Bombers Looking to Trade Korey Banks

Rich

For the look see. and determination of ability, I don't see any problem with trying to move Banks, especially if, in the roster big picture, we've moved beyond Banks and his veteran worth.

And by the way, I know of a team, who were recently in town, who look like they desperately need some veteran presence on defence.

I love this move. Leadership is literally the only thing that Banks gives us at this point. I don't want Sears off the field and frankly, Dunn is better than him at this point. I suppose injury "depth" is nice to have but would he want to be in that role? Doubtful.

To play a bit of Devil's Advocate here, the sample size for Banks as a Bomber is extremely tiny.  Yes, he definitely dropped off in BC last year, but when comparing him to guys like Dunn and Sears (who has been injured frequently), I'm not sure I agree with the thinking that our current players are so far and away better than Banks that he's expendable. 

That's usually a fair argument, but having a down year at 33 years old is a little different than having one at 25 or 26. Football players have an expiry, especially ones that rely on speed and physicality like Banks does. I was fine with the move to acquire him because we really didn't know what we had. I'm not saying one week determines what we have either but Sears when healthy has been an excellent player in this league and Dunn brings more tools to the table right now.

I love this move. Leadership is literally the only thing that Banks gives us at this point. I don't want Sears off the field and frankly, Dunn is better than him at this point. I suppose injury "depth" is nice to have but would he want to be in that role? Doubtful.

To play a bit of Devil's Advocate here, the sample size for Banks as a Bomber is extremely tiny.  Yes, he definitely dropped off in BC last year, but when comparing him to guys like Dunn and Sears (who has been injured frequently), I'm not sure I agree with the thinking that our current players are so far and away better than Banks that he's expendable. 

That's usually a fair argument, but having a down year at 33 years old is a little different than having one at 25 or 26. Football players have an expiry, especially ones that rely on speed and physicality like Banks does. I was fine with the move to acquire him because we really didn't know what we had. I'm not saying one week determines what we have either but Sears when healthy has been an excellent player in this league and Dunn brings more tools to the table right now.

That's exactly what I was (and already did) going to say. Banks best before date is long past, he's not 'young' enough to have a 'bounce back' year. He's not a 'skill' player per say. He's lost a step, and he's not as physical as he once was (I'm not dissing him here I'm sure his body is pretty banged up now he physically just can't). Buono was releasing him guaranteed. I never would have traded for him, and I wouldn't have signed him as an FA either. As I mentioned I get why Walters traded for him but why on earth would you sign him to an extension? LIke you say AKA - if he's 25/26 I get it, he's 34 now and done. 

I was excited for the move at the time, but I am more excited about what I've seen from his replacements so far. I have a feeling he has lost his starting job and the Bombers are trying to do him a favour and give him an opportunity to still play. I suspect like others have mentioned, his best chance would be with Ottawa and that's where he will probably be sent. 

I got a feeling Oshea don't like him.

If we can somehow exchange Kory Banks (34) for Kyries Heber (33), I'll be all for it. Heber is versatile player and can play mutiple position on D.

Heber and Kuale will be scary combination on the LB, that's for sure.

Banks has done everything you want from a vet since they signed him. 

Aside from a few energetic tweets and interviews in the days after the deal, what else has he done exactly?

He was the talk of the town when we hired him.  

He bought into the Bombers day one.

IIRC he called FA's to sell the Bombers.

He immediately assumed the vet leader role that we were completely lacking.

He was considered our biggest pick up until Willy, even though Randle was the best DB we signed.

I was/am expecting him to get a starting spot or at least DI.

Too bad it didn't work out. I knew there was something up when during tc O'Shea told the media, that Banks told him he was 'taking a day off' and Mike didn't know what that meant. Seems to have been some conflict there.Koreys experience was/is an asset but when ol father time catches up, the writing is on the wall. Younger guys coming on board tipped the scales I guess. I don't think we'll get much in a trade but I imagine Walters will give it a go. This signing was a bust. We move on.

Banks has done everything you want from a vet since they signed him.

Aside from a few energetic tweets and interviews in the days after the deal, what else has he done exactly?

He was the talk of the town when we hired him.  

He bought into the Bombers day one.

IIRC he called FA's to sell the Bombers.

He immediately assumed the vet leader role that we were completely lacking.

He was considered our biggest pick up until Willy, even though Randle was the best DB we signed.

I was/am expecting him to get a starting spot or at least DI.

All of this means nothing.

We need players who can make plays, you can't win a job because he was the talk of the town, because he bought in, because he assumed a role, because he was considered a big signing, or because it seemed like a good idea at the time.

If true and it likely is I don't find this a bad thing. KW signed the first big vet he could and why wouldn't he? He had no idea what players would be brought in or how good they might be. If they trade or release him it just means the guys they brought in were better which means the scouts did their job. I have nothing against banks and if they keep him that's fine. I doubt this was a long term signing from the start.

A few thoughts on the Banks situation:

- Looks like Wally may have been right in that Banks has lost a step

- I recall a week or so into training camp, O'Shea said Banks took a "vet day" off and you could tell in O'Shea's presser that he wasn't impressed

- Seems like Banks is more of a Jovon Johnson type 'leader'...a bit of a loudmouth punk

- Banks helped recruit Nick Moore and Chris Randle, so if the cost of that was $50,000 and Kito, I'm okay with that.

- Bombers ate $35k when they cut Hefney

- The way the roster stands now, I don't see where Banks fits in; its a good thing that it appears the scouting department did a better job than expected

I always have concerns about what this sort of thing does within the room, but we have no way of knowing how KB is viewed within the room. Do the guys like him? Is he a jerk maybe? A diva (...or a c***?) All we can do is trust Walters and the coaches.

Why is everyone accepting this rumour as fact?

Penton is very connected with Walter and is extremely credible.

Penton said it was a CFL source, not a Bomber source. And Penton and his sources have been wrong.

He's connected league wide as well.

Doesn't mean his sources are always right. 

Bombers sign banks and fans hail it as a great move.

Bombers rumoured to be trading banks and fans hail it as a great move.

If Banks stays with bombers, fans will hail it as a great movie.

As Mr.P says do a search on my comments (over at Our bombers) - I never liked that move. We sign him as a free agent after he was cut from B.C., I'd be ok with it. But a trade for a guy who was getting cut? Obviously you're in the 'Banks' camp aren't ya?