of sign on our "to do" list, simply because that area has been ignored for too long.

Besides, I'd be pissed off if we're the ones to have developed him, and he did well on another team.

At the very least, Bucknor is the type of guy where even if his spot is upgraded and isn’t a starter next year, he has proven he is capable of stepping in.

His presence on the roster allows for an injury replacement in game from a Canadian if a DB goes down.

He isn’t a must sign, but it is guys like this that build the depth for a championship team.  And this team really needs to keep all the NI depth it can.

Special Teams wise, he only has 1 tackle on record.  Have to admit though, I never really watched for him on special teams to assess his play.