Bombers Looking to Trade Korey Banks

Rich

oh well, is this really that big of a deal?

Traded a national player to get him, extended him to a new deal including a signing bonus... yes it's at least a moderate deal. It shows that our GM completely misjudged a player, that is a concern.

Yeah from the standpoint of cutting a player who wasn't making the team better it's the right move, but the fact that they made the moves they did to get this guy only to have it not do anything for them, that raises questions about the management here. 

It probably cost us 65-70K (50K Bonus + 15K CBA + Pay) of SMS room.  The Optics are horrible.  I raises GM competency questions.  It brings up O'Shea or the highway or locker room problems after the first game of the season.  It brings up lying to the media (I know lots of folks think thats the right thing to do).  

IF Banks is a locker room problem and/or he's was beat out for his spot, then just say it and cut him.  He's hasn't got much if any trade value anyway.

not sure why anyone thinks the optics matter, its football. who gives a crap about optics. They made a mistake. Its really that simple. You think the average fan gives a crap about optics? nope, all the average fan cares about is winning. This board was awfully quiet the day after the bombers won that game... funny thing, im willing to bet the second they lose, that its not so quiet the next day.

Optics? who cares about optics. 

The average fan sees we went out and got a great vet in Banks (they don't know he was on his last legs, they just know the name), that Banks looked to bleed Blue and Gold from day 1 and now he's on his way out the door.  They see tweets and probably an article or two that say 'Don't piss off O'Shea' and they wonder what's going on.  As long as we keep winning, they won't care.  If we don't and we have DB problems, then they will wonder out loud if Banks was really the problem.  So yes... I do think optics matter.

And here we go with the GM competency posts and a swipe at the HC too.

And earlier than normal….triple bonus!

Geez, I forgot about the lying…the constant lying.

Think of where we'd be without the lying.

Did I miss anything?

Yup, the cost, in Winnipeg of all places where the cost of players is hotly debated because we expect to get more for less.

And here we go with the GM competency posts and a swipe at the HC too.

And earlier than normal….triple bonus!

Geez, I forgot about the lying…the constant lying.

Think of where we'd be without the lying.

Did I miss anything?

Yup, the cost, in Winnipeg of all places where the cost of players is hotly debated because we expect to get more for less.

They are simply trying to fill that void that you always seem to bring up, that gap between what we spend and what other teams spend, remember? we never seem to spend to the limit like other teams do.

This is your fault.

oh well, is this really that big of a deal?

Traded a national player to get him, extended him to a new deal including a signing bonus... yes it's at least a moderate deal. It shows that our GM completely misjudged a player, that is a concern.

Yeah from the standpoint of cutting a player who wasn't making the team better it's the right move, but the fact that they made the moves they did to get this guy only to have it not do anything for them, that raises questions about the management here. 

You bring in a guy with the hope he can contribute. If he doesn't fit what you thought you were getting you cut ties and move on. Welcome to pro sports. It's much better than previous regimes that would hang on to players for the course of a season (Hefney, Johnson, to name a couple, there's many more) when it was painfully obvious they were done.

Or out of pure hubris, the mistakes aren't admitted and instead we play inferior players instead of those who deserve to be on the field.  No GM is perfect. I'm not ecstatic about the mistake but I am happy they are moving on quickly. Let those who have never made an error in judgment cast the first stone.

The average fan sees we went out and got a great vet in Banks (they don't know he was on his last legs, they just know the name), that Banks looked to bleed Blue and Gold from day 1 and now he's on his way out the door.  They see tweets and probably an article or two that say 'Don't piss off O'Shea' and they wonder what's going on.  As long as we keep winning, they won't care.  If we don't and we have DB problems, then they will wonder out loud if Banks was really the problem.  So yes... I do think optics matter.

Not the first veteran player to have been cut because he didn't live up to expectations. This is a process. We're going to be bringing in veteran players to find out if they still can compete & play. Remember we had a GM before who didn't bring in free agents. Some will make it, some won't. I think it would be far worse to keep a player on the team who can't play anymore eating up salary needlessly because the optics might look bad rather than cutting him. 

It probably cost us 65-70K (50K Bonus + 15K CBA + Pay) of SMS room.  The Optics are horrible.  I raises GM competency questions.  It brings up O'Shea or the highway or locker room problems after the first game of the season.  It brings up lying to the media (I know lots of folks think thats the right thing to do).  

IF Banks is a locker room problem and/or he's was beat out for his spot, then just say it and cut him.  He's hasn't got much if any trade value anyway.

Oh good grief. Talk about dramatically over-stating the issues for the sole purpose of finding an excuse to piss and moan. Eeyore strikes again.

Not sure I get your point here. In his prime, Korey was a halfback yes, and Milts' first year on the panel he actually picked him as his first player over a QB in some mock draft they were doing (I believe it was if you were starting a franchise and you could have any one player in the CFL as your first player who would it be). Obviously, Milt felt he was the best DB in the league he had to play against, so high praise indeed. But I remember that, because that season, Banks struggled in the DB position, and after that year, he started transistioning to LINEBACKER. 

And when the bombers signed him, they signed him as a LINEBACKER. In the preseason games, he played as a LINEBACKER. When he didn't play in game one, his replacement - Johnny Sears I believe it was - played LINEBACKER. 

So what does the comment of our DB's have anything to do with Banks? 

Banks asked for his release because he doesn't like his role after one week.

Guess he's not a lead by example guy...

Very similar to Armstrong, Banks also balking at being a DI.

So much for "do anything to win" he was preaching when we traded for him. If he's asking for his release he should have to pay his bonus back.

It sucks to lose the money tied up in Banks, but the more I think about it, the more I love this move. It shows that Walters and O'Shea won't take any bullshit from anyone. It'll be a slap upside the head for the entire team. Play for the team or **** right off. Nothing like this would have happened the past few years.

I have no doubts that cutting Banks is the best thing for the roster on the field, no doubts about that. But it's a black eye for the GM there's no two ways about that. We gave up an asset and cash for a guy who didn't play a snap for us, that's just not a good move and it makes you wonder about how we scout players on other teams. Should have done their homework. At his point trading Poblah for a 7th round pick would have been better value. 

Definitely a mistake by Walters, but you know what, at least he admitted it and moved on quick. Fix the locker room and maintain it. That was a huge project after last season.

It's unfortunate it came to this, but I'm stoked so see O'Shea remodel the team psyche.