Drew Willy

SmokinBlue

Agreed, but the fact remains that the TD-INT ratio is a greater contributor to wins and losses than passing yards.

not always. Yards correlate with moving the ball and TOP and all that. As I pointed out, if a team moves into the redzone but opts to run the ball into the endzone then the td-int ratio isn't all that important right? You're just trying to pick and choose what you want to use. Everything needs context. Quite honestly you can assess the qb performance for this team without using any stats. The eye test is still good enough for football. 

We haven't had a QB throw for over 3500 yards since 2008. I feel like we should maybe stick with this one for awhile, even if he isn't as perfect as everyone seems to expect him to be.

We haven't had a QB play in as many games as Willy since 2008

How many other QBs in the league played as many as willy and didn't hit that mark?

Exactly. His yards passing is a good stat backed up by where he ranked against the other QBs.. Why are people trying to insinuate it's not?

SPuDs, Drew Willy is our starting qb & will be for awhile. If  he's good to go he plays simple as that. The Marve Mania around here shown by some is commendable but at the end of the day I still believe that Willy gives us the best chance to win. He's had 20 CFL starts. & Marve has had zero. Now, play the kid against Calgary. I have no problem with that but MOS isn't benching Willy & that is the right decision.

No argument from me ISO. I'd only wanna see marve last week 4th quarter if it was feasible and this week if we are getting blown out or blowing them out... Maaaaaaaybe 4th quarter just because if O'Shea feels it will aid his ability to review his season going into next year... While we would like to win, this is essentially training camp 2015

I want to see Marve as well but give Willy the majority of the work especially if we are winning. 

Agreed, but the fact remains that the TD-INT ratio is a greater contributor to wins and losses than passing yards.

not always. Yards correlate with moving the ball and TOP and all that. As I pointed out, if a team moves into the redzone but opts to run the ball into the endzone then the td-int ratio isn't all that important right? You're just trying to pick and choose what you want to use. Everything needs context. Quite honestly you can assess the qb performance for this team without using any stats. The eye test is still good enough for football. 

These would be today's standings if teams were placed based on passing yards.

West:                                                                                                                     East:

1. WPG 4,276                                                                                                       1. TOR 4,461

2. BC 4,009                                                                                                           2. HAM 4,422

3. EDM 3,848                                                                                                        3. OTT 3,788

4. CGY 3,660                                                                                                        4. MTL 3,234

5. SSK 3,379

And if they were drafted in accordance with the TD-INT ratio...

West:                                                                                                                     East:

1. CGY +14                                                                                                          1. TOR +13

2. EDM +7                                                                                                            2. HAM +3

3. BC +7                                                                                                               3. MTL 0

4. SSK -1                                                                                                              4. OTT -1

5. WPG -3

To me it seems that the TD-INT ratio paints a much more accurate picture. The only team that is misplaced is Montreal (who have been overachieving this year IMO)

1. WPG 4,276                                                                                                       1. TOR 4,461

2. BC 4,009                                                                                                           2. HAM 4,422

3. EDM 3,848                                                                                                        3. OTT 3,788

4. CGY 3,660                                                                                                        4. MTL 3,234

5. SSK 3,379

1. CGY +14                                                                                                          1. TOR +13

2. EDM +7                                                                                                            2. HAM +3

3. BC +7                                                                                                               3. MTL 0

4. SSK -1                                                                                                              4. OTT -1

5. WPG -3

To me it seems that the TD-INT ratio paints a much more accurate picture. The only team that is misplaced is Montreal (who have been overachieving this year IMO)

How many TDs did we score thru the air versus rushing tho.. Grigsby lead the league in TDs.. If even half of those were passing TDs, we still having this conversation?

5. SSK 3,379

5. WPG -3

That is more to do with the overall turnover amount than td-int ratio of a quarterback. There is a well established trend in the CFL of teams that turn over the ball more lose more. You are trying to assign too much importance in winning and losing to quarterbacks I think. Willys numbers all told pretty accurately describe the Bombers season. Team that can't run so the qb has to pass more, but some mistakes made as a result which have held the team back from winning more games. Guy has played well though despite that. There are a lot of factors contributing to his play. That lack of a running game is one. How do the win/loss records look if you base it on total offensive yards? Some teams do rely a lot on the running game, thinking Calgary and Saskatchewan in particular. 

