Kyle Walters

Floyd

no one has said they don't count, the main issue is that we have had to use guys off the scrap heap that other teams don't have any use for because we can't recruit players. Talking about the Kuales and the Romby Bryants etc. With proper recruiting you don't need those guys around. You should be able to find rookies down south. I am willing to give them more time because changing regimes can make that first year iffy, but it vital that they do a better job this offseason. 

Kyle Walters technically hasn't even been the Gm for a full year yet, technically he was hired late November of last season.

Little too quick to judge i think, Gonna take some time to get where we need to be, Really not sure why people think all/most of the problems we had the last several years could be fixed in less than one year. 

no one has said they don't count, the main issue is that we have had to use guys off the scrap heap that other teams don't have any use for because we can't recruit players. Talking about the Kuales and the Romby Bryants etc. With proper recruiting you don't need those guys around. You should be able to find rookies down south. I am willing to give them more time because changing regimes can make that first year iffy, but it vital that they do a better job this offseason. 

Fair enough, but the term "scrap heap" would only apply to a minority of the 13 guys you bolded.

I would not give Walters an A+ this year but I appreciate many of the things he's done to change this team and his approach.  And not all of the moves that I've liked have worked.  We have yet to see any reward from bringing in Alexander, and after the swath of NI injuries we've had you think he'd somehow make it onto the field in a more significant role.  The draft picks are still more going out than coming in.  Import incumbents need more and better challengers.  He's taken some swings and missed.  Part of the business.  He's very safely in the "pass" zone in a pass/fail business right now.

I agree in some aspects. For an example, one only has to look at the receivers that were brought in for training camp, not one of them were good enough, and the ones that have been on the PR of which there have been several, they're gone. There is only one left on the PR now, so you can't actually call that good scouting. BC seems to have no trouble finding one very good receiver after another.

Trades - C+

overpaying, maybe has no choice

Bucknor deal looking really good

don't like the Brohm trade

Neufeld trade looking bad

You didn't mention the Willy trade. Walters has done something that other GMs couldn't - get us a QB. That alone gives him an A in my books.

Trades - C+

You didn't mention the Willy trade. Walters has done something that other GMs couldn't - get us a QB. That alone gives him an A in my books.

Any of Collaros, Willy or Burris would have been a huge upgrade over last year.  Walters couldn't make a bad choice at QB unless he decided he didn't want any of them.

Trades - C+

Any of Collaros, Willy or Burris would have been a huge upgrade over last year.  Walters couldn't make a bad choice at QB unless he decided he didn't want any of them.

Collaros would have been a good choice.  IMO, not Burris.  At this point in his career Burris is pretty much done.   He has this season and maybe next season.   Unless the rest of the team is fielding a contender, you might as well be trying to find your QB of the future.  

And the rest of our team wasn't and isn't a contender.

Trades - C+

Sure he could have. Collaros is useless if kept inside the pocket, and Burris will be out of the league likely after his current contract ends and we'd be back to square one.

Trades - C+

This year was a bit of a different situation though, there were probably 4 different qbs available that would have been a decent pickup, that hasn't happened in a while. Hell when Mack first got here he did a similar thing and grabbed Pierce and Jyles as the two guys who were the best FA pickups in the CFL. 

Just a hunch but I believe Drew Tate will be traded this of season. Matt Nicholls in Edmonton may also be available. One of those 2 will be going to Ottawa. I could see Desjardins in Ottawa cutting Hank & his big salary if he could get one of those guys, especially Tate.

Neither of those decisions would make sense for those teams unless they have backups that can replace their #2 QB's.  I'm sure they don't want to venture down the road that Sask. has trod this year.

I also think Huff would part with Drew Tate for the CFL first pick in the draft next May as well as a starter or two to help solidify either a need or depth. Stay tuned once the off season starts. 

There's no way Tate fetches that kind of return. The max Tate gets you is the same first BC gave up for Glenn. 

I also think Huff would part with Drew Tate for the CFL first pick in the draft next May as well as a starter or two to help solidify either a need or depth. Stay tuned once the off season starts. 

There's no way Tate fetches that kind of return. The max Tate gets you is the same first BC gave up for Glenn. 

Look what Marcel Desjardins paid for Hank. Just to keep him out of our hands. No way he was worth what he was paid. And he did that with Casey Printers as well when he was Ti Cats GM. Big contract no return. So there is a history of overpaying (panicking) with Desjardins. Nothing he does would surprise me.

Why would Huff trade Tate? We have witnessed this year the cost of not having an experienced viable back up at QB this season in Sask. BC, Edm , Cal and even Ham have had the benefit of depth at QB.

To save on money & if Huff thinks the backup is ready to actually play. The other thing is loyalty. Tate may be a wingnut at times but he's been a loyal soldier & I believe that Huff would accomodate him if he requested a trade. Besides, to get another quality Canadian player with the #1 draft pick, with Huff's rep as a great drafter I think it would benefit both teams. Like I said, just a hunch. 

But would a team give up a 1st round pick for an injury prone QB.

I think you have to Jacquie in their situation if it is presented. Hank will be 41 next year. He's not just the present but the past as well. So, they will have to upgrade the position sooner rather than later. I don't think there's even a 2 year window for Ottawa to do that at qb. Who knows, Tate may never get injured again, right? At 30, he may have a number of good seasons left. One thing I do know for sure is that Tate will never be the starting qb long term ever again in Calgary & he knows it too.

Just like us, Ottawa needs to build up their national depth. Trading picks will hurt them way more than they can benefit from Tate.

Also, if they wanted Tate why would they not have taken him in the expansion draft?

He wasn't available.  He was protected.

Just like us, Ottawa needs to build up their national depth. Trading picks will hurt them way more than they can benefit from Tate.

Also, if they wanted Tate why would they not have taken him in the expansion draft?

He wasn't available.  He was protected.

Teams could only protect one QB and there's no way the Stamps protected Tate over Mitchell. And if they had there's no way the RedBlacks would have taken Glenn over Mitchell.