5. SSK 3,379

5. WPG -3

That is more to do with the overall turnover amount than td-int ratio of a quarterback. There is a well established trend in the CFL of teams that turn over the ball more lose more. You are trying to assign too much importance in winning and losing to quarterbacks I think. Willys numbers all told pretty accurately describe the Bombers season. Team that can't run so the qb has to pass more, but some mistakes made as a result which have held the team back from winning more games. Guy has played well though despite that. There are a lot of factors contributing to his play. That lack of a running game is one. How do the win/loss records look if you base it on total offensive yards? Some teams do rely a lot on the running game, thinking Calgary and Saskatchewan in particular. 

good post. Agree. would like to add that teams that fall behind in games because of defense issues (sorry but the bombers fall here) have a tendency to turn the ball over more. Being behind leads a team into taking chances as the clock winds down in the forth quarter. My 2 cents on Drew this year is most of the crushing turnover int's came late in the game when you guys were behind, when chances were being taken. In games where a running game was established and/ or you were ahead, I wouldn't say he necessarily threw more or less int's than any other qb.  In fact if the team is behind and taking chances to try to come back and win, I don't think its entirely fair to blame the qb even though he is most responsible for the int himself. I'd be interested to see a stat on how many of Drew's int's were in the fourth quarter and what the score was when they occurred.

Look at average o per game gives you a better idea

TOR 360.7

CAL 359.7

EDM 353.9

BC 337.5

HAM 333.8

SSK 304.2

WPG 296.8

OTT 293.8

MTL 287.9

Once again MTL is the outlier. There offense was so putrid the first 8 weeks that it would be hard to get into top 6.

We haven't had a QB throw for over 3500 yards since 2008. I feel like we should maybe stick with this one for awhile, even if he isn't as perfect as everyone seems to expect him to be.

We haven't had a QB play in as many games as Willy since 2008

Sometimes from injury but mostly because they were all too terrible to hold on to the job.  And Willy was durable and good enough to hold on to the job.  Do you get it?  Can you follow?  Should I draw a diagram?

good post. Agree. would like to add that teams that fall behind in games because of defense issues (sorry but the bombers fall here) have a tendency to turn the ball over more. Being behind leads a team into taking chances as the clock winds down in the forth quarter. My 2 cents on Drew this year is most of the crushing turnover int's came late in the game when you guys were behind, when chances were being taken. In games where a running game was established and/ or you were ahead, I wouldn't say he necessarily threw more or less int's than any other qb.  In fact if the team is behind and taking chances to try to come back and win, I don't think its entirely fair to blame the qb even though he is most responsible for the int himself. I'd be interested to see a stat on how many of Drew's int's were in the fourth quarter and what the score was when they occurred.

Willy cost us both of the games here against you guys with terrible game crushing interceptions. My biggest concern with Willy is the fact that he regressed as the season went on.

5. SSK 3,379

5. WPG -3

The point that was brought up initially is that passing yards are overrated, and that other factors such as the TD-INT ratio play a much greater part in winning and losing. I think it's a valid point. 

As for what's in bold, I don't see how the overall turnover rate is a factor in evaluating a quarterback. That's why I only included plays that do involve the QB (TDs and INTs). A quarterback has no control over a fumble committed by a running back or a receiver. I agree that the lack of a running game may have contributed to his lacklustre play (though he did have his worst game when Cotton rushed for 130 yards), but nevertheless, Willy needs to learn how to manage the ball better.

Willy cost us both of the games here against you guys with terrible game crushing interceptions. My biggest concern with Willy is the fact that he regressed as the season went on.

And with a different QB we may not have even been in the game at all.  Easy to point the finger when it comes down to one play but it's obviously not that simple.

Yeah, seeing as one was tipped to a defender and then, let me see 3 fumbles lost in one of those games, and you can lay blame in one area, to one person?

Seems unlikely and unwarranted.

Lol at scoffing at passing yards... So cutting Goltz and his 110 yards per game was a mistake lol?

You're missing the point entirely... Goltz was absolutely horrendous, and never showed near the amount of potential Willy has so far. Along with a completion percentage of only 56%, he had a -5 TD-INT ratio in only a few games last year. I don't understand how the guy managed to hang around for as long as he did.

Isn't that what rookies do to a certain extent. Once there is more game film on them other teams clamp down on some of the early success.  Drew stood in there and tried to win. The int's where the qb just panics and floats the ball out there up for grabs are the ones that scare me. Drew didn't appear to be doing that, just forcing some balls maybe that he shouldn't have thrown. He clearly is very talented, I've been following him in his time here as well and have watched practice. You can't coach a qb to throw the ball, drew has a great arm IMO. The hope with experience is he stops forcing those balls and knows when to hold em and when to fold em. Durant threw a lot of picks earlier in his career, but watching him now he is picking his spots better and the turnovers have gone down immensely. It doesn't necessarily make Durant a better qb but more so a better game manager.  The game will slow down next year for drew and the turnovers will go down as well with that. At least that is the hope going forward.

And with a different QB we may not have even been in the game at all.  Easy to point the finger when it comes down to one play but it's obviously not that simple.

Listen I'm still a Willy fan, but he's still learning how to win. I won't call him a young QB seeing as he's in his late 20's but he's not there yet. The hope is that he can take his play from the first six games this year and elevate it, but that's hardly a certainty. The fact that he got worse and worse as the season went on is what really bothers me. Once again, hopefully with a better supporting cast and with the entire off season to recuperate from the beating he took this year he'll come back and build on what he did earlier this season but we have to be prepared if he comes back next year and plays like he has recently. 

Isn't that what rookies do to a certain extent. Once there is more game film on them other teams clamp down on some of the early success.  Drew stood in there and tried to win. The int's where the qb just panics and floats the ball out there up for grabs are the ones that scare me. Drew didn't appear to be doing that, just forcing some balls maybe that he shouldn't have thrown. He clearly is very talented, I've been following him in his time here as well and have watched practice. You can't coach a qb to throw the ball, drew has a great arm IMO. The hope with experience is he stops forcing those balls and knows when to hold em and when to fold em. Durant threw a lot of picks earlier in his career, but watching him now he is picking his spots better and the turnovers have gone down immensely. It doesn't necessarily make Durant a better qb but more so a better game manager.  The game will slow down next year for drew and the turnovers will go down as well with that. At least that is the hope going forward.

You should watch some early video of Anthony Cavillo - talk about bad decisions. But - he learned. I'm sure Willy will too given time, he does have the natural talent. Only point I've ever tried to make is Willy is just as responsible for losing these last 8 games as anyone else. He's not the 'sole' reason, but he's 'a' reason. He's learning and will hopefully rebound next year and be better for it. 

Anytime someone hears a stat that discredits their obviously ridiculous opinion:

"Well that's the most overrated stat of all time!"

The Riders were 8-2 with Durant throwing for 172 yards a game, they've been 1-6 without him while averaging something like 225 yards a game passing. As Yourface already stated, the correlation between throwing for a ton of yards and winning football games isn't there. 

You should watch some early video of Anthony Cavillo - talk about bad decisions. But - he learned. I'm sure Willy will too given time, he does have the natural talent. Only point I've ever tried to make is Willy is just as responsible for losing these last 8 games as anyone else. He's not the 'sole' reason, but he's 'a' reason. He's learning and will hopefully rebound next year and be better for it. 

I'm old enough to remember AC in those days, he was a raw talent. As far a drew you are 100% correct he has a part to play in the loses for sure.

Anytime someone hears a stat that discredits their obviously ridiculous opinion:

The Riders were 8-2 with Durant throwing for 172 yards a game, they've been 1-6 without him while averaging something like 225 yards a game passing. As Yourface already stated, the correlation between throwing for a ton of yards and winning football games isn't there. 

Our offense was struggling bad when DD was playing. A combination of DD as a threat to run himself and having few turnovers guided us to some wins we probably shouldn't have had. When the rookies went in, no one respected them as a threat to run and the pass rush heated up, combined with some very poor decisions and the Int's followed. Our offense was bad before Durant got hurt but we were managing to gut the wins out, now without him we have tanked and its been painful to watch, for me anyway I'm sure others have enjoyed it. Long storey short is as Drew learns when to force it and when not to he will improve. His blitz recognition also seems to be improving as the year goes along, another good sign.

Really? Is it that ridiculous to think that passing yards are overrated when evaluating a quarterback? Or that Willy needs to make better decisions with the ball in his hands?